Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit TV Horror Fest « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Sir Graves Ghastly, The Ghoul, Count Scary or Martial Arts Film Host Charlie Lum(Jim Harper-WNIC fm)? What are some of your memories of these Saturday Horror Film Hosts?

I recall Sir Graves songs. He used to have himself and some others do these upside down chin faces and sing some sort of themed songs. They were pretty funny as I recall.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane - There was a post recently... "Sir Graves, Now this" when Bozo recently died. But, yes, Sir Graves was my favorite and I do remember the chin thing. It was on Saturdays, I think around 1:00 just after American Bandstand.

Alienjerky
Username: Alienjerky

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend is a stagehand and had worked on Sir Graves once, he operated the mouth on "The Voice OF Doom". Said he was a very nice guy & fun to work with. But as short as a lawn gnome. He lived in Cleveland & came up here every 2 weeks to tape his Detroit segments. He had all the song portions of the show on tape that was shot in Cleveland, where he also had a show. He said he knows the Ghoul and didn;t have anything bad to say about him. I think his name was Laws Dawson. "And NOW let's look at the ART GHOULERY, Kiddies. NYAHH HA HA HA HA!". He also showed "Dusty's Trail". An old west copy of Gilligan's Island.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved watching Sir Graves back when it was on.

But based on what I know now, I'm just ticked that I didn't go out and buy a Betamax to tape some of them.

I thought Jim Harper did "Ric Shaw's: Take that, take out theater"?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alienjerky,
Graves' real name was Lawson Deming.
Anybody here old enough to remember Detroit TV's first Horror movie host The Black Spider?

Diane12163

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey All! I Found some great websites you can visit!
www.sirgravesghastly.com (Excellent Site)
www.kungfoocinema.com (This is a forum which talks about Jim Harper(Charlie Lum) and his sidekick (Round eyes). The programme showed on Saturday nights at 11:30 and was a double feature.
www.myspace.com/ghoulpower (The Ghoul's official myspace page with blogs and pics.
www.theghoul.net (The Ghoul's website)
www.tvacres.com/horror_c.htm (Count Scary(Tom Ryan))
p223.ezboard.com (Milford's vintage Detroit TV and movie board>Detroit horror TV)This is for The Black Spider.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another from the past:

http://www.morgus.com/

or for a great reference:

http://www.americanscary.com/

Alienjerky

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ed, I was sort of close.
Sorry, never heard of the Black Spider. What year was that?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WXYZ, circa 1955

Alienjerky

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember "Fun news"? I think it was that era. A split screen with cartoons , news, & weather running in 3 corners.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The earliest horror show I remember was "Shock Theater", hosted by Boris Karloff. It wasn't a local production, of course, but would come on about 11:30 on Friday or Saturday night, probably in the early '60's. I used to get goosebumps just waiting for it to start, since Boris' spooky voice would do the introduction.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alienjerky, you named the Fun News (Funnews, I think it may have been spelled, and I am so glad to hear that someone else remembers it. I'm quite sure that my older brother remembers it, but no one else to whom I have mentioned it has any awareness of it at all.
Of course, that was back when your "television set" could be used as an anchor for a fairly large freighter.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Dark Shadows with Barnabas Collins as the vampire. My friends parent wouldn't let them watch it they were very catholic.
God I miss all the 60's 70's shows that were politically incorrect.

Diane12163

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lefty2. My sisters, mom and I watched it all the time. We were catholic. Well, mom and sisters still are. I'm recovering and a gladly born again Christian. I thought the show was pretty cheesy but fun. Kate Jackson got her start on the soap, too.

Ravine

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a young fella, I really enjoyed the way the channel 7 daily afternoon movie-- "The Big Show"-- would run monster movies during the days leading up to Halloween.
Turn out the lights, curl up in a chair, eat Cinnamon Crisps and watch monsters on The Big Show. Oh yeah.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2, there was a "Dark Shadows" con out here 2 or 3 weeks ago. I heard the place was packed wall-to-wall

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir Graves showed "Missile To The Moon" several times. That movie had the corny rock monsters which really, really scared me.

Ravine

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Vetalalumni! Are you sitting down?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= vkGPSy_2qoo

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Ravine! Still gives me chills.

Alienjerky

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you were REAL EARLY RISERS like my brother & I, you got to watch the "Farm report" (endless shots of tractors, fields,& cattle) and "Industry on Parade"
(Scenes of factories, and lots of SPARKS) which always came on before "Fun news". Then it was "Wixie Wonderland" time. Our early 50's TV was a MUNTZ 19" in a blond wood cabnet with two wood doors that opened to reveal the screen. It took a while for it to warm up & get a picture. It had RABBIT EARS that had to be twisted around to help get each channel. My grandmother decided what we watched at night, so we learned to HATE Laurence Welk , Mitch Miller & Andy Williams. Ah wunnerful, ah wunnerful my ASS!

Diane12163

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alienjerky-I agree. I never liked Lawrence Welk. I liked Ed Sullivan a lot more.

Here's a question: I used to watch a science show that was a half hour one and local I think to Detroit. It was a younger guy, tallish and lanky who hosted it and he would do experiments. Oft times something would go wrong and he would sort of flub his way through it. It was very funny. It wasn't Bill Nye or Beakman. This was shown in the 80's and early 90's. I'm guessing on Channel 7 but, it might have been another channel.

Hopefully you can come up with who it was. Thanks in advance.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Kidbits, with Gary Ed Mach on channel 4.

Diane12163

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ED_golick---Thank you a million. Dinner's on me. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.