Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Please vote "Yes" on Aug. 5th to save the Detroit Zoo » Archive through August 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we have all seen on TV and in the newspapers everyone asking people to vote YES to save the zoo. They say the tax is $10 a year if you own a $200,000 home. Well for each $10,000 less than the original $200,000 it goes down .50 I figured for a home valued at $60,000 you would only pay a $3 yearly tax.

Please everyone let's not lose this gem.

Also tomorrow, Aug. 1 is the zoo's 80th birthday. They are going to have inflatables, face painting for the kids and in yesterday's newspaper it also said they are giving away free ice cream and cake.

I would love to see this zoo around for our grandchildrens grandchildren.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As bad as Detroits taxes are $3 won't hardly be noticed.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be a real shame to lose the zoo. I am voting yes because I do not want to have to take my kids to Toledo just to see an elephant!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will ...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uhh Scooter, the Detroit Zoo ain't got no elephants! They were shipped off the the elephant resort in CA several years ago.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Winky and Wanda, were sent to a preserve of some sort. I remember "talking" to them when I'd visit the zoo. They'd always respond in their wonderful elephant-language.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 457
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember if it was Winky or Wanda, but one of the elephants died recently.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elephants? big deal!
I see pink ones nearly every weekend! =)

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got to vote yes just so I can still ride the train.

Giver108
Username: Giver108

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be voting "No" based upon the zoo's support of the bill in 2006 that eliminated the opportunity for dove hunting in Michigan. What comes around, goes around...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I will be voting "No" based upon the zoo's support of the bill in 2006 that eliminated the opportunity for dove hunting in Michigan. What comes around, goes around...

And then you won't be able to hunt doves OR go to the zoo. Makes sense to me.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winky was euthanized in April 2008 and Wanda, 50, still lives in the PAWS sanctuary in California.

VOTE YES FOR THE ZOO

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3205
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm, what is a zoo without Elephants? :-(

I'm definitely voting yes.

BTW, Giver11's vote won't matter if enough people vote yes.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3558
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, if only it were that simple, Faygoredpop.

What the tax hike supporters fail to realize is: 1.) Michigan is in a recession and will be in a recession for some time now, and 2.) what about the laundry-list of other taxes that people pay?

$10 here...$1,500 there, $2,000 somewhere else. The next thing you know, we'll be talking about real money.

And what I've found interesting is that if the tax supporters were to save their advertising budget (TV commercials cost a lot to produce and air...to say nothing about the billboards springing up around town) and plow those funds back into the Zoo, I highly doubt that this tax would be necessary.

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would encourage everyone to vote yes. I agree $10 for this, $5 for this ect. adds up, but $10 to save a great attraction like the Detroit Zoo is a small amount so please stop bitching. You will appreciate it when you can take your family there.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3560
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Placing animals from the wild in faux-exhibits and charging people to see them is not a place that I would take my family to.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5166
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. Bring back chimps on bikes!

(vote yes.)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7937
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Placing animals from the wild in faux-exhibits and charging people to see them is not a place that I would take my family to.

Yes, because we all know the Zoo gets their animals by sending their staff to capture healthy, happy animals in the African savannah and dragging them back to Detroit for our amusement.

http://www.detroitzoo.org/Savi ng_Wildlife/Our_Mission/Zoo_An imal_Origins/

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7938
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They DO do the exact opposite though.

http://www.detroitzoo.org/Savi ng_Wildlife/Our_Mission/Reintr oduction/

(Do do? Is that proper English?)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh goodness, now we will start having animal activist come on here preaching their non-sense to us...

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd even pay $20/yr without question; even if only go once every few years, it adds a huge value to the region.

I've been encouraging my entire family to get out and vote YES as well.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know where we can got the "Vote Yes on the Zoo signs" I see on a few intersections? I'd love to pick up a few and place them in strategic locations.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And what I've found interesting is that if the tax supporters were to save their advertising budget (TV commercials cost a lot to produce and air...to say nothing about the billboards springing up around town) and plow those funds back into the Zoo, I highly doubt that this tax would be necessary."

Get educated on the numbers before making ignorant comments.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7941
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ourzooisworthkeepin g.org/support/dzs/request_a_ya rd_sign/

You can request one here. Although I did awhile ago and never received one. They may be out.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The zoo must be saved, vote yes.

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't really kept up with this issue. But I do have a question for those more knowledgable. Who owns and operates the zoo now? I thought a couple years ago the operation of the zoo was transferred to a private entity because the city was unable to support it (I may be wrong on these details, so any clarification would be appreciated). Now we're still being asked to raise our taxes to support it? I'm a big time liberal and I gladly agree to taxes that are socially beneficial. And I think every metro area needs a zoo for it's educational value. HOWEVER, it is frustrating to hear that the zoo needs to be saved when I thought it was saved a couple years ago.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a proud, limited tax conservative type, I will be voting yes on the millage for the zoo.

Of course, this is a targeted area with a respected management group upholding a great resource for the city (and metropolitan area) as opposed to most of the other general fund requests to fatten up the pot for the bloated swine!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7948
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who owns and operates the zoo now? I thought a couple years ago the operation of the zoo was transferred to a private entity because the city was unable to support it

The operation of the Zoo was transferred to the Detroit Zoological Society. The Zoo was NOT saved a couple years ago. A couple years ago is when Detroit dropped their funding of the Zoo, as well as their administrative role which also costs money. The State kept the Zoo afloat temporarily until the millage could be put on the ballot.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 509
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Get educated on the numbers before making ignorant comments."

You want to eliminate half of the forum?

Vote yes. ^^^and what Irish Mafia said

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)