Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Rockin' Radio « Previous Next »
Archive through August 05, 2008Kenp30 08-05-08  9:49 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Beat goes on/Switch into Glide" by the KingBees"

I still hear that one periodically. A classic!

WLLZ for awhile was the "rock & sports station" and would broadcast live games. That concept did not last too long.

What I think ultimatly did them in was their switch to a more "alternative" playlist and an MTV affiliation.They became too similar to 89x and 96.3 and less appealing to their loyal "album-rock" audience. At least the quiet storm/"smooth jazz station replacing it wasnt a total waste.Its been on for years with no real competition.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beat goes on/Switch into Glide is by the Kings

My Mistake is by the Kingbees

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, nice link. Jyoungvoa, Great stuff. I'm at work so I can't type to much. My sisters both worked at W4 back in the late 70's, 80,s and 90's. One sister was Traffic director who was the longest employee back through the rock and country years. Sort of unheard of for anyone to last that long at any station nowday's. Thanks Shamrock.
My other sister was promotion director. Oh some great stories of a brother hanging around the station and never having to pay for a concert. I myself went to Specs back in the early 80's and had the opportunity to work for a couple of years at WMJC through it's format change to WCSX.
I worked with Detroit voice-over king Tom Ingram doing copywriting, voiceovers, production and some overnights on the weekends both on FM and sister station WHND Honey Radio.
Some old radio giants from the old day's on Honey. Bogie Bryant and Ted "The Bear" Richards. I remember when the PD brought in Tom Shannon to do mornings on WMJC. He shared some space with me in one of the production offices. He used more AquaNet then my mother.

(Message edited by Servite76 on August 05, 2008)

(Message edited by Servite76 on August 05, 2008)

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Bowie before he was Bowie and still Jones was with a group for awhile called The KingBees. I'm pretty sure that isn't the same group as the KingBees who did My Mistake.

Jyoungvoa
Username: Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok guys, got "Beat/Switch" wrong. Can't remember everything. Must have been all those parties.

But I'll never forget the dog on the stoop at Lyndon...

(Message edited by Jyoungvoa on August 05, 2008)

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also recall Chuck Santoni working on air at WLLZ and then later was the PD. He was at W4 doing country prior to that and married Sharron Foster who was W4. Unfortunately, Sharron past away sometime in the late 90's or in early 2000.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of great stories from my brief radio career, heres one of my best from KPOI FM in Honolulu Hawaii. Every few months the local police would team up with the military for Operation Green Harvest. Military choppers would use binoculars to search for pakalolo growing on the lanais/balconies of the many high rise condos/apt buildings on the island that could not be seen from the street. They would then radio the cops on the ground and they would make the bust. While on the air I got a phone call from a listener saying the choppers were up in the Pearl Ridge area. I had an intern dig up a helicopter sound effect which I played while giving an on air chopper alert. These alerts became very popular and I got many cards and calls from people thanking me for saving their plants. Then one day I got called in to a staff meeting, they even sent a car for me. I walked into a room filled with Honolulu Police, DEA agents, Marine brass, and the FCC people as well as my PD and GM. I would not have been surprised to see Steve Mc Garett from Five 0 there. (Interesting side note; there never was a Hawaii Five 0 unit, it was purely fictitious, yet the local police dept still gets calls from mainland police departments asking for it.) Anyway, my chopper alerts came to an end that day. Any more mentions of choppers, pakalolo, etc and I was going to jail and the station was losing their license.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always pissed at Wheels for us losing w4 and abx but thats all part of the game. In time I listened to wrif and wllz equally.
Spent many a fine night at the ritz, hayloft and my all time favorite, Harpos, listening to rock acts.
I remember every xmas Bob Bauers charity. Was it wheels for meals?? Met Bob and partied with him in a very strange place once. The Rose Bowl parade in Pasadena. We passed the bottle around a few times.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera: That Honolulu story is a keeper! Reminds me of my earlier days (mid 70s) in Miami, and some of the things that went on.

Another 8001 Lyndon anecdote of mine, now that the statute of limitations has run out. One morning going to work at Wheels, I got off the Lodge and went south on Livernois on the way down to Lyndon. It was about quarter to 5am. Out of the middle of nowhere, two guys stepped out into the street for what might have been a "hospitality welcome" to the neighborhood. One looked like he had a tire iron...the other's hands were empty. The guy with the tire iron stepped right in front of my car, obviously trying to get me to slam on the brakes. Wrong. I felt a "thump" as I veered, and saw him rolling around in the street, but still very much alive. I nailed it and burned rubber just in case his friend had a piece. I didn't go that way (down Livernois from the Lodge) for weeks after that, expecting "round two." But it never happened, fortunately. My wife went bezerk when I told her what happened. But a couple of months later, someone where she worked (Cass Corridor) got shot in the company parking lot. That put things in perspective for her, finally. Just another day at "the rockin' best."

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Brings new meaning to the old saying, "when things go bump in the night." :-)

Downriviera

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tire mark across that guys chest could have made for a great WLLZ logo.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

707 were guys from Detroit. The Kings were Canadian. Another fave from those days was "Last Chance" by Shooting Star; I believe I still have the LP.

Didn't "Dick the Bruiser" cover that Kings song? I think that was when he and Johnson were still a.m. drive at the 'Riff. In fact I'm sure of it, because I remember one line: "nothing matters but the weekend, from the Bruiser's point of view".

Kenp

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Switch into Glide" I think was "Get ya good high" by the bruiser.

Kenp

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, its catch a good high

http://www.motorcityrock.com/b ands/dick_the_bruiser_band/aud io/dick_the_bruiser_band_catch _a_good_high_wrif.mp3

Downriviera

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the Bruiser version of 96 Tears....96 Beers

Kenp

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this links has 96 beers and others
http://www.motorcityrock.com/b ands/dick_the_bruiser_band/dic k_the_bruiser_band_discography .html

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jyoungvoa, what was the real reason Stern got fired from W4?

An ex worked with Scott Shannon, she liked him, try as he might the guy just couldn't crack the LA market & that cost everybody millions...

the Kings, from Vancouver not L.A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =O2Wr8J8faGA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T he_Kings

The Kingbees, Jamie James(also Canadian) signed by RSO Records out of Ann Arbor? They were supposed to be The Stray Cats 2 or 3 years before them...he wound up living next door to a friend out here, working at a guitar shop. My friend couldn't believe it when I was telling him how the guy had played the same stage as U2 a week apart in Royal Oak, but there's too many lousy stories in the music business...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J amie_James

Downriviera

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kingbees reformed around 1995 for some club dates, saw them at the Pier 500 in Wyandotte.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj:

As I brought up in an earlier post, Stern was canned from W4 in December, 1980, just days after the Fall 1980 ARB (Arbitron Research Bureau) radio ratings for Detroit came out. WLLZ debuted (debuted!) in that "book" as the #1 station in Detroit , total persons 12+. W4 was slaughtered. It went from, I recall, a 3.something "share" to an "asterisk" (below a 1 share) because of Wheels. (WRIF and ABX also got pounded.) The impact of the Fall 1980 book was so massive on Shamrock that it changed W4 from album rock to country within a week after the "book" came out, and that cost Howard his job. Also as I mentioned, Stern has NEVER admitted in either his book or the movie (Private Parts) that he was crushed by Wheels. He only said the station went country.

As for Scott Shannon, don't get me started. Let me put it to you this way. Don't ever work for someone who is a different "monster" every fifteen minutes. You just had to have been there and experienced it all to get a perspective such as mine, which is from first-hand experience. (I left another NYC station to join him in the WHTZ-FM "Z-100 Z Morning Zoo.") If you do a bit of thinking here, you might pick up on what kind of a problem might be involved. I am being very careful with my words to prevent any possible avenue of litigation. Yeah, he crashed and burned hugely at "Pirate Radio" in LA. But he came back to New York and became PD at ABC O&O WPLJ-FM. Maybe he has straightened out in recent years. I don't care. Kefaya! (Arabic for "enough.")

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Professorscott

707 were guys from Detroit.

They had a minor hit with the theme song from the extra craptacular movie MEGAFORCE.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Program Director? Who needs a program director, those dead hippie stations have been playing the same tired shit for almost 40 years.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People I knew used to say WLLZ stood for "We Love Led Zeppelin" or "Whole lotta Led Zeppelin".

i remember that comment too...

KPOI. isnt that the station Ivan Dixon (hogans heroes Kinchloe) owned until about 2002? his character was from Detroit...

ya'll like how i tied that all in to US?

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A thought to all of you. You're incredible, remembering things so far back that they could almost have been in another lifetime. And in a way, such things were for many of us. So much has happened since the late summer of 1980. We've gotten older, lost people dear to us along the way, done our best to get what we wanted, and learned to live with the disappointments that are inevitable in that quest. It has been...life. I found this forum by way of the "Ruins of Detroit" website, which saddened me with its graphic depictions of a city that has seen many of its features, some very impressive, be lost. Some by neglect, some by malice. And yet, the people in Detroit go on. You have. That's worth some respect. For me, Detroit is where my present life began. So, it will always be remembered well, for all it was and is.

(Message edited by Jyoungvoa on August 05, 2008)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last free form or so called underground radio station to broadcast in the Detroit area was Windsor's CJOM, affectionately known as "The Chomper".

No holds barred in their playlist, they even went as far as to air tunes by would be Beatle, Charles Manson and Nielson's infamous "You're Breaking My Heart, So Fuck You".

After the early 1970's, Detroit's rock radio began to play the same three Dead Jimi, Dead Janis, and Dead Doornails jams over and over ad infinitum. Gone were the rebelious sounds, never to be heard again, by the likes of The Fugs, Mothers of Invention, David Peel and the Lower East Side, Phil Ochs, etal. Even the MC5 and Stooges stopped being played. Along came Elton John, Cat Stevens and shlock rock played by guys in spandex with socks stuffed down their pants.

Jyoungvoa, thanks for the stories about the location of the WLLZ studio. Looking back in retrospect, WLLZ would have been a vanguard if it had thumbed it's nose at the other stations who broadcast from outside of Detroit and billed itself as broadcasting "From the Bunker". It would have been really rockin' had it chose to play the then rebelious tunes from the late '70's and early 80's such as those by the B-52's, Sex Pistols, Ramones, X-Ray Specs, etc. along with the multitude of local tunes from that era.

Instead, along with other album oriented radio, WLLZ became a boring old fart.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4378
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

found this forum by way of the "Ruins of Detroit" website, which saddened me with its graphic depictions of a city that has seen many of its features, some very impressive, be lost. Some by neglect, some by malice. And yet, the people in Detroit go on. You have. That's worth some respect. For me, Detroit is where my present life began. So, it will always be remembered well, for all it was and is.

You could come back for a visit. The city is not dead yet. There are lots of non-ruined buildings too.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam:

I know Detroit's not dead. I was there last year at this time, during a plane layover I made longer so I could go into town. I was glad to see some things looking good. But, as someone who loves old buildings, I was sad to see what had happened to some of them. I always wanted one of the mansions on Trumbull or Brush Park...at least in my mind.

Sludgedaddy:

Radio's a biz, not an art form. Sure, that makes things oftentimes formulaic and boring. In recent years, with the total consolidation of the industry, it has become a commodity such as tomato paste. That's how companies such as Clear Channel run their business. And it doesn't leave much for the listener.

My last on-air gig in local radio was in the late 80s. I'm in international TV news now. That's the VOA at the end of my name.

Flyingj

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, it's a business, a pitiful one at that-you'd get beat up for wearing a Ramones shirt in Deetroit during the era Jyoungvoa speaks of...but you see more kids Ramones shirts today than can tell you who 707 or The Rockets were, frankly. Your hero is WDET's "Radios In Motion" co-host Mike Halloran, his stint @ KROQ was nothing to e-mail home about, but he became beloved @ 91X in San Diego...his work @ FM 94/9 is herculean, despite a mild heart attack;
http://www.signonsandiego.com/ feature/524/halloran.html
http://www.signonsandiego.com/ uniontrib/20041125/news_1b25ra dio.html

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio's a biz, but a very odd biz. If I were a bookseller, say, I would think that in order to make money I would have to sell a book that was somewhat different than the book being peddled by the fellow down the street. But in radio, it seems that if I want to make money I have to sell exactly the same book being peddled by the fellow down the street.

I don't know how that started, but it strikes me as very odd.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott:

Actually, bookselling and radio have a lot in common. Both primarily deal in "mass appeal" product, such as a "smash book" that everyone wants to read, or a hot new tune that has seized the airwaves. Sure, there are esoteric bookstores and radio stations (such as Pacifica) that are very narrowly programmed. But that's only a tiny portion of the market. For either bookstores or radio stations, you can't make money unless you reach out to the mass market. And that's why stations...and stores...often offer nearly the same as the competition. What these entities try to do in order to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack is conduct promotions that both "brand" the entity and siphon off traffic (listeners or customers) from the place down the street. In the case of WLLZ at sign-on, we just "bought the market" by wallpapering the town with cash. That, and being commercial-free for three months. It worked. (but, as you might imagine, the financial "hit" to the station was considerable)

Original (sign-on) WLLZ talent lineup:

6-10am Jon Larson and Jeff Young
10-3pm Steve Hipschen
3-7pm Austin Harris
7-Mid Dave Scott
Mid-6a Mike Kirven

JY

(Message edited by Jyoungvoa on August 06, 2008)

Downriviera

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave,

I was at KPOI FM in the 80's, at that time it was owned by Sudbrink Broadcasting. We had a sister station in Tampa. The call letters were originally KDUK FM. The station has been bought and sold a few times since then, so not sure if Dixon ever owned it. I started at KQMQ FM Honolulu, The Q, which was rock as well and owned by Pepsico. When the Q changed the format to top 40 I left for KPOI. I sure miss judging those bikini contests at the Shorebird beach bar in Waikiki.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera:

Oh G-D, you, too, worked for Woody Sudbrink? In '76, in Miami, I was at WFUN. Sudbrink (who also owned WLYF-FM in Ft. Lauderdale, a "Shulke strings" elevator station), changed 'FUN from Top-40 (CHR) to "Pop Standards" to better fit the sales effort at 'LYF. There I was, 23 years old, playing the likes of Vic Damone, Patti Paige, and Frankie...with a few currents like "Starland Vocal Band" thrown in to heat things up. (haha) The change in the request line action was planetary - it went from kids to boozed out old ladies overnight. I got out of there as fast as I could, but not before some of those callers had me over for "drinks and nibbles" after my shift. Quite an education for a young, energetic lad, it was. Sudbrink!

Downriviera

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jyoungvoa,

Gotta give ya props for doing morning drive. Its the only shift I couldn't handle, just not a morning person. I was supposed to fill in on mornings for a week, I lasted 2 days. They brought in a weekender to finish out the week. Funny, we got quite a few responses from listeners who liked me better than the regular guy. Had the most fun on graveyard shift, lots of parties in the studio with no management around.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera:

"lots of parties on the graveyard shift...."

Sounds like you've done a bit of "request line fishing" yourself...

Jeff

Downriviera

Post Number: 865
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, Play Misty For Me.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DR:

One of the first lessons I learned (the hard way) in radio is what Jeff calls "The inverse law of phone." The sweeter and sexier they might sound on the request line, the scarier they look in person. Sound familiar? I thought so.

Flyingj

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jyoungvoa "The inverse law of phone."

The shorthand is "face made for radio"

Downriviera

Post Number: 866
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned the hard way for sure. Thats why the on site promotions at clubs, etc. worked best. In Hawaii had to be very careful with the local girls, cause some of the local guys had a problem with a blond haired haole (island slang for caucasian) boy dating "their " girls. Once I became friends with some of the local Samoan bouncers, word got around that I was not to be messed with.

(Message edited by Downriviera on August 06, 2008)

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thought from that time...

December 9, 1980 was one of the toughest days of my career. Maybe it was rough for you, too.

Because I did mornings, I was up early - before 4am. And that meant that I typically went to bed during the week about 9pm. So, I didn't know what happened until I got in the car the morning of the 9th to drive to Wheels.

I flipped around on the radio to catch some news, and heard that John Lennon had been gunned down the night before. I was stunned. I couldn't catch my breath. It was just so impossible to comprehend that someone could murder a person who was the heart and soul of a generation, mine. Who was this Mark Chapman guy? What kind of a monster was he? Why would he do something like that? Why? WHY?

I got into the station about quarter to five, as usual, and went to the wires to read everything that had come out. I sat there in my chair, almost paralyzed and numb. I read the wire stories over and over, comprehending but still struggling with the incomprehensible.

Jon, my morning partner, came in about 5:30. He knew about it from the night before. We talked quietly, and then kicked off the show at 6. The music was different that morning, quieter and gentler than usual. Neither Jon or I had the stomach for the usual pounding metal we played nearly nonstop. This morning was different.

We talked on the air about what had happened, and took calls. We weren't the only ones who felt that our hearts had been ripped out. Later that hour, when it was time for "Detroit's Morning News," I started talking about this heinous crime, and the details surrounding it. I didn't make it through the discussion. I just broke down in a heap, on the air. I tried to catch my breath and keep going, but it felt as if my heart had stopped. Jon just picked it up and went into a cut. He looked at me with one of the saddest faces I have ever seen. We were both simply crushed by it all.

And we weren't alone. The people on the phone shared our grief, stricken by the enormity of what had happened, and how it happened so suddenly.

It was a tough day. The toughest.

When I got to New York in the fall of 1981, one of the very first places I went to was the Dakota, to stand and stare at that piece of sidewalk where John Lennon had been so coldly and senselessly murdered. And the feelings I had that morning, December 9, all came back to me in a flood.

All these years later, it is still hard to comprehend how someone could have done this.

Downriviera

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On that day I was at KQMQ FM Honolulu. When word got out that Chapman was from Honolulu, it got crazy real fast. We had calls coming in from all over the world. Rumors flew fast and furious. We went to non stop Beatles music for like 2 days. A friend of my roommate knew Chapman. I'll never forget that day.

Jyoungvoa

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your thoughts, DR.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad I scrolled down the thread list. Good Stories! Even as a young teenager, I was really bummed out and sad when WLLZ went from rock to elevator music. At the time, I liked the station better than WRIF. JJ and the morning crew have never been the same since they left LLZ. I'd listen to sattelite radio less if there were more quality Rock stations on the FM dial.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allow me to chime in with some college radio memories. Attending Wayne State in the 80's, we had a quasi-radio station. Supposedly it broadcast at 860AM, but you could only pick it up in one of the dorms (so we were told), on the front steps of the station, and it was pumped into the basement of the student center building. Nobody listened to us, but it was fun to "play" radio. Our studios were in an old house on Putnam across from the engineering building. Beautiful old house, though it had seen better days. It was the closest thing that resembled the proverbial Animal House frat house. Lots of parties, no real format, it was great. We took it seriously though, all except for the "lounge" in the attic of the building.

During my tenure there, my favorite song was by an LA band called The New Toys, the song was called "F.Y.Y.B." (F*** You, You Bitch). Of course we played it. No one was listening anyway.

Props to the Dick the Bruiser memories. I still have my "Meet the Bruiser" album somewhere.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Late night WABX, 1970's, when the station played what they liked rather than what teenie-boppers wanted such as "My God" by Jethro Tull.

When the '80's started and Flock of Seagulls hit the air, I bashed my head against the wall.

Kate Bush; yes. Duran Duran; no.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.