Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » WCCCD New NW Campus « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 20 days the campus will be moved from 8551 Greenfield to 8200 West Outer Drive and the ol U of D bldg

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am aware that this is splitting hairs, but I would call that the old Mercy building.

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when it was sold, I think it was a University of Detroit Mercy building...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Mercy College of Detroit until 1990, when Mercy and U of D merged, and thereafter it was the "Outer Drive Campus of the University of Detroit Mercy", quite a mouthful. In the late 1990s UDM tried to work out to do with all of its facilities and the decision was made to divest of the Outer Drive facility. The Dental School was the last UDM facility operating on that campus until it moved to a former hospital facility on MLK earlier this year.

It is not an old building, by the way; it is a substantial multi-building campus.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except that WCCCD tore down most of the buildings on the campus...

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WCCCD tore down most of the buildings? Why? I used to work out there and thought they were in pretty good shape.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7194
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the only building torn down was the main administration building, that 5 story neo-Gothic building you saw when you first came thru the gates. Marion Hall (main classroom building), the faculty buildings, the student union/conference center and the Dental School building still stand.

Since I haven't been there since the main administration building was torn down, I'm not sure if the newer library addition was torn down as well.

The Sisters of Mercy nuns that used to run the school used to live on the upper floor of the former administration building.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, really? they tore down the admin building? it seemed like it was still in good shape and pretty functional... i also thought that the nuns used to live in the faculty cottages. they reside in both places? [it's been a long time since i've been there.]

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it seemed like it was still in good shape and pretty functional"

It was probably the best "in shape" building on that campus as for its age, however, UDM removed many relics from it for the new School of Nursing over at McNichols and Livernois, including its stained glass windows.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Mercy High School, the yellow brick bldg. at the NE corner of the property has been sand blasted and has new windows and looks quite nice. U of D sold the entire campus to WC3 for either $6 or 9 million, a fraction of what it cost to build the Dental School alone. The Mercy 5 story tower (mentioned above), that most people recognized as the identifying structure on that campus, came down quickly after the transfer.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7200
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info on the old High School building Hamtragedy. That was known (during the Mercy College days) as Marion Hall.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.