Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Please vote "Yes" on Aug. 5th to save the Detroit Zoo » Archive through August 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a lot Johnlodge

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to just wanting to vote YES, I would vote YES to simply prove a point that we need more regionalization of services and government.

(Message edited by Baltgar on August 01, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3228
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo hoo!

Go Baltgar! :-)

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes, because we all know the Zoo gets their animals by sending their staff to capture healthy, happy animals in the African savannah and dragging them back to Detroit for our amusement.

Well John, at least we agree with how they got here in the first place.

quote:

Get educated on the numbers before making ignorant comments.

Wow, Novine! I was unaware that producing at least one TV spot, airing it ad nausium during an election when ad rates typically go up through the roof, printing and purchasing the number of billboards the zoo tax supporters are doing was possible for less than several hundred thousand dollars.

Curious how anyone is able to spout off numbers when the campaign finance statements aren't out yet.

And I highly doubt that they'll be lower this year than in years past.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Zoo needs about $15 million a year... the ad campaign of one season will not equal that... are you being serious? If only they stopped advertising, THEN they'd be able to run the zoo!

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 657
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter what you write- MCP001 is a typical selfish person who would not even spare an extra dime for his community (it must be fun growing up in your house), so don't bother pointing out facts; a penny is too much.

The best part is we live in democracy, the millage will pass, we'll continue to go to the zoo, and that will be that.

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful what you wish for. Oakland County residents may what more say in Zoo affairs if their tax dollars are supporting it. They may ask for a few changes. One such change might be to replace KK's name on the water tower with L.Brooks Patterson's.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Oh goodness no.

I will have to stop visiting the Zoo if it goes that far...:-(

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 02, 2008)

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about taking any and all politicians name off the water tower instead?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Fine with me.

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm voting no. Yes, I'm a bastard, and all that.

1) If the Zoo cannot find the time and the paint to take Kwame's name off the water tower, well, that's bad PR.

2) If breeders think it's so important to take their crotch fruit to the zoo, let'em pay for it. Nothing is stopping them from donating to the zoo.

2a) The asshole majority in this state told me back in '04 that gay people are second class citizens, via a State Constitutional Amendment. Fine, I was out-voted. Democracy, and all that. But hey, pay for your own shit. You want little little Joshua and Chelsea to see the cute animals? You fuckin' pay for it. I have to spend my money on attempting to approximate marriage, when you get the same deal for a $25-marriage license.

3) How can we possibly embark on a studied course of animal husbandry, when we cannot even tend to the region's people? Get Detroit's infant mortality rate above third-world standards, then maybe we can talk about having a fuckin' zoo.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 658
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Expat writes": "I'm voting no. Yes, I'm a bastard, and all that.

1) If the Zoo cannot find the time and the paint to take Kwame's name off the water tower, well, that's bad PR.

2) If breeders think it's so important to take their crotch fruit to the zoo, let'em pay for it. Nothing is stopping them from donating to the zoo.

2a) The asshole majority in this state told me back in '04 that gay people are second class citizens, via a State Constitutional Amendment. Fine, I was out-voted. Democracy, and all that. But hey, pay for your own shit. You want little little Joshua and Chelsea to see the cute animals? You fuckin' pay for it. I have to spend my money on attempting to approximate marriage, when you get the same deal for a $25-marriage license.

3) How can we possibly embark on a studied course of animal husbandry, when we cannot even tend to the region's people? Get Detroit's infant mortality rate above third-world standards, then maybe we can talk about having a fuckin' zoo."

-Wow I guess, you broke the stereotype that gays are supposed to be open minded, in reality your post rings more of an angry, cheap redneck. Let's see here, I never thought of the zoo a way to settle the score for a Gay rights agenda, but in your annals of stupidity puts it there. I wonder what Gay kids (They too are "Crotch fruit" like you were too) do if they want to go to the zoo.

I think you need lots of therapy.

(Message edited by Cinderpath on August 02, 2008)

(Message edited by Cinderpath on August 02, 2008)

Detroit_expat
Username: Detroit_expat

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what Gay kids (They too are "Crotch fruit" like you were too) do if they want to go to the zoo.

Go to Toledo.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^In other words, fuck Detroit & Michigan is what you're saying?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11967
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Convenience of geography will get this passed. If the zoo was physically in Detroit there would be no concern or care for it. How did the tax supporting the DIA go?

This isn;t a vote for regionlism, it is the region supporting it because it is not in Detroit.

While I do not intend to change any mids I ask you to consider if there would be so much region support (including campaigns at the County level by OC and MC) if this was for the DIA, Belle Isle, DHM, CHWMAAH, etc.

Geography is what is getting support on a regional basis. if you believe otherwise I would like to discuss selling you the bridge to Belle Isle.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no this is getting nasty, like the Livonia Mall deal, I,ll vote YES if the smoking chimps on trikes come home. I miss Joe Mende the III

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Detroit_expat..."2a)" really says it all, doesn't it ? Your post really tugs at my heart strings, I have the box of Kleenex right here next to me in case you post again. It's awesome how you managed to make the issue about your sexual orientation. You must be a riot at dinner parties.

You are one bitter 'mo. Breeders ? Your mom was one apparently. Crotch fruit ? Mmmmm...nice. I'm guessing you are the old man that every 'hood has who yells at the kids for stepping on his grass ?

I can assure you as a crotch fruit toting breeder who visits the Detroit Zoo often, I do pay for it. Every time I pay the entrance fee. And I donate.

Oh, and Jt1 that's the most spot-on thing you've posted in a long time. NOT IN DETROIT is key.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Removing KK's name from the water tower should have been added to the amendment...then it would pass with no problem

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PROPOSAL SECTION
COUNTY PROPOSALS
MACOMB COUNTY ZOOLOGICAL AUTHORITY MILLAGE
The Macomb County Zoological Authority was established pursuant to Public Act 49 of 2008 and formed to allow for continuing zoological services for the students, residents and visitors of Macomb County. The law allows the Authority to seek authorization from the electors to levy a tax of not more than 0.1 mill (10 cents per $1,000 of taxable value) on real and personal property to provide revenue to an accredited zoological institution for this purpose. Accordingly, to continue providing zoological services to benefit the residents of the County, and to sandblast the name of elected goon King Kwame Kilpatrick toot-sweet from the water tower of said zoo for the benefit of the region, shall a 0.1 mill on all of the taxable property located within the County be imposed for a period of ten (10) years, being years 2008 through 2017? It is estimated that if approved and levied, this new millage would generate approximately $3,193,793 in 2008.

Shall this proposal be adopted?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4355
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If breeders think it's so important to take their crotch fruit to the zoo, let'em pay for it. Nothing is stopping them from donating to the zoo.

Why do you assume only people with kids or people who don't support gay rights go to the zoo? I don't fit into either of those categories and I like the zoo.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7567
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Zoo is our LAST zoological park in the Metro-Detroit area. A no vote could mean the lost of the our zoo and the animals could be transported either to other popular zoos or being sent to glue factory. We can afford to lose our best zoological park. The Detroit Zoo has been around for over 130 years and must keep it going for future children too see. SAVE THE ZOO, VOTE YES!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the zoo train should run to Livonia.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cinderpath, your arrogance and ignorance is astounding.

In case you didn't catch it, I do support institutions around town. I've spoken favorably about the Detroit Science Center and Detroit Historical Museums.

And obviously unlike you, I prefer to support it through admission fees, concessions and donations. I don't feel it necessary to coerce support from people I don't even know, to subsidize that which I enjoy, through the "helping hand" of government.

And speaking of history, you might want to crack open a book and read more.

This tax was tried before several years back (see: Proposal K). It failed.

So don't get your hopes up too much that people will support your tax...especially in a recession.

Danny, your comments about the zoo being the only one in the area are not true.

Once the Zoo Tax fails, people can drive down to Toledo or up to Lansing if TPTB decide to close down the zoo (which I find highly unlikely}, to visit a zoo.

So don't make it sound as if it were the only game in the area.

Danny

Post Number: 7572
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VOTE YES SAVE THE LAST ZOO, The Detroit Zoo. Detroit needs the Zoo, The suburbs need the Zoo. Your children need the Zoo.

Danny

Post Number: 7573
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcp001,

I've been to the Detroit Zoo since I was a little kid. Enjoying the lions, tigers, penguins, exotic birds, polar bears and much more. We don't need to close the zoo. We lost the Belle Isle Zoo and the Aquarium a long time ago, but the Detroit Zoo MUST be save for our children and tourists too see.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, no one said anything about "closing" the Zoo.

The Zoo just needs to find a method of raising money that's more equitable for those who do and don't utilize it.

The tax isn't it.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're going to vote no because the zoo supported a ban on dove hunting? Seriously? To each his or her own, but who cares? It didn't support doing away with hunting all together. They're just doves. How much meat is on one of 'dem suckers anyway?

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mourning dove weighs 100 grams. I think there's about 20 grams of edible meat per dove.

Please vote yes for the zoo. Whether one might or might not visit the zoo does not seem to be a good criterion for deciding how to vote. The bigger issue is whether having a zoo (or fire department, or library, or school...) benefits the region as a whole.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, so that's one forkful, Giver108. You'd rob children of all that the zoo offers over a couple bites of dove meat? I ask that you reconsider and be more rational.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did the dove hunting ban become a factor?