Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Construction at Michigan Ave and Third. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like they are building some kind of addition to the DTE building, and there is a large amount of land fenced off. Someone please tell me this is not just for a parking lot/structure. . .

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope its the DTE Garden, I dont have a link but im quite sure someone here has one...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The landscaping and town square construction will be complete by October 1. Both improvements will help DTE be "attractive and functional, which helps us attract and retain high caliber employees in a competitive marketplace," Austerberry says.

A future phase of the campus improvements will include the reconfiguring and remodeling of the main lobby and entrance of the Walker-Cisler Building" - From ModelDMedia

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/dte101.aspx

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand, it will mostly be private, meaning only DTE employees and their guests can access the gardens. While I guess green spaces are better than parking spaces, it sucks that we all can't enjoy it...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two of the three parks being built will be open to DTE employees only

Here's a link to a better article with a good rendering;

Link: http://www.downtowndetroit.org /ddp/newsroom/detroit_news_jul y_4_2007.htm

P.S. Edit: That vacant lot directly to the North, I wonder what the plans are for it. It is interesting they put it in the renderings (MGM is in there, as it is part of a larger rendering that showed the new DTE and MGM complexes). Is that a "tee" junction in the garage tunnel connecting the two complexes? Interesting... is that for future construction, or just an exit into the garden below?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 06, 2008)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTE has a boat club on the river, and you can't enjoy that either. That's how they keep it nice.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went pass DTE today along Grand River. The lot north of the complex has been been fenced in with a black iron fence. I believe I also saw new wooden light poles. Clearly this will be a parking lot.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sean, that t-junction is a hampster-tube walk way for the dte employees

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.