Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Green roof on the People Mover « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool

VIDEO: People Mover's New Green Roof

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080805/EMAIL01/288463 161/1039

Riley484
Username: Riley484

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty cool idea. It'll make for better view with some of the building that have visibility to that roof.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, very cool! I had no idea this was going on. Are they planning to do this at some of the various other DPM stations around the city, too?

Planner_dude
Username: Planner_dude

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is cool but has the potential to be another half A$$ project.

What scares me is in the interview the engineer said, "First season, you have to water, and then forget it.. it is gong to take care of itself."

This is not true....Here is a quote from greenroofs.com:

"Is an extensive greenroof really maintenance-free?

No! Every roof needs to be checked periodically, and extensive greenroofs are no different. It is recommended to do a semi-annual maintenance review, at which time you can look for invasive weeds, disease, stray tree seedlings, etc. Plants, no matter how low growing and drought tolerant, are still living, breathing beings and should be monitored."

I have a feeling that that the City could just forget about it, leading to invasive growth, resulting a weed bed and a leak roof.

Just the image Detroit and Transit need!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.