Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit's Historic Movie Palace Tours Sat. Aug. 9!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7184
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this was posted under a different (and less informative) thread title in Connections, but Connections has far fewer readers than Discuss Detroit.

So anyway this Saturday August 9 Preservation Wayne is sponsoring their 20th annual Downtown Historic Movie Palace Tours.

Tours are 4 1/2 hours long, and include a box lunch at the Detroit Opera House. Tours start at 9:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00 and 11:30. The 10:00 tour is already sold out, so make your reservations by calling Preservation Wayne.

http://www.preservationwayne.o rg/tours_theater.php

Tours will start at the Filmore (State) Theatre, where a registration desk is set up. Parking is $2 at the Fox parking structure.

Highlights of the tour will be the 2nd year that the former Oriental Theatre lobby will be open for viewing. Last year they surprised everyone by serving Mimosa's (real Champagne) and eclairs.

Another highlight will be some of off limits areas of the Detroit Opera House nevers seen before.

And at the Fox the house organist will be playing the mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer Organ in the auditorium. Other highlights of the Fox include the famous wall back stage where famous performers for over half a century have signed their names (now under plexiglass). Artists such as Elvis Presley, Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, all the Motown stars, and all rock legends since the 50's have put their John Hancock on the wall.

Another highlight this year will be the large amount of promotional materials given to tour members. Many of the upcoming shows at the Filmore and Opera House have a ton of promotional items as freebies.

This will be my 10th year as the Filmore (State) onsite guide, and am looking forward to meeting any forumers who attend.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would LOVE to attend, but I'm at the T-PLEX on Saturday. My tour begins at 10:00 AM.

Only negative thing about being a guide, missing out on other tours. *sniffle* *whine*

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Theatre tour is amazing. I went last year, and it was well worth it. Had a blast.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gistok,

I will be in town, just for the tour! I became interested in the movie palaces through many of your posts, and then got the Images of America book from my fiancee, and the interest grew. My fiancee now gave me this trip as a birthday gift, and I am really excited.

We will be on the 10am tour, and I am looking forward to meeting you!

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will be at the 9:30 tour with young nephew in tow.

Looking forward to it!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is the next one scheduled?

Gistok

Post Number: 7190
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're Preservation Wayne's largest tour (at over 4 hours), and are scheduled only once per year (when all the theatres have down time)... usually the 2nd Saturday in August.

If you can't make this one, you'll have to wait until 2009.

Cman710

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok,

Do you know whether we'll be able to look up at that window in the Michigan?

Gistok

Post Number: 7199
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, not this year. Mr. Pieroni has been a very busy man. Building ownership is not his main line of business, and he's been very busy with his other business interests this year.

In order to see the interior of the great arched window from the inside, you would currently have to crawl over a 4 ft. high railing, and then go down a dark stairway (without a railing for support) and thru 2 hallways. Right now that is too dangerous as far as liability is concerned (plus that part of the former theatre space has no electricity). Plus there is a lot of fallen plaster debris on the stairs and hallway that needs to be cleared out.

For liability reasons he would like to hire professionals to clear the way, although it could be done with Preservation Wayne and DetroitYES volunteers on a weekend afternoon. But he's worried someone may injure themselves, since that labyrinth of closed off spaces on many levels just begs exploring, and that could lead to some dangerous (and dizzying) experiences.

So I'm hoping for next year!

Cman710

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Gistok. I can totally understand why Mr. Pieroni is concerned about liability issues. I probably would be as well, if I were in his position. I am happy to seeing the parts that we will see.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2401
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--the practice of signing the backstage wall at the Fox began with Frank Sinatra for the 1988 "Ultimate event" concerts at the there, the walls backstage had just been freshly painted as the restoration was being completed. No signatures were on the walls prior to that, they were just painted.
Sammy and Judy's daughter followed suit with their signatures and that sort of started the tradition. I was there for all of the "Ultimate event" shows, Jams and Detroitplanner may have been too.
Elvis died in 1977, so it would be quite impossible for him to have signed the wall, although one of his many impersonators may of.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2983
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that all but the last tour sold out. So a very successful theatre tour once again for Preservation Wayne! Thanks to all who made it happen!!

Gistok

Post Number: 7203
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman, but I could have sworn I saw Elvis's signature on the wall... (suddenly hearing haunted music)....

Great to meet you Cman710!

I later saw Kathleen at the Opera House and had a long talk. Great group of folks that came on the tour this year.

Cman710

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had an awesome time, and was very glad to have made it after poor weather in the Northeast made things very questionable! Thanks to everyone who made the tours a success.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.