Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Did you vote today? » Archive through August 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There really weren't any lines at my precinct, so it was a quick in and out. Lots of people handing out literature, especially Kwame Mommy leaflets. The Kilpatrick machine people appeared really desperate.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I voted, HALF of the ballots had been invalidated because of cross-voting. This was at about nine o'clock in the morning.

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the 11th voter in my precinct in Dearborn at 8:15 this morning. Sounds like a really small turnout for mostly Wayne County ballot stuff and the Zoo question.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it's only going to get hotter and more humid today. I could definitely see a lower turnout than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if turnout didn't reach the teens.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper Woods Precinct # 5
at 7:30 I was # 2
at 9:30 my wife was # 14

HUGE Turnout ;)

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We voted at St.John's Presbyterian on Lafayette, there were more people outside than inside. I was number 13 to vote in my district, at around 9:15. Martha Scott, Mary Waters, Coleman Young jr were there. There was an older African-American lady with the mayoral recall petition, and it was full!

Cwl704
Username: Cwl704

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voted in Canton, just me and one other at 9:15.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11829
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

17 people had voted in my district, as off 10 am or so.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dont know how many but i was the only one at my district in oakpark

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absentee last week. Go Waters.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm about to go vote at Royal Oak Precinct #8!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I voted, HALF of the ballots had been invalidated because of cross-voting. This was at about nine o'clock in the morning.

You just can't help but smack your forehead over this stuff. Are these same people going to put diesel in their tanks instead of unleaded? READ THE BLOODY DIRECTIONS, PEOPLE.

Time to go do my part to try and bring down the Kilpatrick dynasty. Too bad for CCK that Jackie Curry isn't still running the show.

Viva la Waters!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just voted. 172nd voter at my precinct. Yes on Zoo!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back... #25 which is sad.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6021
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Number 98 at 2PM.

Zoo me up!

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#150 at 2:15 in SCS

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#79 @ 2:30pm

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up this lil gem today while @ the poll.

"the "alleged" sins of the son should not be visited upon the mother.

Click to view the flyer: http://tinyurl.com/kwamemomma

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#79 at 2:15 at Murray Wright.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6024
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! I almost forgot. There was a guy who rode to the polls on a Segway!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7581
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Livonia/ Northville TWP annexation vote will be wild as it's seems:

A YES vote means 8,000 new jobs and very high property tax rate. Plus Livonia would increase from a 6x6 mile square township mile to 6x6x7 1/2 mile city making it the first biggest "whittest" suburb in the Metro-Detroit area behind Dearborn. Plus the first biggest "whittest" suburb in Wayne County.

A NO vote would prevent annexation and save Livonia tax payers and no jobs, but at least you all can keep your cookie cutter homes.

I hope that the people of Livonia would vote NO!

I glad that the folks of the northern part of Westland voted NO against Livonian annexation back in the 1950s for school district and Westland Mall greyfield development proposals.

People of Northville TWP that land on Haggarty Rd is yours. Fight it, keep it, SAVE it please.

If Livonia annex part of Northville TWP. What's next? Redford TWP.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 762
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voted this afternoon in Ann Arbor. Talk about BORING. I was voter #74 or something like that. There were only a few contested offices, and we're not part of the zoo proposal. Yawn... I miss Detroit!

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in AA voting was boring, but I did it. Nothing exciting, nothing special, just a bunch of no-names :-D

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My beef with the Livonia annexation is the exact reason that the Northville Twp. Planning Commission kept rejecting REIs plans. They want to SERIOUSLY overbuilt the land with not only homes but also a mall, offices, etc.

If you've ever tried driving Haggerty around rush hour, your KNOW how bad it is and it can't be widened any further. Getting from 8 Mile to 10 Mile can take 20 minutes!

Second reason is they want to put in another shopping mall (traffic again but also commerce). Just down the street at Haggerty and 5, a new strip mall was added a couple of years ago that has all of 2! stores - pizza joint and tanning salon. Further away at 5 and Newburgh, there's a big empty chunk in another strip mall that lost their Farmer Jack and Rite Aid. Add to that, the last time I was at Laurel Park,it seemed the stores weren't doing very well either.

So why do we need more stores that no one will shop at or that will take business from other nearby areas and more traffic to make the Haggerty and 275 drives even MORE unbearable?

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Dearborn we always bring in strippers and a keg to combat the tedium of voting.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#41 at precinct 35. Some kid at the front door tried to be helpful and explain that you can't vote for both parties or your vote is null or something. Pushed past him and voted in about 1:30.

You guys for the zoo thing? My knee jerk reaction was no, but I voted for it anyway. I've got a friend who takes her kids there for summer camp (sure she pays), but that's enough for me to see a use. We never visit.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry... #41 at precinct 35 at 3:00pm.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted NO to anyone connected to Kwame. Screw these "slates". Its all a big cabal. Wake up, people.
With things as bad as they are, I voted against ALL incumbents except for Wojtowicz- that campaign just got a little too weird for me. We need new leadership- KwameKonnection or not.
Oh yeah, and yes to the zoo.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richad Bak voting in Dearborn ... he's on the Far Right

bak

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey now!