Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Croquet in the Packard plant in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edwardian croquet-game in the ruined shell of a Packard plant in Detroit

http://www.boingboing.net/2008 /08/05/edwardian-croquetgam.ht ml

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heart hipsters

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is too cool for school.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 860
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice. There used to be some serious croquet going on over at Stroh River Place.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You kids get off my lawn!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tip for the photographer, always have your main light source behind you unless you have a great big flash.

Cool bit of fun though. That open air walkway bridge always scares the hell outta me while walking over it. Wish the game took place in more area of the packard. Theres so many great spaces in that place to use as a backdrop.

Good fun though, thanks.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Croquet? Pssht. That's what they played back in Livonia on their big giant lawns, in front of there big giant mcmansions...

No, no. TRUE Detroiters play bocce ball, NOT croquet! That's why so many parks are elongated, and why we love our wide grassy boulevard islands.

Seriously, hehe, we used to play on the roof of our building when I was younger. In hind sight, it probably was a bad idea, and at the least, would hurt the roof. Anyway, times have already changed. Back when I lived there, there was nothing to do on a Sunday.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can I play shuffle board?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Florida.

Downriviera

Post Number: 864
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no. TRUE Detroiters play ping pong. Every Monday night at the Lager House. Do you have what it takes to win the Paddle Battle Championship Belt?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bocce? pshht. Speak for yourself, the melting put that is Detroit I see more petanque and of course feather bowling at Cadieux Cafe. This summer thought of getting some horseshoe pits dug in one of the empty lots.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera - have you been to the lager house for the Paddle Battle? I saw that a few weeks ago.....looks sweeeeeet

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two things:

I'm sad I didn't know about this croquet game...I would have worn my tour outfit!

Bocce rocks! I have my grandfather's antique set.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who owns the Packard?

I have a great idea!

<313>

Downriviera

Post Number: 867
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried,

Paddle Battle is a blast. I am a 3 time winner of the belt. Great group of people and cheap drinks along with the pong.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grrrr at ping pong. Sadly, I lack the necessary skills and ability.

Lodgedodger, we have to get a game going sometime! Just for fun. I have a set two... but probably not as nice as yours. Mine is relatively new.

psssst, hey! Let's one up these people and play a little on the new Joe Louis People Mover stops green roof. I know it's not court sized, but who cares? Imagine all that nice virgin grass.

(I'm kidding, that grass is a good idea, but looks horrid. They need to take some notes from the suburbs on that one... hehe... that's one thing they have always been good at... :-) ).

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have any of you guys ever played Whirly Ball?

There used to be a place on Grand River I think...

Just so everyone knows what I'm talking about, here's a link to an article on Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlyball

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 06, 2008)

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 564
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True Detroiters Feather Bowl @ The Cadieux Cafe.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clickable Link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W hirlyball

I need to learn why it does that.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard whirrly ball is a BLAST. Never got to play. There was a place in Ypsi who had it going. I doubt their still in buisness.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was absolutely the coolest...

i loved the period dress. who are these people? just a bunch of friends? where did they get such accurate looking clothes and WHO are the beautiful ladies?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 766
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whirley ball 15 and Groesbeck

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heart Feather Bowling at the Cadieux. They have bocce or horseshoes or something at the Buddy's in Detroit too. I've heard of the Whirley Ball at 15 and Groesbeck...a few years ago I knew someone who knew someone who worked there and they played naked whirley ball after hours.

I'd be afraid to go inside the Packard Plant. My BF and I are convince that place has to be full of dead bodies from homeless folks who go there to warm up in the winter and then freeze to death...cause who would check up on it? I know it's a weird/demented theory, and hopefully it's not true.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boccie at Buddy's, yes, and they'll teach you the game. Or feather bowling at Cadieux, either one. Depends on whether you prefer pizza or mussels.

If you've never done either, you're not really taking advantage of the full Detroit experience IMVHO. The Prof has done both, but being part Italian prefers boccie.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I think all of us need to get together for some bocce. I've never had Buddy's pizza, so let's plan a date...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone needs to spray Packard for Hipsters. I think a little DDT will clear them right up.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

croquet is gay (not to be confused with one of the above participants stupid tag)

Mauser765

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My BF and I are convince that place has to be full of dead bodies from homeless folks"

Probably the second most popular misconception about Detroit: all abandoned buildings are stuffed with dead homeless people.

Second only to, "if you go down there youll get shot".

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Mauser. When I tell my relatives I give walking tours of the city, their eyes become as wide as saucers. AND, I wear my everyday jewelry.

Of course, I don't go into areas I shouldn't...

Mind you, at one time I was nervous about the city. The people have always been extremely nice to me. A smile goes a long way.

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mauser what's your beef with hipsters?

Mauser765

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what's your beef with hipsters?"

http://www.boingboing.net/2008 /08/05/edwardian-croquetgam.ht ml

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can play petanque EVERY day...

www.detroitpetanque.com

http://midwestpetanquealliance .blogspot.com/

No charge, no equipment - just show up!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave: 2 of them are http://dethlab.net/who.php

I don't know about the rest

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Django

A tip for the photographer, always have your main light source behind you unless you have a great big flash.

I think Toybreaker knows a thing or two about photography.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11831
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where can I play shuffle board?

Heh, funny you should ask. I just spotted a shuffle board set up in a backyard up in Grandmont the other day.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Ltdave: 2 of them are http://dethlab.net/who.php

I don't know about the rest""

yeah i didnt get it...

Mauser765

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t oybreaker/sets/639830/

whole set

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.