Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Help identifying the drug store in this photo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hooligan
Username: Hooligan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone help identify the drug store in this photo? It was shot in Detroit in the 1950's by Robert Frank for his book, "The Americans." ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

mysterydrugstore

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Cunningham drug stores all had lunch counter's in the late 60's. This looks like the one that was in downtown Detroit.

But then again when I was working for the City of Detroit, I worked with old blueprints from Detroit in the 1930's and there were hundreds of sandwich shops and restaurants all around and near downtown Detroit then.

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on August 06, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could also have been a Kresge lunch counter. I guess you could try to find out who served Orange Whip

Jcole

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like it's not one of the drugstore counters, because when I look closely, those are mirrors on the wall, and usually the drugstore counters were open to the rest of the store. It also has Juke Boxes on the counter, and I never remember those in Kresge or Cunningham.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4589
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus they never had a wall behind them like that.

Jcole

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I meant about the mirrors being on the wall.
Also, the walls look like they are metal. It could almost be an old diner, the kind that look like railroad cars on the outside,although we didn't have a lot of those here. They were a real big thing on the east coast.

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had jukeboxes in Cunninghams.

I worked the counter at the store on Grand River & Oakman after school in the late 60's and remember somebody playing "Pretty Woman" 6 times in a row.

I can make egg salad, a tuna plate, a hot turkey sandwich too.

Everytime I hear that song, I think of that counter.

Jcole

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only remember those little individual jukes in Big Boy, The Clock and some bars. I never went to Cunninghams often,though, we were Kresge people.

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That photo being 1950's, we need some older, old timers to tell us where this drugstore is.

But it really looks Cunningham's downtown. Because the downtown store had two doors, you go in on the State Street side, walk through and turn a corner,come out on Griswold, or vice versa. And there was a wall around the corner, but I'm am not really sure if thats Cunninghams or not.

The Cunningham personnel office was at the downtown store.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recognize this place. The desserts, the juke, and the 10 cent sign. I will say Kresge's, because to my recollection, Kresge's had a separate diner. But then again, so did K-Mart, Cunningham, Topps (woops, no they didn't!). Heh, Topps... that place always smelled like old sneakers.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with some of the others. I believe that is a Kresge's. I have seen that photo before, and I think it was going through old photos of Kresge's.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kresge's DownTown Detroit, yeah?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They definitely were having a special on orange whips!

I vote Kresge's.

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Kresge downtown also, the more I look at the photo.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7129
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westside, jjaba rode the Northlawn bus in front of your Cunninghams. He lived on Northlawn and Schoolcraft back then. Noble School, Tappan Intermediate. Cass Tech. on The Northlawn to Grand River electrics.

Your corner was ice cold out there waiting on the bus. jjaba also sold Sat. night bulldogs for Detroit Times in the back of Sears-Oakman by the parking lot. Serve jjaba something to warm him up.

jjaba, Proudly Westside on The Northlawn.

ps. jjaba worked at Wrigleys-Davison and Greenlawn in the 1950s.

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right, it was cold as hell.
I rode the Grand River Bus, which ran about every 5 minutes back then. So I never got too cold.

You remember that Sears too?
There was also a Meyers Jewlerers, and a women's clothing store, but I forget the name of it.

I took the Grand River Bus to work from Commerce High School which used to be across the street from Cass Tech. I went to Jefferson Junior High.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.