Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » 1260 Library « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to find historical photos or information on this building downtown for a redevelopment project. I've checked several archives and libraries, unfortunately coming up with very little information. Anyone have any more insight? It would be greatly appreciated.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That space has been a vacant lot for at least 10 years or more, and a parking lot for maybe 5 years. In the late 60's there was a Army Recruiting office on that space.

You will have to go to the Main Detroit Public library and look in the old Polk directory for maybe the 1950's or before.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3155
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search for 1260 Library, and it comes up as Cafe DeTroit as recently as October 2005

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13709
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this property is in the hands of the owner who was Cafe de Troit's landlord, let it rot. He is a bottom-feeder who should never profit from that property.

Redetroit

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He no longer owns the building.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake. I did google and 1260 stops at that parking lot.

I know 1274 is Sherry Washington gallery, then a boarded building, then there was a coffee shop Cafe de troit that closed around 2004.

But for a long time the two buildings next door to the Art Gallery, one was a State of Michigan or Government office, and one was a Army recruiting
around the late 70's.

Gannon

Post Number: 13710
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then go for it...before Cafe de Troit was in there, there were offices for Army Recruiting, then one of the big electronics/computer/control firms, either Borg/Warner or Burroughs...there was a TON of abandoned stuff in the basement from them.

It is a really cool building, I know quite a bit of it...the top floor would make a killer loft with a roof deck facing Broadway for late sunrises...but you'd have the noise of the clubbers cruising after hours.

I'm not sure what it was before, there were some markings on the wall of the coffeeshop that showed some of it's history...it's been a while since I talked with Lee, she knows much more about it...but I thought I heard about a small retail store or Salvation Army-type reseller.

If you go through the archives of Hudson's photos, you might find some with this building in the background...and MikeM will surely arrive with some unbelievable historic information in five, four, three, two...

Gannon

Post Number: 13711
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you DO buy this building, I'd love to get that old wide safe from the basement...it didn't work when we found it, but would be great for a few choice wide things I'd love to secure.

Lemme know...

Gannon

Post Number: 13715
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeywell...I couldn't remember the name, but then just looked at a box of RG-6 I'm wrestling with at a jobsite...there were Honeywell offices on the second floor.

Redetroit

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...if all goes well, the safe is yours.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You arent going to serve stale bagels, are you?

Gannon

Post Number: 13723
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a Good Housekeeping store.

The bagels were stale if you were a cheapfuck and bought out of the day old bin.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my!

Actually, I thought the food and drink were great and the place was nice. The only turnoff that kept people from going there with me from work was the collection of semi-vagrants hanging around outside all the time.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only turnoff that kept people from going there with me from work was the collection of semi-vagrants hanging around outside all the time.

That's not a very nice thing to say about Gannon.

Gannon

Post Number: 13724
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rarely hung out outside, so the odds of it being me were slight. After one really bad day, I wouldn't even PARK outside!

Good Housekeeping, thanks Toolbox...

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

;-)

Toolbox

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cafe de Troit was in the building beside Sherry Washington, and yes, it was 1260 Library. There are only 3 buildings on that Block: the king bld, 1260 Library and the Carlton's building. The Carlton's building houses Vicente's when I left Detroit. I have a picture of the buildings from many Moons ago. There is actually a cop directing traffic in the intersection. He has a hand controlled sign that runs up a poll, that has a "stop" and "go" on it. It looks like something from Bugs Bunny. The picture is from 1945 and you can get a copy from Manning brothers commercial photographers. I have 2 phone numbers: 961-1797 (Detroit) and 398-7572 (Madison Heights). The photo number is 160245. The 4th building, which is now a parking lot, is in the photo as well as a sign for Crowley Milner's on a building behind the library, a sign on 1260 Library that says Cable Piano Company and painted on the Carlton's building is a sign that reads "Good Housekeeping Shop 1250 Library". 1260 Library, is only 3 stories in this photo, and the facade was beautiful There is also a "White sewing machine co" sign on the 1260 Library Street. The king building (Sherry Washington is in the street level floor) has a Annis Furs sign out front.

I can read on this forum (which I don't unless someone tells me that there is something I need to read), but I can not post because I am banned. I am a bad bad girl. If you need a stale bagel, I am sure I can arrange to have one sent to you. I aim to please.

Signed:

Cafe (now living on the beach where we shoot off fireworks on New Year's and eat black eyed peas)

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't belive that such a nice lady like Cafe was banned!

East_detroit

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She swears like... a sailor.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 960
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe ran a ship shape Coffee Shop and I always got wonder fresh food and amazing coffee with the warmest, friendliest of smiles, every morning. I hope someday to be her neighbor once again. Living on the Beach and shooting fireworks on NYE sounds awesome!

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1260 Went through foreclosure. It is now owned by BAYVIEW LOAN SERVICING LLC. The year built is 1970.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe is banned? What is that all about?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 961
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SSShhhhhhhhh.....

don't talk about it or YOU might get banned too.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Brandon48202

1260 Went through foreclosure. It is now owned by BAYVIEW LOAN SERVICING LLC. The year built is 1970.

1260 was built way before 1970, there are mechanical systems older than Detroitduo and his husband in it! There was a major renovation that added the 4th floor, probably where the 1970 date comes from.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a 1930s map...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was that building behind it labelled "Bover's Haunted Shack?" That sounds pretty cool.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Haunted Shack was formerly the Broadway Strand Theatre.

1260Library.gif

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the late 60's/early 70's wasn't there a bar called The Grog Shoppe on Library? I used to see Doug Jacobs and his group play there. (I think)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.