Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Are the people of River Rouge and Ecorse as dumb as it appears? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080807/NEW S06/808070346

Other than in Detroit, where Mama Kilpatrick received 47% of the vote, the only other cities where she received more than 22% were River Rouge (59%) and Ecorse (57%). Can anyone speak to the people of these two communities? Has CCK brought in a lot of money to them? It just all seems very odd.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, when only a small number of people vote, it doesn't take many votes to sway an election one way or another. On the other hand, having suspicions of how deep the tentacles of the Kilpatrick Crime Syndicate reach in the region, I wouldn't be surprised of anything right now, including election rigging.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignorant black folks will vote for the same incompetent fools back into office either because of sympathy ("we can't let the media get her!) or denial ("Kwame Kilpatrick has been a good mayor. Leave him alone!"). Now you know why voting by name recognition has such a bad reputation in this region.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 473
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread should become a bit longer now.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check River Rouge and Ecorse's graduation and poverty rates...that should answer your question.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, "ignorant black folks?" River Rouge and Ecorse are both over 50% white.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3306
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This thread should become a bit longer now.

HAHA!

Agreed. :-)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 642
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ignorant black folks will vote for the same incompetent fools..."

That's an ignorant comment. As someone else pointed out, it doesn't even have a basis in fact.

River Rouge:

The racial makeup of the city was 52.58% White, 42.01% African American, 0.78% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.63% from other races, and 2.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.96% of the population.

Ecorse:

The racial makeup of the city was 52.18% White, 40.56% African American, 0.65% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 3.36% from other races, and 3.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.94% of the population. 8.8% were of American and 5.8% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000. 92.7% spoke English and 6.3% Spanish as their first language.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10266
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the brightside. The last election she took about 79% of eeh vote. This time it was only 39%. Too bad the opposing forces split the vote for her to get back in.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you post the racial make up for the other cities listed? Latrovia's statement was pretty ignorantly worded, but it's also ignorant to try to claim that race has nothing to do with people who still support all things Kilpatrick.

Novine

Post Number: 646
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it's also ignorant to try to claim that race has nothing to do with people who still support all things Kilpatrick."

Are you kidding me? On what basis do you make that claim? Kilpatrick ran against 2 other black women. She only got 47% of the vote in Detroit, which is predominately black. That means a lot of black voters didn't vote for her. It also means that in those cities with majority white population, a lot of white voters voter for a black candidate.

(Message edited by Novine on August 07, 2008)

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just curious what Kilpatrick has done? If I'm not mistaken isn't it her son who is the mayor and not herself? Besides, having a person in congress that has some years under their belt is better in the long run.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ignorant black folks will vote for the same incompetent fools back into office."

Yeah, because only black "folks" do this. Um, hello? ignorant white folks voted that incompetent fool John Engler back into office.
But seriously, take your racist schitt elsewhere, back to Mississippi or Klansville or Alabama or Howell or wherever you're from.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both River Rouge and Ecorse are likely majority black.

The posted data is from the 2000 Census. The long-term trends in both communities is white flight, and 8 years is more than enough time for whites to go from a bare-majority to a minority.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the people of River Rouge and Ecorse as dumb as it appears?

Dumb and Dumberer

Spitty

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, your reply to my comment doesn't make any sense. I didn't say anything about voting for black candidates. I just said race plays a role in whether or not people support someone named Kilpatrick who is related to Kwame.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine and Detroitrise, Ecorse and River Rouge are predominately black and low-income now. Most of the constituents in the wealthier suburbs (Harper Woods, Grosse Pointes, Wyandotte, etc.) voted AGAINST Cheeks Kilpatrick. I don't care if you call my comment ignorant (Yes, I'm black. I'm being real.). We all know who is more likely to vote based on name recognition and ignorance.

Novine

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitty and Ltorivia485 - Neither of you have provided any evidence to support your claims and nor could you. For all we know, it was only white people voting in Ecorse and River Rouge for Ms. Kilpatrick. Feel free to make assumptions about who votes for Kilpatrick but there's no facts to back them up.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 772
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Novine and Detroitrise, Ecorse and River Rouge are predominately black and low-income now.

If you ever, ever, EVER confuse me with Detroitrise again I will personally hunt you down and disembowel you. This is your final warning. :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correlation does not equal causation, but correlation is still worth looking at.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yeah, and just for arousement, I will yank that pea-sized brain out of your skull & eat it raw for confusing me with this guy.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ignorant black folks will vote for the same incompetent fools..."

River Rouge:

The racial makeup of the city was 52.58% White, 42.01% African American, 0.78% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.63% from other races, and 2.80% from two or more races.

Ecorse:

The racial makeup of the city was 52.18% White, 40.56% African American, 0.65% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 3.36% from other races, and 3.05% from two or more races

WOW! Ignorant Black Folks don't even make the list. Must be classified in the "other" category.

(Message edited by detroitjim on August 07, 2008)

Spitty

Post Number: 693
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What have you proven or disproven, Novine? I never claimed that my observations were anything more than assumptions. I can't say that it's true, but you can't prove that it's false, so I'm not sure what your trying to pull here.

Here's a fact: the predominantly white-populated cities didn't vote for Kilpatrick while the predominantly black-populated cities did vote for her. I'm just speculating why this happened, and you're trying to act like it didn't happen at all.

Detroitsapphire
Username: Detroitsapphire

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because some disagrees with you politically doesn't make them dumb or poor or anything else - just that they don't agree with you. Also, you don't have to be black to like her or white to like someone else. Did you notice that the other people in the race were black too? And no - I don't live in either community.

Novine

Post Number: 648
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm just speculating why this happened, and you're trying to act like it didn't happen at all."

Wrong. I'm saying you don't have anything to back up your speculation. The idea that race is an issue when all of the candidates are the same race seems kind of ludicrous. But if you want to go that route, more power to you.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7590
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fellas, playing RACE CARDS again?

Let's deal on the cards. Everyone got their cards, good.

Let's see what we have:

Cheeks Kilpatrick got the most votes of Detroit, River Rouge and Ecorse. That's the cities the has most black communities.

The 5 Snobbyvilles, Lincoln Park, Wyandotte, Harper Woods. That's the suburbs that are mostly white communities.

It's seems to me that due to KING KWAME'S thug life cause mostly white folks in their QUEEN Cheeks' Kingdom to rebel and lean over to either Mary Waters or Martha Scott. However thanks to LARGE support of black communities of Detroit, River Rouge and Ecorse, Cheecks won the primary, SHOO! that's was close. It really save her political career.

As long as she has what you all people call " ignorant black folks" of Detroit, River Rouge and Ecorse support, She will definitely win the 13th seat of the state representative. I do recalled the fewer white folks who voted to Cheeks, too. Do we call them "ignorant"? NO. People vote according their principles and beliefs. It's doesn't matter if they are "blind fools!"

A long time ago in the late 1920s, Detroit mayor Charles Bowles was recalled, But he ran for re-election and won, but he was forfited and the runner-up won for mayor.

President Bill Clinton was accused and charged with of having a affair with Monica Lewinsky, there was an impeachment hearing by Congress and they voted "NOT GUILTY" and remains president.

Oh! looks like I have a royal flush in the race cards game. YAY!

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A long time ago in the late 1920s, Detroit mayor Charles Bowles was recalled, But he ran for re-election and won, but he was forfited and the runner-up won for mayor."

Actually, on Sept. 9, 1930, Frank Murphy won the mayoral election by 13,000 votes over Bowles, who had been recalled from office three months earlier. (Source: Sidney Fine, "Frank Murphy: The Detroit Years," p. 220.)

Just keeping it real.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

again...its about education rates...what does the census say about that?

Spitty

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, I only mentioned the race of the people voting for Kilpatrick. I never even mentioned the other candidates or their race. Danny gets it, why are you having such a hard time?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This post's title IS as dumb as it appears.

Mckinley
Username: Mckinley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the reason's that the voters in River rouge voted for her is that the Mayor of River Rouge sent out a listing of his "Team's" choices and she was listed. He is pretty well respected so I think that helped her out (by the way he is white).

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having grown up in River Rouge, I must say that if any of you are aware of the political circus there you would not ask why any election goes the way it does. If this election is like any other, the key is to look at the absentee votes. When I lived there absentee votes represented about 2/3 of the total votes cast. There are people who literally control hundreds of absentee votes and sell them to the highest bidder. These people give their friends, families and bums on the street $5 or a 40 oz. and in return they get taken to fill out their absentee ballot. I don't know if this goes on outside of city elections, or if this is the case in the previous election. But you should know that River Rouge is famous for doing so. Right before I moved out my father ran for the school board. He beat the winner of the election at the polls by a 2 to 1 margin and lost handily based on the absentee votes.

(Message edited by cdwaters on August 08, 2008)

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas, sorry if you took offense. I should have titled the thread, "Why on Earth would the people of Ecorse and River Rouge vote for Kwame's mother in higher percentages than anywhere else, including Detroit?"

I was just frustrated at being 500 miles away from the city on election day and then seeing the results over the next two days. And other than voter corruption, I haven't heard a very good explanation.

Novine

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Novine, I only mentioned the race of the people voting for Kilpatrick. I never even mentioned the other candidates or their race. Danny gets it, why are you having such a hard time?"

Really? How do you know the race of the people voting for Kilpatrick? Were you in the polls to see the race of the people voting? No? Didn't think so.

Spitty

Post Number: 695
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, Novine, you don't know either... what's your point? You just keep trying to attack my point, but the only point you made was that Ecorse and Rouge had about 40% African American popultaions in 2000. My gripe with your argument (if you could even call it that) was that you only showed black vs. white in those two communities. I thought it would have made more sense (and been less biased and manipulative of the data) to show all of the cities, because that way we probably would also see that though Rouge and Ecorse are half white (in 2000) they still have the highest percentage of black residents of the cities in Wayne County. Basically you present only part of the picture, and you do so using old data while calling me out for making assumptions when there is a correlation that you refuse to acknowledge. You're kind of coming off like a crazy person a little bit.

237am
Username: 237am

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was born and raised in rouge......

i think it's more about just picking a name than research..... and both cities are not really doing well.......

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7594
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be well aware that both River Rouge and Ecorse neighborhoods are demarcated by the railroad tracks. White folks got the bigger and sizable woodframe bungalows, colonials, dutch colonials, ranches and victorian bungalows, victorian ranches and colonials along the Jefferson business district. Blacks lived west of the railroad tracks occupying those dirt cheap shack-like, 1940s cookie cutter ranches, bugalows and future built 1960 to 1970s colonials, thanks to real estate practices of "restrictive covenants". Those two cities were racists back then, but gave blacks an "invisible welcome" when they move over those neighborhoods from 3rd street to 18th streets. This made white folks packing quickly made their flight to other suburbs. Those full blown black communities of River Rouge and Ecorse and a little dollop of the white communities along Jefferson Ave. Made it possible for Carolyn Cheecks Kilpatrick to save her political 13th district kingdom from Mary Waters. She may have lost the 5 Snobbyvilles and other white suburbs, but as longs as she have a BIG black communities of Detroit, River Rouge, Ecorse on her side she would win the election.

Race cards and political corruption played a role in elections and those 2 requirements will make a politician strong and powerful.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.