Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Motown Museum « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the other posters mentioned never visiting the Motown Museum. I have to admit, I haven't visited the museum either.

What's your favorite exhibit at the Motown Museum?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the studio!

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to agree that the studio is what makes the tour worthwhile. The other displays and memorabilia are interesting, especially for those of us who are hardcore Motown fanatics, but the studio itself is what most people really want to see. Seeing Michael Jackson's hat and rhinestone glove is cool, but standing in Studio A where David Ruffin originally sand "My Girl" is a truly unique experience.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crap, I've never gone either. Must add that to the "todo" list. When the weather is colder - I generally do outdoor events in summer and indoor in winter.

How long is the experience? Should I block off an hour, a half-day, a day, Mrs. J?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been either. It has been on my to do list for some time.

Gary

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say, if you're going to the museum, plan on about an hour or so. The place is not that big. The tour is a little too structured for me, and since I'm an admitted "Motown Junkie", I'm already familiar with virtually all of the information the tour guides present, but for those who have never been or are casual Motown fans, it's a great experience. Well worth the time to go and check it out.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7183
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever happened to the planned big museum?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dead, dead, dead. Honestly, did anyone... ANYONE really expect Gordy Barry to ACTUALLY follow through with the Motown Museum? The man is a loser and the ONLY reason we even actually have ANY Motown Museum is because of his sister, not him.

Enjoy the Museum we have... there will never be another.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

honestly, you can do the museum by yourself in 1.5 hrs...but take the tour, that makes the experience more worthwhile.

I guess their curatorial staff is nil because the exhibits are not that fleshed out in writing...unlike DHM, you can just go and read all the boards and you will be there for hours.

Gary

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plans for a new museum in the Donovan Bldg. never even got past the idea stage. It's a moot point now anyway.

I don't know who "Gordy Barry" is, but Berry Gordy never seemed to have much interest in developing a real Motown museum in the city. His sister, Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards partnered with the folks at the Henry Ford Museum to develop the original W. Grand Blvd. location into its current condition as a bona fide museum.

The first time I visited the Motown studio was in 1984. There was no "museum" at that time, just a couple of the original houses that comprised Hitsville USA. I just walked up and knocked on the door and a very nice lady named Doris Holland (R.I.P.) who had worked at Motown pretty much since day one, let me in and allowed me to freely roam all around. The place was virtually unchanged since the 60s. I also met Mrs. Edwards that day, she was very gracious.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the hole in the upstairs ceiling the singers would sing into to get that right "echo".

I also liked all the old albums on the wall, most of them are really obscure. I like the obscure stuff better than the blockbuster stuff.

Strongly recommend a trip to this museum! I have been there twice so far.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 502
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its Great!1

The tour less than 2 hrs

I loved it!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 767
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gone many, many times. Took my Bates Academy and Cass Tech students, took out-of-town friends, and lately have been taking U-M doctoral students who are new to the area. Was just there a couple of weekends ago.

I'm a Motown fanatic, and I learn something new each time. There are a couple of EXCELLENT tour guides who I suppose were around back then or knew people who were. They tell different stories each time.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's great. the studio is the highlight, but seeing the reverb/echo device used (I don't want to spoil it) is pretty cool too. I would suggest taking about a half day for the museum. It is on the pricey side, so you will want to get your moneys worth... I think tours are free, and will make the experience MUCH better...

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tour guides tell people that Diana Ross was a secretary at Motown -- when it was Martha Reeves who was. You have to take some of what they say with a grain of salt.

One wrong piece of information gets imparted to them, and it goes on forever...

Pffft

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way Detroitduo, it's Berry Gordy who funds the museum, as his sister has always asserted. There needs to be a major infusion of cash to take it to the next level.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and now Martha Reeves is a senile member of the clownsel.

Gary

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly what I was talking about, Pffft. I don't doubt that most of the guides are very knowledgable, but I've been there about half a dozen times and each time I have been there, I've heard the guides give out false information. Granted, most of this info is related to relatively minor points, but I would expect that any tour guide in ANY museum should be well acquainted with the facts surrounding the topics they are discussing with folks who have paid good money to take the tour.

Gary

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Berry Gordy sold Motown records over 20 years ago, the label is currently owned by Universal Music.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The museum is great, and a must-see for any Detroiter. Although, the Donovan building had a better "gift shop."

And for the record, Berry Gordy is not a loser.
DetroitDuo, how many world-famous record labels have you created?

English

Post Number: 769
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pfft and Gary, I've NEVER heard a tour guide say that. They always say it was Martha Reeves... and I've been plenty of times. Now, the younger tour guides can be off the mark at times, but not the middle aged to old ones.

I also own plenty of Motown history, and check things over with relatives who were alive back in the day.

If you haven't been within the past year, you really ought to go back. When the Motown folks came back into town last fall to kick off the 50th anniversary celebrations, they went through the museum with the staff and gave THEM a tour. So there are new stories and new memories that you can't find in any book.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 925
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right... I have never made a world-famous record label... Nor did i abandon the City which helped me to make it famous... Nor did I PRETEND to actually care about the City that made me and the label and many very talented people famous... Nor did I CLAIM to raise money for the Museum I was PRETENDING I was going to build for the City I only SAID I cared about.

No, you're right. I never did any of those things. But Berry Gordy sure did.

p.s. thanks to all for the name correction. I can never get his name right... but then again, why should I, because I care about his name as much as he actually cares about MOTOWN.

Gary

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, English...I never said ALL of the tour guides are misinformed, but I have certainly heard SOME of them get their facts confused more than once. I can give you a couple of examples off the top of my head; one tour guide was identifying the members of the Temptations and he pointed to an early publicity picture of the group and identified David Ruffin in the photo, I corrected him by pointing out that the person he was referring to was Elbridge Bryant, not David Ruffin. I've also heard the "Diana Ross started out as a secretary" story from another tour guide. On another occasion, I asked a tour guide if the drum set in the studio was ever actually used on Motown recordings, and the guy said it was. I later asked another tour guide the same question about the same drum set and he said it was not. Whatever. Minor points maybe, but still...

As for books as sources of information on Motown, I own just about every book ever written on the subject, but that's not where my information comes from. I happen to know several of "the Motown folks" you speak of personally and I communicate with them often. I don't need any tour guide to enlighten me, 'cuz I get my facts first hand from many of those who were "there".

Pffft

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,
I was just there two weeks ago, is that recent enough? I didn't say all of them say Diana was a secretary, but I know one who does! It's an example of an incorrect fact you'll occasionally hear.

They are for the most part, very good speakers and good representatives of Motown. But many visitors are Motown fans who are pretty up on the history, so they maybe need to step up the training a notch. It's probably the fault of whoever's training them, not the guides themselves.

English

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary & Pffft, have you brought all these errors of fact to the attention of museum staff? I'm sure they'd make sure that the guide in question was corrected. Or you could just tell the guide when you passed between areas.

As a matter of fact, while I appreciate the youngsters who serve as tour guides (I've run into 2 former students there), I wish that more of the people LIKE yourselves who may have been around or claim all this insider knowledge would become docents or the like and lead tours. It's annoying to be told how bad the tour guides are when those of us under 40 and who happen to be salt-of-the-earth regular unconnected folk have no choice BUT to purchase the books, do our own research, and go to the museum.

As for direct memories, as someone who was not there and freely admits that, I've heard and read contradictory information on minor points. I'm no Motown expert (just a lover and appreciator of the history), but I have had several experiences of being "corrected" with someone who sincerely believed that their erroneous information was fact. I go and check on the info, and they're wrong too. Which is just as galling... I try to keep in mind that they're getting on in age, though, and memories do fade.

Gary

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have just described my dream job, English. I'd love to be associated with the Motown Museum in some capacity, but I already have a full time job, a family, and a fairly busy social life, there's not much time leftover for volunteer work outside of my church. Anyway, I'm sure the folks who run the museum can put their hands on somebody much better qualified than me. There is a fairly large Motown Alumni Association here in Detroit, and I know several of its members are very active in all things Motown, including the museum.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is going be a fun tour. I love Motown music. My wife and I are going on Aug. 21. Has anybody seen the Funk Brothers documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Motown"? I enjoyed that alot.

(Message edited by jita1 on August 07, 2008)

Pffft

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always bring up an obvious mistake -- and I gently corrected the tour guide about the Diana Ross/Martha Reeves as secretary mix-up.
This isn't an obscure, "insider" fact; Martha Reeves has talked for years about her job as secretary to Mickey Stevenson, it's in her book and many others... and such a position for Diana has never been part of the Diana Ross/Supremes story.
You don't have to be an insider to know this one...

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, even in the Temptations movie, it was Martha Reeves at the front desk when The Tempts walked in as the Elgins. She said "Elgins? You mean like the watch?" Obviously the guides haven't seen the movie..lol

Gary

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jita1...yep, I have SITSOM on DVD. Great documentary. I remember when some of the Funk Bros. reunion scenes were being filmed at the Royal Oak Theatre a couple years back.

As for the Temptations movie...don't get me started. The acting was great, Leon was dead-on as David Ruffin, but the film was not at all historically accurate. Still, the production was very well done.

English

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, does the Motown Alumni Association ever give public lectures or other kinds of events? Or are they private? I'd love to attend something like that and listen to their stories. I'd be very interested in getting the alumni's take on the public perceptions of the Motown story.

I think it's such a shame that Gordy never invested in a larger museum. If we had a large music museum downtown then you, Pffft, & others with firsthand knowledge would be able to preserve our city's legacy. At this point, I'm not sure if it will ever happen.

Gary

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English...the Motown Alumni Assoc. is a private organization made up of former employees of Motown Records; recording artists, song writers, producers, musicians, office staff, etc. I have emailed one of the members to ask her if she would be willing to discuss the questions you raised, I'll let you know what she says when I hear back from her.

Yes it is a shame there isn't more of a Motown presence here in Detroit. What's more, there isn't anyplace in Detroit where one can purchase "Official" Motown souvenirs other than at the Motown Museum and the Motown store at Metro Airport (I assume it's still open). Considering the worldwide impact Motown has had, it seems ironic that Motown T-shirts, hats, key chains, coffee mugs, etc. are not for sale in the gift shops of every hotel, at every drugstore, and knick-knack shop in town. I don't know who owns the copyright on the Motown name and logo these days, but whoever it is is really missing a golden opportunity to make a mint of the sale of such items.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, there aren't really many opportunities for souvenir buying in town. The Motown stuff would be fantastic.

Pure Detroit in the Fisher Building has shirts and some other souvenir stuff, but it appears to me there are slim pickings.

Sorry about hi-jacking the thread.

English

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a hijack -- it's a business opportunity for someone!

Gary -- thanks. I'll keep checking back to see what she said.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be cool, is during big events in town, have kiosks at corners. What would be great is to have some high school kids get involved with this. A civic sort of deal...

Okay, I'll stop now. ;-)

English

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go for it, Lodgedodger! I'm not sure what the license might cost, but I definitely think you should! Tigers & Lions games, fireworks, festivals, the parade...

ALL of my friends whom I take to the Motown museum buy t-shirts and other souvenirs. But I think they could do far more... why can't I have a James Jamerson or Earl Van Dyke t-shirt? Or even one that reads "Funk Brothers Fan"? I've got the Marvin Gaye one, but I think the other artists ought to have shirts as well.

Some of the album art is iconic, both the LP jackets and the 45s. The wall of the Motown "labels"? Why can't I get a Tamla magnet or pin? The Jackson 5 were one of my favorite groups, and I love the pic of them on the Third Album. Can't find that t-shirt *anywhere*. (I've been looking for years.)

There's so much money to be made, and whoever owns all these trademarks now isn't really making it. If we can't have the music museum we want, it would be nice to have a "Detroit Rock City" store downtown with all kinds of merch. Not just Motown, but our awesome techno, rock, blues, jazz, and gospel artists, too. THAT store would make a killing.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My understanding, based on some folks who have approached Motown in the past about potential business dealings, is that (1) Motown typically wants a higher-than-usual slice of the pie for use of their creative properties, and (2) there are tangled and still unresolved copyright issues. Take it for what it's worth; that's just what I've been told. But I guess I wouldn't be looking for Marvin Gaye coffee mugs or Four Tops hoodies any time soon.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 711
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned on a Tiger Stadium thread a while back that I think it would be great to move the museum to the Tiger Stadium site. Side-by-side with a baseball museum and perhaps the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame the 3 would provide a high profile location just down the road from downtown, the MGM, Book Caddy, Cobo, etc.
The combined existing operating funds along with increased visitor revenue from tickets sales, souvenirs and donations would give all 3 museums a big boost. Yes the Motown Museum would be moved from its original location, but I think the benefits would far outweigh this. If you couldn't move the West Grand location in tact, you could build a replica using much of the original materials. Of course, getting the interested parties together on something at this late stage is probably a lost cause.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7138
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to rent or buy "Standing in the Shadows of Motown." See this movie before you go to Hitsville. It will made your blood boil as a Detroiter.

jjaba has been there twice and each times was well worth it. Highly recommended.

jjaba.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did mornings on WQBH from 1989 to 1991, and with Martha Jean the Queen as a boss and Jay "the Bluesman" Butler (who is featured in "Standing in the Shadows") as a mentor, I learned a ton of Motown factoids. We did a broadcast from the studio one time (by bagphone), and I have fond memories of the candlelight vigil that was held on the steps of the Motown house when Mary Wells passed.

Gary, thanks for reminding me about Doris Holland, a wonderful woman. I also had the pleasure of speaking with/interviewing Esther Gordy Edwards on several occasions - a true wealth of Motown knowledge. There was also a guy who worked there as a tour guide, who was my inside guy when I wanted to talk Motown on my show. His name was John Knowles, Brother John as he liked to be called. Anyone know him?

Though much more could be done with it, the Motown house is still a MUST visit in CoD. Stepping into that studio, especially where the audio board is, is truly something that will give you chills. Such magic from such antiquated equipment. How they made those great records still floors me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.