Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit's Baby Boom? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Fobes-America's Fastest Dying Cities

"Since 2000, the city has witnessed something of a baby boom, with 430,000 babies born in a period that only 280,000 died. Maybe someday they'll all grow up to drive Chevy Volts?"

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/ 24/cities-commute-fuel-forbesl ife-cx_mw_0424realestate2_slid e_8.html?thisSpeed=15000

Why has this not be discussed in the local media? Are all these births attributed to the large influx of immigrants into Detroit, particularly SW

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's already a chewed & spit out thread on this issue. :-)

When you combine the relatively high population of seniors in Detroit with a continued residence flight, that baby boom doesn't really account for anything.

They could simply be talking about babies born at a hospital, but considering the region's health care is centralized in Detroit, many of those new born babies likely reside in nearby suburbs.

Lopsidedfrock
Username: Lopsidedfrock

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps detroit's infant mortality is 280k out of 710k live births (doubtful there are that many)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping the writer meant that 430,000 babies were born in the city and that in the same period only 280,000 people died, not that such a large number of babies died. The use of such ambiguous English is unfortunate, but common.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you make a dead baby float?

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the same thing prof. but it can't be the case. I also don't believe that every baby born in the metro area is born in a detroit-proper hospital. other than detroit receiving and henry ford, there are no other large hospitals in the city.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
??? St. John's? DMC?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If our infant mortality rate was anything close to 65%, it would be in headlines the world over.

From 1998 to 2002, which is the last data I've seen, the infant mortality rate in Detroit was just under 2%.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8078
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How do you make a dead baby float?

Usually I start the month with a postman.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hutzel Hospital, The Women's Hospital, is the place for babies to born. They deliver more babies than any other hospital in the area.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That number must be metro area wide.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hutzel Hospital, The Women's Hospital, is the place for babies to born. They deliver more babies than any other hospital in the area.

Used to be true, but still is the case? Per my anecdotal sources it is a destination for women carrying anomalous fetuses and therefore has become as much of an abortion mill as a place for delivery. A fair amount of gender reassignments are done there, though.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know, it is still the big one in the area for births - though U of M ranks up there. Those are the two that handle the most, especially those that are expecting difficulties in the birthing process.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a fair amount of gender reassignments? 20 a day? A year?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is a fair amount of gender reassignments? 20 a day? A year?

An informal index of the wife and her friends swapping stories about what they've seen in the past week. Truly, I don't know the number, but when the wine comes out and the nurses start talking it sounds like a tidal wave of confused and badly butchered patients.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if the population of detroit is "around 950,000" and for the sake of argument that population is 50/50 male to female, wouldnt that suggest that 95% of the female population gave birth?

seems awfully high for just the city of detroit...

also if 280,000 people died, thats fully 29% of the entire population...

opps! ive got too much kwame on the brain. i didnt see it was since 2000...

(Message edited by ltdave on August 08, 2008)

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my child at Hutzel in Dec 2006 and trust me, it was a lot of 'baby mammas' up in there...one lady had her other 4 kids staying in the room with her.

My husband (NO LIE) was the ONLY husband on the floor.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3411
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2006, there were 13,016 live births according to the Detroit Health Department.

The majority of these births were Black Children, over 10,360 to be specific.

These numbers are of Detroit Residents.

If there are people who are born here, but they are not Detroit Residents for what ever reason, then they are not in this number...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats not real surprising. Detroit is the major center for hospitals in the region. Yes you have places like U of M, Beaumont, and Providence, but those are tiny when compared to behemouths like DMC and Henry Ford. There are probably a great number of kids being born in the City because thats where the hospitals are. Add to that the indigent care for suburban hospitals is not as good as it is in the City. The City itself is much more caring for the poor than many of the suburban hospitals. Therefore, you probably have a whole slew of lower income people coming into Detroit to use their medical facilities from outside the City. That does not mean all 450,000 births are residents. Thats just what the birth certificate says. If it was we would be way over a million.

430,000 divided by seven years is about 61,400 births per year, when compared to Zulu's # for residential births, thats reasonable (about 1/4 to 1/3 in the city).

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on August 08, 2008)

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on August 08, 2008)

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U-M & Beaumont are "tiny"??

I wouldn't be surprised if Beaumont had the most admissions of any hospital in Michigan. UofM probably competes with Henry Ford for #2.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Providence is now an affiliate of St. Johns, so even that ends up in Detroit.

Other than U of M (which is subjective if you consider Ann Arbor a part of Metro Detroit), the only intensive care hospital outside of Detroit is William Beaumont.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3326
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, when combining all the *behemouth* hospitals in Detroit, Beaumont still only makes up a small percentage.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh-oh..

1. "What's the difference between a truckload of bowling balls and a truckload of dead baby's?"

A - Dead baby's are easier to unload with a pitch fork.

Good Lord people, look what you bring up in me - "dead baby" jokes, like the one's used to be printed on the sides of Dixie Cups and popsicle sticks. Sheesh.

2. What about that woman some years back - "That aint my baby. That one ugly baby! I only have good lookin' baby. I know an ugly baby when I see an ugly baby, and that one ugly baby!" I believe that kid is about fourteen now.

3. One fine afternoon in the party store, woman say, "Gimme a pack of dice, a deck of cards, and oh yeah, a pint of Hennessey for my baby Daddy."

I seen more little baby's on they bus this year than ever before and am always made a smilin' when I see the baby Daddy right there with them.

It's true. But I don't see any relationship between a City's population and hospital birth's. In Detroit, anonymity is rather key to getting by.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, have you stepped into DMC or Ford? DMC has 1800 beds in Detroit. Henry ford has almost 700, and St. John's has over 1,000. Thats 3,500 beds in those three Detroit Hospitals alone. William Beaumont has 900. U of M? 744. I don't see too many indigent folks walking around Beaumont or U of M.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How do you make a dead baby float?"

Glass of root beer and a scoup of dead baby

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.