Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Edgewater Park/ Bonnie Brook » Archive through August 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading the amusement park thread I was going back over the winterwonderland.com site topic on Edgewater Park.

I never see old site plans or maps of this place. I've been looking at pics trying to determine the size of the place. Did the park go from 7 to 8 mile bound by Telegraph and Berg? If it went all the way to 8 mile, when was Bonnie Brook established?

Let me know if there was a property break somewhere in that section.

Who own's the chunk of land around K-Mart over there?

I saw this interesting article. http://tinyurl.com/5bmnbz

So they got approval and at the most we 2 had Kmarts in Detroit @ one time. The one turned into Home Depot, what happened to the other ones?

(Message edited by viziondetroit on July 31, 2008)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8487
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgewater Park never made it past the top of Vassar if memory serves me correctly. It had the Rouge River running along its northern and eastern edges (not Berg Road) with Seven Mile to the South and Shiawassee to the west.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The land K-Mart was built on was formerly part of Bonnie Brook

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any plans for that unused portion of Bonnie Brook?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a boy who drowned last Easter break on the former Bonnie Brook property you are talking about. He fell through thin ice. It was always considered and used as a floodplain and probably still is.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgewater went under in '80 and then sat vacant for what, 20 years? The word at the time of the closing was that a senior citizens' community was to take the land. In a round about way I guess that is what happened.

DPOA used to have family picnics at Edgewater: last day of the season. If you ever wanted to see 1000 simultaneously drunk POs this was the place.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1949 Aerial photo of the Edgewater/Bonnybrook area. Running arcoss the top part of the pic is 8 mile ... it is the divided white colored road. On the left and running down on an angle is Grand River. Telegraph is in the center.

You can see 7 Mile as it cuts across the middle of the page; follow that to the right or east till you find Edgewater at the corner of Berg and 7 mile.

Note that on the NE corner of 7 and telegraph is some sort of farm and across telegraph is Topinka's Country House.

http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/wayne/1949/ha-17-40.p df

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2780
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I loved Topinka's Country House. And the one downtown across from the Fisher.

Craig, that was an annual cop event. The guys got drunk and the kids rode the roller coaster. I don't remember what the moms did.

Craig

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't remember what the moms did.

Kept an eye on all of the "children" and then did the driving on the way home.

Jcole

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're more than likely correct.
What precinct(s) was your dad at?

Craig

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13, then TMU/TSS. A bunch of other assignments, too. Embarrassing stuff to get pulled over and then asked "what would your father say?"

Jcole

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Edgewater on the north side of 7 Mile, between Shiawassee and Berg, kitty corner from what is now Rogell Golf Course? Where the gigantic church is now?

Jcole

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, tell me about it. I had a lifetime of 'Jim, guess where we found your kid parked'

Craig

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^That's the place.

Craig

Post Number: 925
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're "west side" then "parked" was Eliza Howell, Berg, Ridge Park, or Grand Lawn.

Where'd the old man work?

Jcole

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was at several. When I was around it was 15(Conner/Gratiot), City/County Bldg,
5(Jefferson/St. Jean), and Number One downtown.
We were eastside, and parking was Balduck, Heilmann, Chandler Park. Also, we moved to Almont and he was chief here, so I got busted on all the dirt roads in SouthEastern Lapeer County.

Jcole

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, we thought that Edgewater was such a big deal when we were kids, and we had a great time there, but when you look at the area it took, I don't think the whole park was the size that one big roller coaster at Cedar Point is today.

Craig

Post Number: 927
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chief of Almont until recently? He's the guy who got jammed up over the patrolman who shook down the motorist?

We always had a blast at Edgewater. Small is relative, and for a kid who's only other experience was the slide at Stoepel Edgewater was huge.

Jcole

Post Number: 2786
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, dad died in 1975. He'd be 95 if he was still alive.
Our PD here has had its share of issues over the years.

Jcole

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not knocking Edgewater. It was the be all, end all of amusement parks back in the day. It's just funny that it was so small and we loved it so much, and kids today have to go to some huge-ass place to have fun.
Does anyone know if Walled Lake was bigger, smaller or about the same size?

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that lot was filled in somewhat, because I remember when you drove into the Edgewater parking lot, you drove down a little hill, that was surrounded by trees and a low white fence that was neon lit with single tubes. This was in the 50's-60's, approaching that place at night was a thrill for us kids. The entrance was right next to the roller coaster and they had those huge scary clown carnival signs. The area, north of the entrance that had the flying aeroplane ride, was a huge lot. Maybe it just seemed big, but I remember when on that ride, the cars flew right over the midway area. That park was great!!

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walled Lake Amusement Park seemed a little smaller than Edgewater.
The owners of Edgewater bought Walled Lake Amusement Park, ran it for a short time. It seemed they really bought it to close the competition,that bought them a few more years in Detroit. Hindsight,foresight... Bet an amusement park in Walled Lake would have survived a lot longer, and that city's eventual gentrification did wonders to the property values.

Jcole

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at the aerial view that Gnome posted, and enlarge it to about 800%, you can see a lot of the rides and the roller coaster along the edge of the parking lot. You can also see the Rouge River where it outlines the area.
Then if you look at Google Maps, you can see where the park would sit today amidst the church and parking lots.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE THE DTE PHOTOS, I remember Edgewater and Bonnie Brook, looks like Bonnie Brook was bigger at one time,Rogell is near by also, so no wonder BB closed. Can,t belive all the open spaces around them.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember all those places. Lived down the street from topinkas and remember when it burned down just before Xmas one year. Sat there covered in ice decorated till it thawed then it just sat there. Edgewater was small. I think it went out in like 77 or so. It did dip down too. I used to have to walk past bonnie brook apts to get to taft Jr hi...(pre middle schools days) That damn bridge was the worst ambush place for a teen, damn rouge river......

Thoswolfe

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The land where Edgewater was is not large enough for an amusement park and parking for guests, but busses and streetcars were used more when it opened. And it is certainly not large enough for a church that seats a few thousand with only a few hundred parking spaces.(if that many)I wonder if the streets nearby are jammed with cars parked on Sundays now?

I have heard from 'old timers' that Bonnie Brook used to be on both sides of Telegraph, before Telegraph was widened and the housing sub on the West side of Tel was built.

Rogell did not hurt Bonnie Brook's business. The golf course had a good business. The more lucrative banquet business declined due to a 'Detroit Address'. Bonnie Brook was owned by a school alumni association, Henry Ford Trade School. Their alumni are now all 70+ years old, since the school closed long ago. They tried to sell the club intact, no takers. BTW the KMart developer had promised the neighborhood and city planners that there would still be a golf course on the remaining wetlands. Still waiting.....

N7hn: I also lived by Topinka's, on the other side of 7 mile. Was late for school the morning it burnt down, watching the fire. Thought it would not be rebuilt, so I saved a souvenier- one of the fence post ornaments- a lion, maybe? (I didn't save it too long,I guess)

Craig

Post Number: 928
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think it went out in like 77 or so

I visited the still-open park in '80.

Anyone else remember the rumor that the Topinka's fire was a torch job?

Thoswolfe

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the hood' by Topinka's thought it might be a torch job. But eventually a replica of the old farmhouse cafe was rebuilt, by the same owner.

About 20 years later, he closed the place, and partnered with developers for the strip mall. The empty restaurant sat for a long time until tenants were lined up for the planned strip mall, a fire would have reallly been suspicious if it occurred at that time!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonnie Brook was a short course, mostly par-3s. It only had one par-5 and that was on the back nine over by the river. Nice ladies course. The second hole was so short (like maybe 80 yards) that you used a wedge on the tee.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish some of these mega churches and new charities would look into the old Cass Tech Building to move to.