Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Belle Isle Golf Course Closed? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2747
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the few times I've been to Belle Isle this year, I've noticed that no one was playing golf on the golf course. I don't remember hearing about the golf course not being open this year. Did anyone else hear about its closing/not opening? Also, is the driving range open? What's the story?

Waltbaby01
Username: Waltbaby01

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The course was closed last year also. No money in the budget to keep it open. The driving range has been open though.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Waltbaby01.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5486
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The driving range is still open and it's really nice.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than golfers and visitors that frequent Belle Isle.. no one knows it's down there. They don't do any kinda promo/ marketing for it just like they don't for any of the other courses. I've seen commercials for the Chandler Park Aquatic Center, but nothing for anything related to golf.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping that First Tee of Michigan (the non profit that runs the range fairly well) would take over the golf course. Maybe it could still happen, support First Tee of Michigan.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really hate to hear that. i used to do a lot of golfing back in the 70's and early 80's with my dad there. been gone since '82. really enjoyed the course - always liked seeing the albino deer wander out on the fairways. truly a shame. also, always thought the covered bridge looked like a cable car with the windows like they were. what will it take to bring the city back?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the range rates? Some ranges are now charging by the hour, not the buckets of balls. How does this one work now?

Waltbaby01
Username: Waltbaby01

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This range charge by the bucket of balls. I can't remember how much they charge, because I haven't been there in about 2 years. You can also work on your chipping and putting by playing the short course they have at the range. I think the short course has 9 holes and you can go around for $5.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thefirstteedetroit. org/club/scripts/section/secti on.asp?NS=MC

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Golf Course was open on Monday, August 11. I played there for the first time...cost was $5.00. Its 5 holes..you go around twice. I was really impressed...it was clean and well groomed.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My partner played golf there with my in-laws during the week of July 4 as well. So it hasn't been closed all summer. He's also been to hit a bucket of practice balls from time to time, and it's always been open.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5260
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's open sporadically?

I was hoping to play there myself.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only open 4 days a week according to the website, but no indication of which 4. You'd have to call to find out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.