Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Local hospital charged me $900 for a tablet of aspirin « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birmingham
Username: Birmingham

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay 1000s for insurance every year and got sick for a day when I got my bill and looked at my bill and it looked like double and triple and even quadruple billing and grossly overchargement on items. It ended up being 1000s for them to take my temp and give me an aspirin. Who can I turn to to protest, or sue?

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I requested an itemized bill from a hospital procedure and saw things on the bill that I new were not done. My Insurance company acted like they were not really interested. Seems like a cozy arrangement with the patient in the middle.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

doesn't surprise me. my kids just had their immunizations and they charge you just to "inject" the shot and the insurance paid for it!!

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago I had severe bronchitis and had to be hospitalized for one day and didn't have insurance, and I received an itemized bill - don't remember if I requested it but I got it. And I also saw ridiculous things like a couple hundred for a Tylenol. I was completely shocked at how outrageous the charges were, and yes, there were things that were NOT done, meals that I hadn't received since I only stayed one day and they charged me like two days worth of meals because I came in at dinner time and left at lunch - they charged for all six meals.

Another time, I had issues with a dentist charging me for services I hadn't received and I spent hours on the phone with BCBS trying to get them to CARE, but they didn't. They just kept telling me to discuss it with the dentist, and I told them the dentist was unrelenting, but they really didn't care.

I agree, Pythonmaster, there's definitely something going on between the ins companies and the doctors, and WE always end up getting stuck.

Birmingham, you can protest to the ins. company, you just might get someone to take a look at it, but don't be surprised if your experience is more like ours.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't like it? Call your representative in Congress. Its stuff like this that is running up the bills for everyone and making it more difficult for employers to offer quality healthcare to their employees.

They may not be able to put together a universal health care plan, but that does not mean that they can't address the reasons why health care is so expensive and less available to their constituents.

I never receive itemized bills from my insurance company, however if I did and saw something like this that is where I would go.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it hard to believe that a patient would be charged thousands for taking a temperature and administering one aspirin.

I also find it hard to believe that the examination would consist of taking a temperature, and the treatment would be one aspirin.

Is the original post a joke or exaggeration? I'm not buying it.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sue John Edwards. Or Sam Bernstein.
Slip and fall ambulance chasing lawyers like him make everything very expensive for all of us.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty has a good point. The aspirine may only cost a few cents, but the insurance that goes along with being able to administer it has drove prices through the roof!

In Florida we had a serious crisis a few years ago when many Doctors packed up and left due to the increase in Malpractice insurance.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were charged $900 for aspirin? I was charged $600 per aspirin but that was over 10 yrs ago. Must be inflation.

I was also charged for a surgery suite too. I asked the hospital why they charged that when I didn't have surgery. They said, because it was available to me if I needed it.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing we don't have evil socialized medicine.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 787
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be fraud in any other industry.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2871
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sue John Edwards. Or Sam Bernstein.
Slip and fall ambulance chasing lawyers like him make everything very expensive for all of us.

And...
quote:

Lefty has a good point. The aspirin may only cost a few cents, but the insurance that goes along with being able to administer it has drove prices through the roof!

Yes, malpractice insurance can be expensive and trial lawyers do add it that cost. However, if a hospital is charging $900 per aspirin, they'll recoup their insurance costs for an entire year in a matter of hours.

The biggest single expense that most health care providers have, by the way, isn't malpractice insurance. It's unpaid bills from patients without health insurance.

Charges like the ones discussed on this thread make it harder for employers to maintain coverage for their employees and for individuals to buy it on their own. Thereby increasing the number of uninsured Americans and perpetuating - if not escalating - the cycle.

As for those cases where a health care provider billed an insurance company for services that were never provided, that is insurance fraud and it's a felony. It should be treated as such.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have any of you seen Sicko? It's quite enlightening.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be fraud in any other industry.

You're paying for those who don't have insurance.

Crystal

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of our natural gas and electric bills are charges to pay for those who do not pay their gas and electric bills. My home/auto insurance agent told me that it is estimated 1/5 of claims paid in this country are for fraudulent claims. So yes, every day we pay for those who do not pay in some way.

There is also the significant matter of Medicare reimbursement. Last year I broke my arm and had surgery to repair it. The surgeon charged $2900. Medicare paid its approved amount of about $200 to the surgeon. My secondary insurance, Aetna, then paid the surgeon 90% of the $2900, less the $200 already paid by Medicare. I have NO idea what a fair compensation would have been for the surgeon. $200 seems awfully low for a three-hour surgery which was successful and I now have 100% use of that arm. But is $2900 fair? I don't know.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Lodgerdodger. The fraud is used to offset the costs encumbered by hospitals. However, would it not be in everyone's best interest that costs were more in line and that those savings be used to help pay the medical bills of the truely needy? Am I the only one sick of hearing about hospitals that are constantly expanding but crying broke? Where is the money coming from to acquire new hospitals or build multi-million dollar wings that double its size? How can Blue Cross keep adding onto its castle downtown every year?

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14 years ago my friend broke his leg jet skiing on lake huron...

he managed to ride back to where he put in, in port huron...

he got to the hospital and the DOCTOR asked if he had insurance, to which he replied "yes, why?"

the doctor told him if he had no insurance the bill would be $2800. if did have insurance it would be $3400...

we assumed the difference was to cover the 80% or whatever amount the insurance wouldnt cover...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but why have health insurance if all they are going to do is put the screws to you?

Stories like this definitely does not give me much motivation.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6066
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That does it. If I ever go to the hospital, I'm smuggling in my own aspirin.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That really sucks man.

Not sure what your financial situation is or whether you have any legal recourse, but Wayne State Law School has a free legal aid clinic that you might be able to look into if you are looking to sue. They deal with a lot of medical stuff for people in the community.

If you want, you can contact professor David Moss, who runs the clinic, to see what he thinks.

http://www.law.wayne.edu/facul ty/profiles/moss_david.html

Oh, and vote Obama this year to help put an end to this kind of crap!

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deteamster Good thing we don't have evil socialized medicine.

When Fortune 500 co's make it a point of fact to screw employee's out of their benefits, they almost guarantee that day is here

I had some bloodwork done on vacation in New Orleans. They sent me the bill of a guy who'd been forcibly intubated! You better believe I fought it,,,it took awhle, too. Always check your bills. My main dr won't take insurance anymore. But he's all ears to Medi-Cal & Medicare. I kinda feel idiotic in the waiting room for an appt. that will run more than my first car sitting across from a parolee on a free ride, so yeah

How is Obama the guy to change this? Have you ever looked @ Chicago politics?

Crystal

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj brings up another good point.

Not only are there medical mistakes (topic for another thread!) but there are medical billing mistakes as well. Whether these mistakes are good faith errors, or are attempts to "slip charges by" unnoticed, I don't know. Complicating the matter is that patients don't always know how to read medical bills, and insurance companies have no way of knowing whether a service was performed or an item dispensed.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never get anything unncessary in hospitals because they charge big time for simple stuff.i am in the health field and we talk about stuff like that all the time. nothing there is no where near free.people get minor stuff like an asprin and bandaid,and its super expensive.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course you got ripped off. You're paying for medical care for people that don't have it. Next time someone remarks "Everyone has insurance in reality" Despite the one in six "uninsured". Now you know how the hospitals are covering those costs.

I know of one large, well known hospital in the area that is a half mil in the red.

If you go to an emergency room and say hello to anyone, it's a flat grand. If they actually do anything just tack it on.

Yes, vote Obama. Not sure if he'll get it done. At least his rhetoric causes one to think that. McCain thinks we're better off than we were 8 years ago.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go ahead vote for public health coverage and watch your waits for anything non-emergent go through the roof. Here's the deal, currently there is financial incentive for a physician to see and treat as many patients as possible. If we are made a level two public employee with a set pay scale, you can sure as hell believe I'm not going to work myself to the bone so that I see an extra couple patients a day.

Secondly, on the previous post, the 2900 for surgery also includes the overhead costs, the extra staff, and the physician. Not to mention the fact that I will have put off starting any kind of life until I am well into my thirties, I deserve fair compensation for the twenty years of classroom education and three to ten years of low paid residency. By the time I finish school this year I will have almost 300k in student loans, they don't pay themselves off.

Lastly, it is the malpractice lawyers that have driven up the cost of medicine. We can't practice good medicine because we have to cover our asses constantly. That means unneeded tests on every patient just to make sure you didn't miss anything you had already pretty much ruled out after the H&P.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tests? Seriously how much does it cost to do an X-ray? I guarantee it doesn't cost half what the hospitals and clinics are charging.

You take the Xray, develop it and look at it. If there is over 15 bucks real cost, I'd be shocked.

People are getting gouged by the healthcare "industry".

Bottom line we're told constantly this is the land of plenty. "Richest country on earth", yet 60 million citizens have no healthcare coverage. Read that- if they get sick, they bone the hospital or die. Thats unacceptable.

I wish someone could find some real numbers on how many deaths are related to lack of healthcare, proper screenings etc.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If there is over 15 bucks real cost, I'd be shocked."

Uhm...don't forget the cost to buy the xray machine, and pay the xray techs to operate them, and pay for valuable hospital space.

I mean, I agree with a lot of what your saying, but the numbers are probably a little different.

YPD

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13731
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's pretty cute that both Ccbatson and Perfectgentleman have not been seen on this thread.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess its just like insurance and warranties, you pay all of that money for protection and coverage, and when you need it, they claim everything is not covered and you still have to pay more.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13732
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I'm happy to never play that game. I saw it from afar, and will never buy health insurance.

Ever. But I WILL do everything I can do to be the healthiest I can possibly be, and let it be fully known that there will be NO stupid major expensive treatment to get me another three days on this godforsaken planet.

The thousands I save will be put into a savings account to pay for any accident, and when that runs out so will my treatment in the very rare instance that something happens! Much of the testing that occurs is to cover THEIR liability anyways, not for proper and efficient treatment.

I think it is pretty funny that they've got you all in a bunch fearing being uncovered by their scamming, just like with EVERY insurance...they are NOTHING but scams, it was obvious when every tall building in nearly every town I ever visited had the name of an insurance company on top of it...heh.

AND doctors are some of the wealthiest individuals in any community...for what reason? Are they really more important that everyone else? Maybe back when they held ALL the knowledge available for health, but nowadays they are pretty much not needed if you teach yourself proper holistic medicine...unless you have an accident and harm yourself.

Just make friends with at least one doctor, or make sure you've got one in the family. heh

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2872
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lastly, it is the malpractice lawyers that have driven up the cost of medicine. We can't practice good medicine because we have to cover our asses constantly. That means unneeded tests on every patient just to make sure you didn't miss anything you had already pretty much ruled out after the H&P.

Yes, lawyers and malpractice suits do add expense to the health care system. However, do you really expect people to believe that they're the reason a hospital charges $900 for an aspirin?

Or that they're the reason why people are billed for treatments they never received or asked for?

As for the "unnecessary" tests, one of the things that I've learned from talking to various doctors is how often those tests actually turn up something useful.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I would like to believe Obama will put socialized medicine in place I doubt it will happen. Too many AMA, drug lobby and insurance lobby dollars going to politicians as supposed donations and that will bring any discussion or vote to a screeching halt.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The World Health Organization lists the U.S. healthcare system as #1 in cost and #37 in quality and effectiveness. http://www.photius.com/ranking s/healthranks.html

Dems and Repubs are arguing about how to give everyone access to this system and how to pay for the drugs. No one seems concerned about the quality-price ratio. The U.S. system revolves around a 2 min. conversation with a doctor, prescription drugs and surgery. No talk about more cost-effective, less-invasive and effective alternative methods. So, don't expect it to improve anytime soon. U.S. automakers are saddled with huge healthcare costs but don't seem to be looking for more effective solutions either.

I heard of a complementary & alternative group operating in a hospital near Chicago. They were getting good outcomes at a fraction of the cost but got kicked out because they were not generating enough revenue for the hospital's X-Ray and MRI departments. They were getting positive results but not needing the expensive imaging services.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3223
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What really sucks is how much the insurance companies REALLY pay for services. My mother got charged $1500 for some in-home services which her insurance company refused to pay for because the Dr. office billed it incorrectly((another thing to watch out for). I called Henry Ford to try to figure out why, and was told that this was the cost and deal with it. I told them she couldn't pay. They told me to pay up or re-file with Banker's Ins. I set up a $75 a month payment plan, and then went back to Banker's. They reviewed the claim, and decided to pay. They made an offer of $150 for the entire bill, which Ford accepted, and the bill was marked paid in full.
That was 10% of the total that my 85 year old, fixed income mother was expected to pay, but the multi-million dollar insurance company paid $150, and Ford was happy. WTF??.This is why insurance premiums are so high, and we need socialized medicine.
And you guys on the right, I don't want to hear why socialization is bad. What we've got now is criminal.

Jcole

Post Number: 3224
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to this, the woman I spoke to was incredibly rude, and without knowing my situation, told me that I should pay it for her so the hospital would get its money. Not my insurance, which wouldn't cover it, but me, out of pocket, without even attempting to rebill. Also, I"M the one who had to re-file, not Ford

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Go ahead vote for public health coverage and watch your waits for anything non-emergent go through the roof."

I'm fine with that. If it's a choice between only half the population being treated in a timely manner or the whole population being treated but having to wait a little longer, I choose the latter. Plus, longer wait times (which may or may not result) would just increase the demand for doctors, creating more jobs and higher pay.

"I deserve fair compensation for the twenty years of classroom education and three to ten years of low paid residency."

You act like its a choice between doctors earning either $200k or minimum wage. Worst case scenario, you'd see a marginal decrease in your compensation, and even that is unlikely over the long term. Either way, the interests of doctors isn't the only value we as a country need to consider here. Those interests must take a back seat to the interests and health of the nation as a whole.

"Lastly, it is the malpractice lawyers that have driven up the cost of medicine."

Yes, lets not blame the malpractice of doctors that actually leads to these law suits being filed in the first place. Lets blame the people who hold these doctors accountable and make these patients whole again.

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normally I hate it when government gets involved in anything, but I doubt the government could do any worse than some of the private companies I’ve dealt with.

Currently, my wife and I have separate contracts with BCBS Michigan and they are constantly getting our claims mixed up… billing my claims against her contract and visa versa… billing this year’s claims against previous years’ contracts…. denying claims because they say we are not covered… etc. Each time it takes several months to get the problem cleared up, and then the next claim they screw it up again. Instead of just using the contract information the doctor supplies them, they seem to ignore it and somehow get into the wrong files every time. I don’t know if it’s incompetence or deliberate stalling to avoid paying the bill. Sometimes I wonder if they are trying to make it so frustrating that I will just give up and pay it myself.

But the worst problems have been with a local hospital (which will remain nameless) who bills me for services covered by my insurance. The worst example was a few years ago. My wife had a procedure, and the bill was nearly $13,000. My insurance (SelectCare at the time) paid $954, and the hospital expected me to pay the rest. When I asked them for a detailed statement they refused. SelectCare, they told me $954 was the contracted amount for the procedure, and they would talk to the hospital. The SelectCare representative tried contacting the hospital’s billing person several times but was always routed to a voicemail and never received a call back. I tried calling the billing person, with the same results. Finally I went to the hospital and complained in person. They eventually admitted that the contracted amount was $954, and SelectCare had paid the whole thing. So I didn’t owe anything. Even after this it took them another two months to get their records straightened out. Total time spent on this issue was six months.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. I got a huge bill one time and sent a letter asking for an itemized bill. Their response? No reply and put my account into collection. :-(

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who goes to the hospital for aspirin and when did they start giving out over the counter drugs.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our doctors and medical system are some of, if not the best in the world, in saving lives in emergency situations. But, our system is heavily focused on these life-threatening injuries and illness. It is extremely inefficient for these highly-trained doctors and systems to be using their training, time and resources for treating sprained ankles and sore shoulders. All 'issues' get funneled through a narrow door and it is an expensive door to enter. In my opinion, there should be more cost-effective options available for 'everyday and common' issues that do not require the resources or attention of our system and which integrate complementary & alternative practices that are being shown to be effective. Take the pressure off the medical system and create new levels of healthcare focused on wellness and holistic healthcare. Save the serious and life-threatening issues for our existing system. And, if you are talking universal care, include these new levels which are cost-effective and minimally invasive. Take the pressure off the doctors and allow them 5 mins. with a patient rather than 2. Would that improve the effectiveness and quality?

I have seen several accidents on the news here that have 'overloaded every emergency room in the area' tending to the injuries. I was a bit surprised how this system was overloaded by just one incident. I think we need to know how to take care of ourselves as much as possible because the services out there may not be available either due to costs or overloading.

If you are a Boomer, I think you should be especially concerned. I once heard the bubble created statistically by our numbers was similar to a meal going through a snake. Our numbers are going to tax the system and the practice of 'drugging them and warehousing them' will probably increase. So, I encourage everyone, especially the Boomers, to exercise, stay healthy and seek out complementary and alternative methods that can accompany your current healthcare options. And, the longer you can stay away from entering that expensive door, the better.

I think the focus should not be so much on how to finance the current system but rather how to improve the system so that it becomes more effective, more affordable and more accessible. And, that means including new modalities and recognizing the importance of the new levels of healthcare.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Lets blame the people who hold these doctors accountable and make these patients whole again."

In all seriousness, how does a cash settlement fix anything in regard to personal injury? It's like wrongful death, how does money take place of a loved one. I have to question the motivations and character of one that would say money made the loss easier. And how it made them "whole" whatever the F that means.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think the focus should not be so much on how to finance the current system but rather how to improve the system so that it becomes more effective, more affordable and more accessible. And, that means including new modalities and recognizing the importance of the new levels of healthcare.

Stop abusing the current system would be a 1st place to start. Too mmuch abuse in the form of using the ER for common problems, people not paying their bills by going to another hospital instead of the county or free hospital.

Jcole

Post Number: 3231
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People are going to continue to use the ER for non-life threatening ailments such as colds, flu, etc as long as everyone doesn't have insurance that will cover those diseases in a doctors office. If you've got a sick kid, and no insurance and the ER has to treat you, where else are you going to go?
Who goes to the hospital for aspirin and when did they start giving out over the counter drugs They have been giving out 'over the counter' drugs for as long as aspirin has been around. It's a pain killer. Also, read my above statement re: people going to the hospital for aspirin

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way to improve the public health system is to stop all the poor from using it?

Jcole

Post Number: 3232
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Nerd, if that's what you got from what I said, you didn't read it very well. I'm saying that we need to supply health insurance that will cover all types of illnesses and injuries, whether it be in a hospital or a Dr. office. ERs are bound by law to not turn a patient away in most circumstances. Drs. offices are not. The ER may bill you later, but a lot of people default on that bill. If we don't want the ERs crammed with people with colds, we need to have a system that will either reimburse Drs offices for services, or have convenient, decent clinics for all sick people.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: Not replying directly to your post, but to _sj_. Sorry for the confusion.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I remember getting sick about ten years ago that required me to stay in the hospital for only two days. The bill was something like $6,000. Thank God I had insurance.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2874
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Too mmuch abuse in the form of using the ER for common problems, people not paying their bills by going to another hospital instead of the county or free hospital.

Where do you live?

There hasn't been a county or free hospital in the Detroit area for decades.

Jcole

Post Number: 3264
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne County General (Eloise) may have been the last free hospital in the ares, and that was years ago.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.