Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit themed gifts, Where to buy? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lady friend has arrived from Germany and she would like to return with a few gifts
that represent Detroit.

Any ideas on shops that sell such things?

She’s not interested in tee-shirts or sports jerseys.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Flyby

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first thing that comes to mind is the shops at Metro on the way home.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a bunch of gifts myself for work, so I'll help.

I had three places I went to... no particular order. All have strengths.

1) Pure Detroit. Locations in the Fisher Bldg, Guardian, and RenCen. Ye Olde Standby for Detroit stuff. Stylish shirts, Seatbelt Belts, Cards, Vernors, Car Cookies, Books, lithographs, photos, bags, pewabic, etc. Rencen has some interesting art and is a little more GM-themed. Nice layout, seems like the three locations sometimes have different things.

http://www.puredetroit.com/

2) 323East in Royal Oak - Eclectic, mostly clothing. You could get them a Kwame Mug there. Also available there is Detroit soap w/street patterns on it. Lots of interesting art though, too - worth a peek. It's more of a collective approach. Lots of great Detroit-based artists. Maybe not necessarily all Detroit, but alot made in Detroit. Extra-Funky. If your friends are into indie or industrial art, this might be for you. Got some stuff for a friend who's a curator of a modern art gallery in NYC there.

http://323east.com/

3) The Bureau of Urban Living - on Canfield by WSU and WDET. By far the cutest shop! Straight outta another big city - you could drop the place in Toronto, NYC, etc and we'd be proud - they had Detroit buttons, cards, candles, and I'm sure they usually have more than my last visit.

GREAT stationary (not all Detroit) - urban-style accessories, awesome layout, exposed brick walls, just every independent shop that opens in Detroit should go there and see how it's done, even if they don't adopt the style.

I go there even when I'm not getting Detroit stuff because they have so much that's fun and useful.

http://www.bureauliving.com/

Then finish your shopping by going across the street and getting yourself some post-consumer-spending dinner at Traffic Jam and Snug.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Pewabic Pottery [Jefferson], the DIA, Historic Museum or the Wayne State book store.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pure Detroit and Pewabic Pottery. Hockeytown too. Also, try the DIA or the Orchestra Hall.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 938
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not interested in wearables? I'd say that something with a Big Three or UAW logo is more representative of "us" than a tile or Detroit-themed Monopoly game. If not for the clothing restriction I'd recommend a trip to the Henry Ford or Flint's Sloan & Buick Gallery to get a thumbnail of our auto history and a chance to see the iron. Then a shirt...

Sounds like she's going to be stuck with a tile and a shot glass.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is/was (I think it's still there) a Motown store in the Northwest Terminal at Metro Airport.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 476
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bureau is great. Pick up some of the great stuff by city bird. A great little line of hand made Detroit themed products by brother/sister duo andy and emily linn. website: www.ilovecitybird.com

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize there were more city bird items.. I've only seen a few of them around. I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled.

I like that there is more than just clothing coming out now, and hopefully some different styles and different things, if there is the demand for it.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 966
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the the city bird nod, mdoyle. what about selling some of your photography?

http://www.ilovecitybird.com

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest bringing back one of those Cadillac Roadsters they make at the Corvette Factory. Too much to ship? How about some of these? http://www.motorcitycandlework s.com/

Ptpelee
Username: Ptpelee

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where I can buy the DET bumper stickers?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The first thing that comes to mind is the shops at Metro on the way home."

Metro Airport is probably the worst place to pick up Detroit themed gifts.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ptpelee - Go to Detroit's Visitor and Convention Bureau's website at www.visitdetroit.com. There you will be able to fill out a form where you receive a complimentary map, magazine, and DET sticker. Not a bad deal.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for your input. We’ll check out these places this week.

Flyby

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitcalendars.co m

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.