Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » To make our cities healthier, think regional « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press has a excellent article today on the need for regional cooperation. In order to make strong regions, regions need cooperation. The article uses cities as Indianapolis, Portland and Minneapolis as examples for growth.
Facts,
Since 1979 Metro Detroit grew population grew only 4.3% and with area of developed land has increased more than 40%.
In Metro Portland had a 25% population increase and only a 1.5% increase in area of developed land.

I know that regional cooperation does not look good right now ; With Kilpatrick still as mayor. The metro area needs a understanding. So the whole area can grow together.

Link here,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080810/OPI NION01/808100360

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff Gerritt also wrote a 2nd article on the need for trust for regional cooperation. He wrote how Grand Rapids/western Michigan is leading the state in regionalism and sustainable development.
The 2nd article is here,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080810/OPI NION01/808100362

Optima
Username: Optima

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great articles both Sg1018. Thanks for including them here. I have long been a proponent for regionalization and my posts reflect that stance. Other areas where this logical solution has worked have a cooperative nature and a population willing and perhaps more able to understand and work toward a better environment by marketing themselves as a region instead of a individual entity. Losing one's identity is a very short-sighted and somewhat simple view of a projected solution that could finally result in the world-class city that everyone talks about. Its unique proximity to universities, an airport system that could be upgraded to world class, one of the the greatest waterways known to man, an established and knowledgable workforce and with a number of metropolis' within a four hour drive(Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, etc.) a real leader could market this area as a epi-center of the entire Midwest. (Automation Alley in Oakland County is an embryonic attempt at this effort).

Realistically we are talking about a plan that has yet to even be mapped out in this area due to a variety of serious and very threatening situations that may forever and permanently blight this area and perhaps never bring it to a level of competence let alone a serious contender for attracting and keeping progressive and high-tech businesses as a region.

Instead, we have a mostly incompetent government bent on polluting and forever threatening the existence of our fresh water system by importing waste - medical and other forms of waste and injecting them into our soil. This, plus incinerators that pollute our air while we clear cut our most renewable resource - trees - to make way for even more "soon to be abandoned" McMansions. Believe me, I understand "responsible" economic progress but cannot understand the mentality of state and local leadership who advocate these types of toxic "solutions" while endangering a gift of the Great Lakes that is unique to our entire planet!

There is plenty of incompetence in this state to go around but (over)taxing the dwindling single businesses still willing (and attempting) to make a go at surviving in this state's dying economy is so utterly ridiculously wrong it is simply maddening...

Sadly, I see little hope for this area as opposed to the other areas of our state and country that are succeeding in this regionalization venture and personally I find it too vast a task to change mentalities here and spend the sweat equity necessary to educate the involved parties that I personally would rather move to a more "progressive minded" area where politics are cast aside in favor of vision, cooperation, and foresight, not mere survival.

I am neither a liberal or conservative by definition and typically eschew centralized power structures but in this case, it is a feasible solution and much of the necessary groundwork is already in place. What is missing are the key ingredients: trust and cooperation!

Conversely, Grand Rapids has always impressed me as a forward-minded community that has now forged ahead and will likely be a shining example of regionalization and will be showcasing all of the successes and wonders that other regions have or will be enjoying soon.

Currently, our city is an international joke and if I never hear the name Kwame Kilpatrick again, it will suit me just fine.

Cm

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Optima, I agree with your logic here, but I think your conclusion might be a bit short-sighted. The type of progressive-type thinking you're looking for is very common in our new generation of Detroiters. Most of the college educated under-40's are open to seeing Detroit as one region, rather than a fractured collection suburbs and one dysfunctional city. Note that I said "open to seeing", not "seeing". But that's still better than our elders in leadership who drew lines in the sand and dared each other to cross.

So the seeds of trust and cooperation are there, Optima. I've seen the energy with my own eyes, and I've seen it growing, albeit slowly. There are a lot of people open to trying new things. That's one of the biggest reasons why I'm so upset at KK. He had enough charisma to build trust with investors from outside the city (and state), and he ruined all of it because of some very deep-rooted character flaws.

But there are forward thinking people here who are not jaded by the nonsense that has taken place over the last 40 years. It will take their rise to power and the descent of those who are still stuck in old ways in order for things to change.

What can we do for these people? One thing that might help is to help encourage their energy, misguided and naive as it may be at times. This region is full of haters, hating because of hateful events that happened long ago. Let's try not to spread our anger and frustration to the new class coming in. They (we) will have enough of it to deal with already.

YPD

Optima

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YPD,

I guess my frustration was starting to show as I've had these ideas and seen the results in so many other places I've traveled that it seems as if we continually miss the opportunities to be not only a successful and unique region potentially encompassing a economically productive area that could (feasibly) extend to and include Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint, Jackson and yes, even Windsor. That would make us an international region and would include all of the uniqueness this area possesses.

But to continually witness the same devastating felonies from our leaders and their economic missteps and watch our tax base erode on a daily basis confirms for me why people with educations and the means to leave this area do so. In all honesty, I now count myself among them...

Realistically, about the only enticement left to attract the businesses we so desperately need to the city since we cannot guarantee their safety or that anything of value will still be there on a day to day basis, are tax abatements - even further eroding the remaining base that IS still in place.

Also, the national media that is here to cover the remaining dinosaur-like car companies act as if their directives are to keep piling dirt on the city in its, well, continuous loop of dark days and trying times. There is rarely, if ever, ANY positive news that is not fluff in this town. I have quite literally tuned out as it is simply too much to handle. Actually, this was done years ago...

If I sound fed up, I am. I am a very positive person but can no longer understand, rationalize, or promote a city that continually and repeatedly votes for its own self-destruction. Why should I have empathy if the actual voters don't care? It is not a judgment call on my part but a complete and utter disconnect from where I once was as an strong advocate of the progress I once saw in the city to the redundancy of mass ineptitude when choosing thugs, I mean, leaders that continually lie, cheat, and act as if they are above the law.
Then, the source of this childish and inexcusable behavior, his mother, is rewarded by being given another spin on the public dole...
Kwame will NOT vacate office until his pension is guaranteed. His selfish, brash and utterly disdainful behavior cannot be explained in any other way.

I work very hard and still hold ideals and values that will hopefully be appreciated and rewarded elsewhere. I am not angry but deeply saddened for the many people who strive for a better life and honestly work hard toward their goals who are instead subjected to inane behavior and then forced to foot the bill for the defense of such sleazy characters. Hey, I know I will be okay but I worry and pray for those who may not be and are continually at risk.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cm, I don't blame you for being angry. There's only one solution to anger, and I hope you will find it in good time.

Take care, and keep on pushing for a better tomorrow -

YPD

Optima

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Kwame stays in office through November of this year, I believe he qualifies for a $168,000 pension.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitsustainablec ity1.blogspot.com/

Optima

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jb3,

I know I needed that infusion of positive energy.

Perhaps I too, like those I try not to criticize, am somewhat guilty of being paralyzed by the overwhelming negativity, apathy and indifference. Thanks for interjecting...

Planting is a brilliant way to simply and easily transform blight and reignite the earth.

For a few years now I have envisioned mass amounts of evergreens (green all year and no leaves) lining freeways and highway partitions and entrance and exit ramps along our innumerable miles of expressways.

So far the best example of this is on Ford Road heading west toward the 275 exchange. Giving state and/or local tax credits to nurseries who donate trees is about as far in the proposal as I've gotten so far. The actual work necessary for planting these trees may be performed by public service candidates for speeding tickets and other minor infractions.

Any further suggestions?? Should Global ReLeaf of Michigan be contacted??

http://www.globalreleaf.org/

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Optima!

That's the philosophy i live by, we don't really own anything, we are simply borrowing it, even our clothes are natural resources that usually end up in landfills, but i digress.

Seriously, though, what is up with even our highway 'greenspace' that are simply mutililated by lawnmowers every week so we can have brown grass. I don't understand why we are paying 'landscape' companies to tear and grind away a natural growing medium. They should be getting paid instead to cultivate native plants and try to reestablish our natural ecosystem....i like your idea of the community service aspect. That way, the landscapers could still get paid but in a supervisory position.

anyway...thanks again! I'm going to post the link on my blog for all of my two readers (including myself).

cheers!

Optima

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jb3,

Thanks for spreading the word. I have been stifled in my desire to bring about this change and hope we can engage the proper channels and people to get this idea aloft.

Cm

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4409
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Should Global ReLeaf of Michigan be contacted??

Are you familiar with the Greeing of Detroit?

http://www.greeningofdetroit.c om/

Optima

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The greening site looks great. I need to contact Global ReLeaf anyway about their 501C3 status and to see if they want to become a recipient of the Honest Tea Drink Pouch Brigade.

Quite simply, we collect drink pouches that mostly kids use and send them in for recycling. Collection materials are provided. We then receive $.01 or $.02 per pouch depending on the brand to be donated to the 501 recipient of our choice. This is also true for yogurt containers, protein bar wrappers, etc.

Payouts are bi-annually and there is no sign-up fee or expense to the collectors - everything is pre-paid...I mean, as long as we're cleaning up, we might as well support ourselves!

Details here:

http://www.terracycle.net/brig ades/

or here:

http://www.honesttea.com/news/ terracycle/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.