Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Does Detroit Have Many Homes Like This (Wagner House)? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pictures are to big to shrink down. You can see two good ones at the link below. Be sure to view the second close up picture.

Link: flickr.com/photos/69033322@N00/1974659199

Does Detroit have many homes like this? It is one of Kally and my favorites.

My other favorite is the House Of Oak in Saginaw. Both of these homes are going to be demolished for more suburban designs. I wish I could get them here to Detroit. :-(

Link: http://flickr.com/photos/81709445@N00/2235706402

Cut and paste for link to work (if anyone can figure out how to get them click-able, your help would be appreciated).

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 11, 2008)

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 2786
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out these homes:

http://www.historicbostonediso n.org/forsale/forsale.shtml

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 967
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a home similar to this on Trumbull that I have always admired. (on the east side of the street, a few blocks north of GR...)

street view:

0%2C-12.100203289414223,http:/ /maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e n&geocode=&q=trumbull+and+gran d+river,+detroit&sll=37.0625,- 95.677068&sspn=48.822589,76.99 2187&ie=UTF8&ll=42.348062,-83. 075008&spn=0.011212,0.018797&t =k&z=16&layer=c&cbll=42.345296 ,-83.074807&panoid=jLqrGSqhR_E HZkPvEyKY5A&cbp=1,86.322771187 78615,,0,-12.100203289414223

It has some kind of weird cinder block expansion (elevator?) on the north side which is ugly, but otherwise it is a BEAUTIFUL home. I always thought it was a lost cause, but a month or so ago, scaffolding went up, and now there is a brand spanking new roof on it! whomever is renovating it has my full approval and appreciation! what (an) amazing people/person.

Good work.

Check it out Sean, I think you would like it...

Andylinn

Post Number: 968
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, does any one know what that style of home is called? (particularly that square style "spire" in the roof that slowly narrows as it rises...)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking that's what you call your basic Queen Anne type house.

I had a friend (since passed away) who lived in San Francisco, he really liked early 20th century architecture, hated the Victorian homes there. When ever we would pass a row of them he would say "that house would look good in..............flames!"

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, those homes would easily sell for over a million in Baltimore

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why we're looking so serious at Boston Edison. They would bring easy $300,000 down here. Just waiting to see what happens with the economy and Kwame.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wow, those homes would easily sell for over a million in Baltimore"

Yeah, but they'd look so much better with aluminum siding.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first house in Sean's post is Second Empire style, and the second in Italianate.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever leave the CBD and head through Woodbridge, Boston - Edison, Arden Park, Islandview, Indian Village or Palmer Woods? If you have you could answer your own question.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10283
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad someone said it. It doesn't take much to take a walk or drive through Detroit to answer such simple questions.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox, I do not live in the CBD, I live very near one of the places you mentioned.

Sorry, I don't get to drive down every street like you do. Honestly, most homes I've seen in West Detroit were very similar to the suburban homes. If you ever drive around the craft and such, you'll find a lot of houses that all look the same.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 940
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you ever drive around the craft

Schoolcraft?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3358
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craft? Schoolcraft?

Sorry, but if you talking about Schoolcraft, I hear that area is about as rough as it gets (from an eastsider's perspective?

Craig

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Yeah, and 'houses that all look the same' in that they're uniformly abandoned or knocked flat, as in the area where 'craft runs as the surface drive for the Jeffries.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That has nothing to do with the topic.

Craig

Post Number: 942
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, then bring this back by explaining what you meant by "craft."

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh for cryin' out loud... are you guys serious?

Andylinn

Post Number: 969
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is getting way off topic, and a trifle nasty. let's get back to the original topic and lay off sean, ok?

Craig

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly: what in the hell is the reference to "craft?"

Re: "House of Oak in Saginaw" (actually in the Township)... the floors were bowed and windows leaked like crazy when I was in it last. No question that these old shacks have a lot of character, but there's also a reason that big old homes are abandoned and then scrapped.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh... YES Schoolcraft!

Jcole

Post Number: 3225
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon, Sean, as an eastsider, if I said 'along the Beck' would you automatically take that to mean on Groesbeck?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2987
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Never heard Schoolcraft ever referred to as "the craft."

Craig

Post Number: 946
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sigh... YES Schoolcraft!

For what it's worth I grew up in Detroit not far off of Schoolcraft and before your post I'd never heard it referred to as...

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, I too grew up just off of Schoolcraft and never heard it refered to as the Craft. New one on me!

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both houses are neat, I think the Wagner house is the best one.

Nainrouge, I clicked on the BE link. I can't believe how cheap those houses are. They are all so nice. Wish I could afford one.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That really surprises me. It is really called that by people in the area. Heck, O. Trice (a rapper from that area) has used it in his lyrics time and again. Much of the "underground" scene call it that too... as does many of it's residents.

Honestly, it is!

Either way, I don't think it's THAT hard to figure out. Unless of course you are unfamiliar with the area.

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the Munster's house.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to detroitblog.org and scroll down there's a pretty cool Detroit house

Craig

Post Number: 947
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Sean, I grew up there and lived most of my life in the shadow of that street. I know 'graph and I can get you to LaSHer, but craft is new to this native son. Maybe craft is a Livonia thing?

One other thing: Schoolcraft, just off of the Southfield, is what some call South Rosedale and others call Minnock Park. Many unique homes there, but I cannot say that I've seen a mate to your House of Oak.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, The house of Oak in Saginaw was already having structural problems as of 20 years ago. It was doomed since the 80's

Saginaw and Bay City have lots of Italianate

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the original topic had something to do with identifying architectural styles in homes.

I got "A Field Guide to American Houses" (by Virginia & Lee McAlester) last week for my birthday. Learn it, live it, love it.

Yes, 56packman, there is a lot of animosity among fans of various building genres. I myself am a product of a mixed marriage (Dad was Mr. Gothic, Ma was 20th Cen. Mod). I think I got the best of both.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Craft" to me is Schoolcraft College. Lots of nice homes near there :-)

Diane, if you ever do decide to look at Boston Edison, let me know. I know someone at the association that would love to show you around. Of course, there are lots of other nice houses like that around (Indian Village, etc.), but the Boston Edison website is the only site that I know of that posts the houses currently for sale.

Jcole

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I stated earlier, The first house in Sean's post is Second Empire style, and the second in Italianate.
Beautiful styles both.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saginaw and Bay City have lots of Italianate

But they have a lot more post-1970s McHomes.

My Dad built our house in Detroit. You just bought a lot and built on it. Today, my house in TX is built of crumbling fake adobe brick just like every house in town, except "old town" (pre-1940) where the houses are $$$!

With all the remodeling and renovating techniques and materials now available, it just seems like a no-brainer. The White House had structural problems in the 1950s and they fixed that! That in of itself is not a death sentence. That house being town down is all about money, I assure you.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean's statement about houses along the Schoolcraft Corridor look like suburban houses is not true.

Sussex house

You can't find this (terribly neglected) Spanish Mission Revival house at the corner of Sussex and Schoolcraft in the suburbs.

In addition, the southern border of the Grandmont neighborhood (east of Southfield) and the Grandmont #1 neighborhood (west of Southfield Fw) is at Schoolcraft and there are some unique or at least well-built houses from the 1920's to the 1950's in those 'hoods.

Also, around Wyoming Avenue, there are some classic and charming bungalows and colonials from the 1910's and 1920's. Ilene and Washburn Streets (east of Wyoming) south of Schoolcraft are really nice with great arching trees. Streets west of Wyoming have classic housing too, but without the trees.

Also, at Schoolcraft's east terminus, are the spectacular 1920's and 1930's rowhouse type buildings of Ewald Circle.

Jcole

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bay City/Saginaw has a lot of turn of the 20th century houses, largely because of the lumbar barons. there are some real beauties.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My house on Archdale (built in '34) btw. Kendall and Schoolcraft (HO!) had a Pewabic tile fireplace. We also had a neighborhood whino who would wrap himself around the tree in front of our house and sing those really high lyrics (think earth wind and fire "reasons", or the Chi-lites, or Eddie Kendricks for that matter), and hit those notes.

Suburban, my ass!

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamt-did a google tour along Archdale, neat houses. I grew up on Archdale and Fargo, tract houses :-(.

Nainrouge-thanks for the offer. I am stuck here in Austin. I would have to have a lot of money and a very hardworking man to be able to get a dream house in BE or any of the other lovely areas. (Or I could find a a hardworking man with money who already owns or wants to own a classic.) :-)

(Message edited by dianeinaustin on August 12, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected! :-)

I know the area around the split of I-96 from Schoolcraft the best.

Masterblaster, that house is really kewl. Most of the houses I remember looked very much like my Grandpa's house, just to the South of that area (near Greenfield and Plymouth). There are some nice ones, but a lot more of the suburban style... either that or my memory is really that foggy (and it may really be that foggy... LOL!).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.