Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Forbes: Ghost Cities Of 2100 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, U.S.A.
Cause: Population flight

Detroit's population has decreased by a third since 1950 to about 950,000, and it is expected to shrink slowly but steadily until at least 2030--unemployment inside the city is currently more than 10%. (The suburbs around Detroit, meanwhile, are growing.) If trends hold, Detroit will be altered beyond recognition by 2100.

http://tinyurl.com/6ntzwq

Kind of interesting. I'm sure you're all tired of these lists, though. They don't generally mean anything.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8114
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm losing track of all the Forbes lists. I hope they put out a Forbes list of Forbes' Best Lists to make it easier for me. Or maybe a Forbes List of Lists Where Forbes Bashed Detroit Again.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4710
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or maybe a Forbes List of Lists Where Forbes Bashed Detroit Again.

Since when does stating valid figures constitute as "bashing"? Has Detroit, or the State of Michigan for that matter, done a single thing to address population decrease in Detroit?

Johnlodge, you're usually a pretty rational guy, but you blowing off something so blatantly factual doesn't make it trivial.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8116
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm being irrational, but Forbes can predict 100 years into the future and make a list about it. Good thing they weren't around in 1700, or we might have made the Forbes List of Colonies That Will Revolt By 1800, and then the Brits would have known what we were up to.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan,

I'm sorry but I don't see anything "factual" in a prediction of population trends. Especially when you take Detroit and rank it with cities that will be underwater, blown up, or wiped out by drought.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, the key phrase here is "if trends hold." I'm not sure what extrapolating data nearly 100 years into the future proves, but okay. I mean, a few things might happen within that amount of time...

"Has Detroit, or the State of Michigan for that matter, done a single thing to address population decrease in Detroit?"

Umm...excuse me? Have you forgotten everything that the Cool Cities initiative did for this city??? :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8117
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK I see now that this list is over a year old. My "Detroit bashing" comment came from the fact there was just a list in the last issue "Fastest Dying Cities", so it just seemed like they were on a marathon there. I guess once a year is a little better.

No, Dan you are right about addressing the problems. Don't think I am defending that.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you watch tonight's "future fourcast" on WDIV, then note the actual weather a week from now, you will gain some understanding about how accurately a trained forecaster, with the latest in equipment and decades of data at his disposal, can predict a fairly controlled phenomenon seven days in advance.

Now take a magazine reporter, give him fifty years of population decline, and let him make a wild-ass guess about what will happen decades from now, in a massively entropic environment with literally millions of variables and no physics to fall back on. Is that going to be more or less accurate than what Chuck Gaidica tried to do?

Look at it this way: what would that same kind of article have looked like in 1830, or 1880, or 1950?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7608
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 2100 Detroit would in these numbers:

52.9% Centurians

20.2% Tau Cetis

10% white

6% Hispanic

1% black

1.1% Asian

1% Other

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While perhaps fun, predicting populations 100 years in advance is going to be pretty inaccurate. I would contend there are several reasons for this, including but not limited to:

(1) The only way to predict the future is by looking at the past. As a result, people's predictions must use past trends as a basis. In the short term, this can be pretty accurate. For example, I predict that Detroit's population will be lower in five years than it is now. That is a prediction that will almost certainly be true. Predicting the same fifty years from now becomes much more difficult.

(2) Technology is difficult to predict, not to mention its impact on population growth. In the future, not only will there be life-extending advances in medicine, but there will be technological advances of all sorts. What kinds? I cannot say for certain, just as few in 1950 could have predicted the world wide web and the existence of a Forum about Detroit containing members from all over the world. But these technological advances could alter people's perceptions of where it is desirable to live.

(3) Socio-political changes. Over time, there will be changes in society and politics that could affect where people choose to live. There is nothing to say that the trend will continue towards sprawl. For example, some people argue that the death of suburbs is in our future with higher energy costs. I do not think that the suburbs are going to die anytime soon, but how can one predict what might happen 50 years from now, no less 100.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Detroiters around in 1908 would probably be amazed that Detroit has over 900,000 residents today in 2008. On the other hand, Detroiters from 1958 probably wouldn't be so impressed...

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters from 1958 had already saw a decrease of about 300,000 people.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must add my 2 cents.

Although Detroit is dying a slow death (not dead yet), the final nail won't be in place by 2010.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3385
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroiters from 1958 had already saw a decrease of about 300,000 people.

More like the 100K range.

Even still, the nearly 1.7 million population figure of 1960 Detroit is a far cry from the 900K figure of today. If it had 1.7 million people today, Detroit would still be the 5th largest city in the U.S.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Realistically, we would still had 1.5 million people (considering the 1967 riots), a centralized downtown & a middle class tax base if it weren't for the Young administration.

Even then we would still be the 6th largest city in the U.S.A. (tied with Philadelphia).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 11, 2008)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young is not responsible for Detroit losing 1 million people.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yes, but he is responsible for the city losing 500,000 people (white middle class).

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3387
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No... he isn't.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3362
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well just take a look at the Census count between 1974 - 1992.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3388
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well just take a look at the Census count between 1974 - 1992.

Was he also responsible for the 600,000 people who left New York, the 600,000 people who left Chicago, and the 400,000 people who left Philadelphia while he was mayor of Detroit?

Professorscott

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend Dave the statistician did, in the early 1980s, a demographic map of the future showing who would live where and in what quantities within the metro area. He broke it down demographically by the major demographic groups that had significant population centers in metro Detroit at the time: black, middle eastern, hispanic, Jewish, white non-arabic.

The map, over the years, has proven to be spookily accurate. He never published it and he doesn't share it publicly because of the kind of backlash he'd get. The map only went out to the early part of this decade; it no longer predicts anything, and he isn't going to make a new one.

He based it on studies of demographic shifting in other parts of the world; it had nothing whatsoever to do with who the mayor was. It did have to do with where the City and region had built highways, water lines and sewer lines, and racially bias-based real estate trends in the United States. (Redlining, "flipping", etc.)

I don't think it's credible that you can blame Coleman Young for massive demographic shifts. The City's population was declining before he took office and has declined since he left office, and since he died. Populations move with infrastructure, and here as everywhere, wealthy people are attracted to new things which poor people can't afford.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, that logical fallacy is so common there is a Latin phrase for it: Post hoc ergo propter hoc. It means "after this, therefore because of this". Just because two things happened in a sequence does not mean there is a causal link between the two.

I went camping this weekend with the wife and kids, and Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes died. Please don't blame my camping trip for their deaths.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't disagree.

However, can you prove to me the largest mass abandonment that occurred in Young's administration had nothing to do with him. Yet somehow, the population stabilized between 1970 -1974?

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like 1.6 Ihearted. Detroit went from 1.85 million to 1.6 million appox., from 1950-1960. 1960-1970, they only lost 100,000. Then the big jump of 300,000 from 1970-1980. So I was off by 50,000, but still. Even in the 80's there where 1.2 million.

I don't understand why people don't talk about how the decrease is slowing to a crawl. Just think if all the cities in the top ten at that time where still at the same level. Philly was above 2 million so now they're either 6th or maybe 7th now at 1.4, 1950 they were third. Chicago has lost more than 600,000 people I don't understand these predictions. There are no facts to just Forbes Sh#tting on Detroit. I could see them tracking all us Cities, but all I see is Detroit on every worst list with no facts.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

More like 1.6 Ihearted. Detroit went from 1.85 million to 1.6 million appox., from 1950-1960. 1960-1970, they only lost 100,000. Then the big jump of 300,000 from 1970-1980. So I was off by 50,000, but still. Even in the 80's there where 1.2 million.

Detroit was 1.67 million in 1960, hence my rounding up to 1.7 million.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^by 1990, Detroit was at exactly 1 million, so yes, 500,000 people left Detroit (along with the economic base) in Young's adminstration.

Of course unlike Detroit, Chicago & Philadelphia never did lose their tax base like Detroit, half of those cities aren't abandoned nor did the economic base flee for Joliet or Wilmington.

Tayllik
Username: Tayllik

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forbes like many in the national media that just loves to pick on Detroit. They like use Detroit as some kind of symbol of the worst of urban America. Its so clear these people no nothing about this area because by there logic in the year 2100 southeast Michigan will be and empty city of Detroit surrounded by former suburbs it really make no sense.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody knows what the population was in 1974. The population count in 1970 was done by an actual census, so is (arguably) fairly accurate. Anything done between census years is an estimate, based on something other than a count, so there is no reason to take any stock in it.

There have been many discussions on other threads about the value of mid-decade population estimates. I'm on a planning commission in my community, and we don't pay any attention whatever to those numbers.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^by 1990, Detroit was at exactly 1 million, so yes, 500,000 people left Detroit (along with the economic base) in Young's adminstration.

Nobody disputed that. You said that those 500,000 people left because of Coleman Young. While it is possible that 500,000 people left because of him, it's highly unlikely. There were other major American cities that had similar population declines during the same time period. Did Coleman Young cause those other cities to shrink as well?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The population of workers will tend to the machines in underground caverns under what was the city of Detroit. Those on the surface, who have declined due to decadence, will be preyed upon by the degenerated under ground populace during the hours of darkness due to their having adapted to a subterranean habitat.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not very fond of predictions. I don't think people in the 40's would have predicted Detroit's losses. Similarly it's difficult to predict if there will be a gain or not. Eventually something will change for the better or worse.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they will be Morlocks?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, devolved Polacks.

Danny

Post Number: 7609
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Segregation, xenophobia, urban disinvestment, suburbs, freeways, riots, blockbusting, white flight, economic flight, growing black communities, poor public school district, poor police protection and political corruption is responsible for Detroit losing 1 million people.

Detroit's image is what it is today. We live it, we breathe in it and we talk about it. However we can't even solve its urban problems.

So here we are, the new millenium, still talking about Detroit's problems and playing race cards at the same time. Blacks this and whites that, is it going to end? I would say in about 1,000 years.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was a great American city filled with people. Then there were riots and Coleman Young was elected. White people left Detroit and bad, bad black people destroyed it.

How freakin' long is this crazy-ass myth going to survive? :-(

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all moot..in order for trends starting in the 1950's to hold, particularly in regard to personal commuting, other variables (can we say "the price of gasoline") need to remain constant.
My personal prediction is that urban areas are gonna see an influx as the cost of getting to/from work continues to rise.

Danny

Post Number: 7611
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd,

Not all black people are bad bad. That includes not all white people are bad bad. Black folks want to come to Detroit not only to escape from segregated south, but to find good decent jobs and nice home. It's mostly white folks who put their blood, sweat and tears of building their Detroit neighborhoods. They would do anything to protect it. Detroit just like any other U.S. cities back in the early 20th Century Boomtown Era was designed to all the ethnic folks in one basket. Any ethnic folks who step out to the a white urban community is going to recieve threats. Now the housing and economic has changed and civil rights kill racial discrimination blacks and any other ethnic folks to can anywhere they want.

No thanks to those who kept on playing race cards, Detroit is what it is in the new millenium. You all see the urban problems in every corner and the suburbanites are crying boo hoo about Detroit's troubles. So don't blame big bad black folks are turning Detroit into mush, blame white folks for leaving Detroit and not living in racial harmony with blacks.

Word from the Street Prophet

Looks like I have royal flush in this race card game.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit did not lose any population. It spread out a bit. Compare Detroit to LA and New York.

LA 498.3 Square Miles 3.8 Million People
New York 304.8 Square Miles 8.2 Million
Detroit 138 Square Miles, 920,000

By these figures the population density is higher in Detroit than it is LA!!
The inner ring suburbs should have been added to the city as they were developing, but that is another thread altogether.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch, no way can you predict what might happen that far in the future. Thing is, this is America, a basically Capitalistic greed based environment. Once Detroit reaches bottom, it will be seen as a way to make money. Investors don't pray on those without money, they market to those with money.

Also, has anybody ever thought that maybe Detroit was TOO BIG in 1960? Maybe it being 750,000 to 900,000 for it's square mileage isn't so bad.

I don't like the idea of being large for largess sake. Of course, infrastructure and taxes need to reflect population density.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russix, you've become a demographer! You have unearthed something which demographers know but the public does not - Detroit is a fairly dense American city, right in the same place as Boston, and more dense than the City of Angels. I warn you, though, people don't want to believe it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3367
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster49, not at all.

Downtown detroit wasn't filled with surface lots & the neighborhoods weren't filled with prairies in 1960. If anything, our size, density & occupancy was just perfect.

If someone wanted to, they can always aloow some parts of the city to be annexed to be suburb (like Delray or the far out-lying areas).

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Hell Detroit wasn't so bad in 70s..the riot didn't ruin it all.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit is a fairly dense American city, right in the same place as Boston"

Detroit may be denser than people think (it is exactly as dense as I think!) but it is not in the same place as Boston. Boston's density is about 12000/sq mi, which is almost twice as dense as Detroit if you take the 920,000 population figure as correct.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4716
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is a fairly dense American city, right in the same place as Boston, and more dense than the City of Angels. I warn you, though, people don't want to believe it.

Detroit: 920,000 persons / 139 sq mi = 6620 psm

Los Angeles: 3,800,000 persons / 498 sq mi = 7630 psm

Boston: 600,000 persons / 48 sq mi = 12,500 psm

Now, a city exactly the same size area as Detroit:

Philadelphia: 1.5 million persons / 139 sq mi = 10790 psm

Detroit's population density is about exactly on par with that of Cleveland. Not sure if you guys ever noticed the fields full of phesants or anything, but I fail to see that as a sign that Detroit was once "too crowded".

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young wasn't around when real estate speculators ravaged the city in the 60s selling low to whites and then selling high to blacks moving into areas on the west side. Young was just the last straw (losing all the auto jobs could be considered the last straw but the exodus was pretty much over by then anyway) for the white tax base in the city. Most of those people weren't afraid of blacks, they just didn't like crime and they really loved the city. Once the crime encroached on them (like it did to my family) the love of Detroit became an afterthought. Young did little to prevent crime (nor ease fears/concerns from residents of all color about crime in the late 70s and early 80s) and when the crack epidemic hit Detroit became a war zone. When you get stuff stolen out of your garage and call the police and they don’t come out for three days because they are busy with 500+ murders, it’s time to move. Those blaming Coleman Young are wrong, those defending him on the exodus topic are wrong but Young certainly didn’t help Detroit at a time where it was still possible to keep it afloat.

My Dad always said that the day Mayor Cavanagh stepped down was the day the city was doomed for good. That, the fair housing act, fear, speculation, hate, the riots, crime, crack, and renters mentality took the city from one of the best places to live in America to one of the worst in about 20 years. It's actually quite extraordinary in a city that didn't experience the ravages of war but Sarajevo is in much better shape in 2008 than Detroit is. And I'm not saying that to be dramatic, I'm saying it because it's the truth.

Danny

Post Number: 7612
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right, THE BIG Lombaowski.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well let's see, at he ends of Young's Terms...

-Businesses were practically frightened to locate anywhere in Detroit (except at that time the outer fringes).

-Unemployment rates were at their lowest during his term.

-He steepened the city/suburb divide (mainly racial divide) even further "Hit 8 Mile Road!". This in fact may have ruined our chances of a large scale subway system back in the 80s.

-Many of his policies only favored blacks.

-Crime rates peaked under his administration.

-As Lombaowski stated, Crack-Cocaine did wipe out the lower east side & Cass Corridor (areas not affected by the 1967 riots). However, Young didn't do enough to prevent this. Why? Because the tax base was rapidly decreasing.

I'm sure all of those ingredients alone caused many people to leave.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 12, 2008)

Danny

Post Number: 7618
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russix,

Detroit lose over 800,000 people in the last 50 years. That includes 1,500,000 white folks leaving about 686,000 poor low-income blacks, under 90,000 whites, 51,000 hispanics 9,800 Asians and 40,000 Arabs and Chaldeans combined
That's is why Detroit's population

That would be about 900,000 mark.

Word from the Street Prophet #174 Danny, The Ghettoman's assistant VP

The American ghetto is a internment camp for the minorities.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.