Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hip Hop « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the guy in Bowling Green who went to school in Detroit, I've been asked to guide a tour of Detroit, primarily aimed at entertaining a 15 year old from Austria who's really into hip hop. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick up a Metro Times (www.metrotimes.com)

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol show a tour of all the scenes in 8 mile.

you know the shelter, chin tiki, michigan theater, some burnt out houses and a trailer park.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Izzy

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 970
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tune into public access and show the kid the show belle isle to eight mile - entertaining local hip-hop show... lot's of amateur and semi-professional videos in front of the DIA, on bellisle, and in the middle of woodward.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prof, If the kid is from Austria, he probably has a somewhat limited command of the English language. Impress him by plinking a few notes on a child's toy piano and in a sing-song manner, spout repetitive doggerel, punctuating it with frequent motherfuckers, bitches and ho's.

Show the kid you really know your stuff by proudly proclaiming that Detroit has a hip-hop mayor.

Gee, kid, I'd rather be skiing or yodeling in the Alps.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Show him Eminem's boyhood home on Timken in Warren.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ProfessorJackson. I also agree with Izzy. There's a scene in 8 mile where Eminem is writing lyrics while riding on a bus while travelling down Chene between Mack and Ferry. Lots of memorable
backgrounds that are easy to identify. Id be glad to give you a hand giving a tour as I live right around the corner. I would bet he would get a kick out of seeing Chene in that area.

The Packard plant might be fun also. Ive been thinking about setting up another run through there as I did a few months back for Fishtoes and his girl. There were a few people interested here on DYes in checking out the tunnels there.

Prof, when is he going to be in town?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, um a shame this kid won't see real hip-hop. Go to Philly. Nothing has been good since Dilla is gone.

(Message edited by wolverine on August 11, 2008)

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Prof, If the kid is from Austria, he probably has a somewhat limited command of the English language."

At the risk of serious backlash I say...if he is from Austria he probably speaks English better than most of the kids in the U.S. do.

There really isn't a hip hop scene that's catered to teens in the area (that I've heard of). I think the tour of scenes from 8 Mile is the best idea yet. When's he coming? Alvin's has hip-hop, but it's not a place for a 15-year-old to go by himself.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At the risk of serious backlash I say...if he is from Austria he probably speaks English better than most of the kids in the U.S. do.

I can confirm this Melody, while I was over there for a bit I'd forget I wasn't in an "English speaking country" most of the time.

Django

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy. You really know how to make friends dont you, and on your #100 post no less.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I have no intention of making friends. I enjoy being a miserable old coot....now, get off my lawn!

Django

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And kids are throwing rocks at MY house, LOL.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously Prof, the place to take the kid is the Charles Wright Museum. Ellington. Basie, Coltrane, Bird, Miles, Armstrong, Fitzgerald, Launchford,Waller etal. Maybe the young lad will get a perspective on what real Black music is.

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine do you not know your hip-hop? You're a moron first off. There has been a huge resurgence of hip-hop since Dilla's demise. You ever hear of Guilty Simpson, Phat Kat, Slum Village, Black Milk, Invincible, Finale, etc. Yeah, nothing good huh? Just get out of the pool now.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just keep going.... I'm listening

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick: I lived on Theut for a while and never knew that! I learn something new every day :-)

The 8 Mile idea is good--if you did that and you like cool cars you'd be in the neighborhood to check the Auto Fair @ the Fairgrounds http://detroit.metromix.com/ev ents/social_hobby_clubs/autofa ir-detroit/520698/content

you could go to the Motown Museum, not hip hop but some roots for sure
http://www.motownmuseum.com/

Detroitwhat
Username: Detroitwhat

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to know your definition of good hip hop...............so please enlighten me guy.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And Id like to take a minute just sit right there
Ill tell you how I became the prince of a town called bel-air

In west philadelphia born and raised
On the playground where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys said were up in no good
Started making trouble in my neighbourhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said youre moving with your aunte and uncle in bel-air

(only the first three episodes of season one)

I begged and pleaded with her the other day
But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
She gave me a kissin and she gave me my ticket
I put my walkman on and said I might aswell kick it

First class, yo this is bad,
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass
Is this what the people of bel-air livin like,
Hmm this might be alright!

I whistled for a cab and when it came near the
Licensplate said fresh and had a dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought now forget it, yo home to bel-air

I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabby yo, home smell you later
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there
To settle my throne as the prince of bel-air

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.