Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » 2 New Detroit Video's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Lt7ApT6wB4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OLf7pXpTBGQ&feature=user

One is a video made on MAC as the other is made on HP
The Effects and such are different!

Enjoy!

French777

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music isn't very good!

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be honest here for a second...I'm not a big fan of your video.

There's no need to be divisive between the city and suburbs, which is what you're essentially doing here. Too subjective and "tunnel-visioned" if you ask me.

This is the type of attitude that we need to erase in our parts, not promote.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They aren't to bad from the video standpoint. However, highlighting dividing lines is not the way to go, I think. You will reach more people if you present it as; "your suburbs are great, and here look, your city is great too!"

Catering to one side drives away those with opposing views. Although, I guess there is also a problem in trying to be everything to everyone. I guess you could still cater to one side, without telling the other they stink too.

Otherwise, not bad! I never heard that Rhianna song... it's... interesting...

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 12, 2008)

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think all he tried to do is promote Detroit. I mean, hard as it is to believe, Oakland and Macomb are not the lands of champagne and caviar, there are foreclosures and crime. French is a 16 year old kid, living in Rochester who loves to be in Detroit, I think that is great and insightful for any kid that age.

Stromberg2

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, it's good that you are being creative and trying to communicate with people.

But may I suggest that you have a few people proof your videos for spelling before you post them? Both of them contain typos - "reguires" in #1 and "musuems" in #2.

People tend to take information more seriously if it is well composed.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8132
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French must have gone to the Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf school of video. :-)

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the videos. What's wrong with emphasizing the positive of Detroit? French, you should submit these to the Detroit Chamber of Commerce or Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Wow, the new Cass Tech looks like a hi-rise apartment building or something.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Detroit! Come visit us!

(Unless you live in Oakland and Macomb counties, then you can go f yourself)

garbage

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drankin, did you read the post where it mentions that he's 16? I would guess that constructive criticism would be welcome, but to call this young man's work garbage is just wrong.

French777

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the Comments

I don't really get Johnlodge's comment but.....

I am sick of these Snobs in Rochester Hills Bad Mouthing Detroit!

Oakland County needs help just as Detroit needs help!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8138
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry French. I pulled a Dennis Miller on you there with the far-reaching analogy. Saeed al-Sahaf was the Iraqi Minister of Information. During the invasion he would go on Iraqi TV telling the people how the Americans were dying by the thousands at the gates of Baghdad and victory was imminent. The beginning of your flick remind me of that sort of outrageous spin.

French777

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I get it now!

I love the METROPARKS but still Belle Isle is Free!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have some lovely images there. I get the comparative argument you are making in the first one. Not saying Oakland and Macomb are terrible, so much as saying Detroit has some pretty cool places that can stand up to Oakland and Macomb.

French777

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! There are parts of OC that I love! But Detroit has some very cool parts as well

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi French -- those were really great! I think you definitely have a great career ahead of you in either filmmaking or tourism (or both) -- your talent will open a lot of doors for you. I love the fact that you have so much Detroit pride. I think the first video did a great job of illustrating that there can be great things in Detroit, and at the same time there can be some not so great things in the suburbs as well -- there is good and bad everywhere. You're very talented and I always enjoy your videos. The music on both was great as well -- very energizing, makes you want to go right out and sight-see.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to be a smart ass but in the second video you need to re-spell Museum. You've got it musuem. Other than that the video is good and shows the positive aspect of Detroit. Now that I read your age you have a great career ahead of you if you chose to follow this direction. People with your pride in Detroit will take the next generation into the future.

French777

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aVkdbvty7h8

The Edited ONE ^^^

Jita1

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey French, what kind of editing software are you using for these vids?

French777

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought a MAC and it has IMOVIE on it but my Home HP has Window's Movie Maker on it

You Can download Window's Movie Maker for Free Online!

Disturbia - Windows

Techno - MAC

Jita1

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. I'm going to buy a MAC next year for music production. I think I have Movie Maker on my Windows computers. Thanks for the info.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oNM6HHJTUMM

thoughts????

French777

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is not Cont.. to Decay!

Its on the Rebound!

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i admire your passion for the city, but your whole "us vs them" attitude with the suburbs is unappealing, and honestly an absolutely huge problem for Detroit (and by Detroit, I refer to the entire region... and the fact I have to point that out shows how bad this city vs suburbs mentality has gotten)

French777

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No

Its to show those Oakland County people that Detroit is a wonderful place to Live,Work,Relax and to take a Vacation to!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8237
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, you don't need to make it appear Oakland County is nothing but foreclosures, and Macomb County is represented by E.Coli at the beach. Just show the good stuff about Detroit. If your goal is to get people to see the good parts of Detroit and open their minds to it, you don't want to start by alienating or offending them. You want to bring them in, make them comfortable about what they're going to see. If you want an opening that contrasts the city with those places, you could consider something like showing a series of pictures of different strip malls that all look the same while playing some boring music, then going into the Detroit part. It is unspecific, that could be any intersection in the country, but gets the point across without that possible alienation of a specific county full of people.

Just giving you my honest critique in hopes of helping you continue to improve your vids!

(Message edited by johnlodge on August 15, 2008)

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photography in the first one is much more clear and crisp. Looks like the weather was a bit bleak in the 2nd. Perhaps putting them to music by Detroit artists would be a nice touch.

I also don't agree with the Detroit being top rated schools (Cass is NOT representative of the majority of DPS, in facilities or students, and I doubt anyone from the suburbs would agree that DPS is top notch).

Overall, I enjoyed watching...

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody ought to learn how to spell Museums

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French, while city do you live in?

French777

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester Hills! Why u ask?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.