Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » I need some help. More Drama from the Eastside hood. » Archive through August 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, you seem to want to see the rock-throwing business as "kids being kids," but I have to tough-love ya by asking if, when these kids being kids are expressing their kidness by throwing rocks at property, do they throw rocks at other folks' houses, too?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or you could just throw rocks back. Once you catch one with a brick the rest might stay away! Of course, I'm kidding

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do get to talking with the kids and feel like you get them to agree on something (not throw rocks, not tear up the garden, etc), then offer up a handshake to finish the conversation. Hopefully it still holds true that when someone 'shakes on it', they stick to their word. Remind them that men and women of honor stick to their word after a handshake. It's a simple thing and it may not even hold water these days, but it might be worth a shot.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i just wrote a response and when I clicked submit I got the "simultaneous posting by another member post" AGGGGHHH! I will rewrite it later.

If you hit the back button on your browser, it should take you back to where you can just try again without losing your work.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throw rocks back at them or even better yet, at their house. :-)

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd find one of the Mothers of these kids who seems to give a shit (e.g. has a job, rounds up her kids at a certain hour for dinner, etc) and take her a small neighborhood gift and ask her what she thinks you should do about the kids. Doesn't matter if her kids are involved or not, a strong black woman wields power if she so desires in a neighborhood. I think being confrontational with any parents is a bad idea, I'd go about it as you just being someone who wants to live in peace and someone who will pick up the phone and call the cops when someone is breaking into a neighborhood house.

Do you know how to flirt with black women? If not learn and drop some charm on them. Seriously find a mother in the neighborhood who cares and she will help you fix your problem if you are sincere and sweet.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, i understand you're in a tough spot. Being friendly hasn't worked, and being a dick isn't in you're DNA. So, what to do.

The hotdog fest might help, with neighborhood fliers announcing your little mini block party; but another idea might be going to the local minister and asking him for help.

Explain your situation and bring up the story of Dr. Sweet. Tell the minister that you'd like him to come to your hotdog fest and while doing so ask him to address the issue. He may agree to speak to various adults privately or just give a prayer about tolerance.

If you don't want to do the hotdog fest due to the cost, maybe the minister will go door to door and directly speak to the neighbors.

Assuaging the ire of the locals is a long standing anthorpological study. The Peace Corp folks have devoted reams of research on the subject. It may seem strange but you might want to speak with the Peace Corp regional office in the McNamara Federal Building.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best ideas have to do with community spirit. There might not be much, but there has to be some. You are an outsider who needs to get inside. Start with the adults. Go talk to the neighbors about the block. Who lives there, what is the history, where is a good place to get whatever. Ask about their kids. Don't start right out with the rocks. After a little bit, you can say you need some advice about the windows. You'd like to put in windows but some of the kids seem to be having fun throwing rocks and you can't afford to put in windows to have them busted out again. Don't get real specific about who. See what the adults say. Reiterate your offer to show the kids how to fix up bikes if they buy the parts. This will show you are friendly, and help them get over some of the differences they are seeing in you.

Also, you can get plexiglass for the smaller windows. That will get you some light and some normal appearance. I can't imagine being inside with no windows. I'd go nuts.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 950
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DJ - you're a target. A white rabbit waiting to be skinned. Sounds like you've chosen a terrible location, and my prediction is that these "kids being kids" will pass along their impish ways to the younger ones... You're always going to be the object of scorn and MDP. Not so? Bull - parents, elders, other adults see what is happening and are either unwilling or unable to put a stop to the threats and stones.

You don't want to hear that moving on is the solution? Your choice, but I predict that for as long as you're posting here you'll be entertaining us with regular installments in your "guess what kind of shit happened today" saga.

Truly: dump that shack, shake the dust from your sandals, and find a Detroit neighborhood... not a 'hood hosting the junior division of the Lumpen proleteriate.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Threatening to call cops might be bad. It seems better to just call the police straight with no threat if that has to happen. But threatening it seems like you are taking sides with what may be seen as the "enemy" to the residents of your street.

Would you rather have a neighbor tell you that theyd like it if you cut your grass or fixed your windows, or would you prefer them threatening to call code inspectors or police, or would you prefer them going straight to calling police and inspectors ?

I would like the first option, even if its uncomfortable. When a neighbor goes straight to alerting authorities, it seems to be betraying the "neighborly bond" or whatever you want to call it. Community.

I also agree on the plexi and the glass/blight theory in the posted article. Extremely interesting psychological response that people have to blight, it seems to justify vandalism. It is a justification given by many graffiti people, "well the owner and the city neglect it already, so how can anyone complain about what I do".

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 786
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about waiting for the next hot day and supplying a couple boxes of water balloons for the neighborhood kids? Just leave them on the curb with a sign reading please throw these instead of the rocks!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOVE

Lombaowski

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, good idea Johnny.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, Wait, Wait!,...This stuff is hilarious...first off, a 'basic white' guy in a boarded up house being hassled, and heckled by the neighborhood 'juvenocracy'...Classic!, and to top it off, basic white people offering him advice about problem solving in the hood!....HILARIOUS!

Can't get much better than this...(this stuff is hilarious!)

Didn't I tell you a while back to get to know the neighborhood 'homies'!

blksoul_atcha!
Founding member of the BJL since O8'
Obama 08'

Lombaowski

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blksoul>Hi big guy

Seems like he knows his neighborhood has rock throwing kids. HTH.

Also what means "basic white people?" Are these white people you think might not know what is going on in the world, the Starbucks and glasses wearing type with cardigan sweaters? I'll hang up and listen.

(Message edited by lombaowski on August 12, 2008)

(Message edited by lombaowski on August 12, 2008)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7613
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

It was good for you that you have brought a boarded up house in a mostly black Detroit east side ghettohood. However be well aware that you will like some whites and any other ethnic folk who moved to a black community would recieve an "invicible welcome" Just a black folks recieve an "invicible welcome" a mostly white community. It's just the way it is. Some Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians and other want to keep their communities the way it is within their color and they would do anything to protect it by any means necessary.

Now you owned a Detroit home, first you need to do is fix it up like new and the neighborhoods will appreciate your hospitality. If you leave it as an exploited shack, your hospitality with black Detroiters will be rough and dangerous event.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like if people would raise their kids right, this discussion would not have started.

Evander
Username: Evander

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

step one: buy a set of outdoor speakers and hang them out of reach.

step two: buy a buck owens CD.

problem solved.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you should quit trying to work so hard on the relationships with the kids. They probably think you're a molester and the parents probably wonder too. You sound like the new kid at school that's trying way too hard to fit in. Just live your life and quit being the neighborhood Screetch. And leave the kids alone, go talk to some adults. Nobody throws rocks at their mom's friend's house without getting their ass whooped by their mom.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x,
Your "basic white guy" shit is wearing thin.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first house rental 21yrs, two small children. Neighborhood kids tried to break into my sunroom and steal my Rot. puppy. Well I went straight to the parents house and told the parents that they were to stay away from my house and if they were found shot in my yard I did it. I told this straight to there faces also. Needless to say me and the kids became fast friends and I was known as the young mother who took no stuff.

That was over 14 yrs ago.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm over in the east Mexicantown area. A couple months ago, a local trouble-maker (around 12 years old) threw a rock at my place and chipped the glass in the front door.

We told our landlord, and he said he knew who it was and he would "talk to his mother." Ever since then, we've had no problems with the kid.

Although another neighbor said he saw the kid with a brand-new pellet gun recently and that worries me. But like I said, he hasn't been a problem since his mom found out what he did.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D, you're the new guy in the 'hood. They should be making you feel welcome, not the other way around

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders and Grumpy have the best ideas. Seems like a reasonable thing to try. What about having bbqs with your DYES friends? Feed kids and neighbors who come by.

Plexiglass windows may be the way to go so your house looks lived in by you. The boarded up window look used by the previous owner may still bring negative reactions by the neighborhood.

Hope something will work out for you.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you're the only white guy in the neighborhood, and you replaced a white guy who was an asshole, then you are guilty by association. They probably think you're the same guy, or a relative. The first step to establishing peace would be to tell/show them that you aren't him.

Go out and make friends with your neighbors. You should know their names and they should know yours. You don't have to be bff with them, but at least offer them the same courtesy that you would a new co-worker.

After you introduce yourself to the neighbors, let them know that you're having a problem with kids throwing rocks at your house. Don't be confrontational. Don't come off as angry, or condescending, or accusing. You don't know which kid belongs to who, but you may find out that your neighbors are having problems with some of the kids too.

Then as soon as the rocks stop, please have windows installed. I'd be pissed at you for that if you were my neighbor.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much to respond to. I was afraid of this. Blksoul, do I seem like a basic white guy to you? what would be an out of the ordinary white guy be like? I actually thought of you when I started this thread and wondered what advice you might lay on me. I have gotten to know the homies as much as I can. Im glad to humor you though. If you have any more gems of wisdom let me know.

Spitty, Go look up the word idiot.

For the record everyone, I didnt search out this house, it came to me at a desperate time. Ive grown accustomed to it. This rock throwing thing is not that big of a deal. Im not cryin in my beer over it, its not unexpected that a white guy is havin trouble with kids in my neighborhood. Im just asking for some simple advice.

Mauser, your absolutely right, I shouldnt have mentioned the cops. I lost my cool at that moment and my mouth moved before my brain.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And one more thing, don't mention to them that you are the only white guy in the neighborhood. They can see that for themselves.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django- Have Cub come and talk to the kids!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 951
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Spitty, Go look up the word idiot.

I dunno... I too was wondering what these kids could be thinking when you approached them with the "give peace a chance" appeal. Bet you a buck that they took it either as the overture of a molester or as an admission of weakness. Neither is a good place to be.

Signs say that you're in the wrong 'hood, dude.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like an after-school special. It will not end until one of them falls off their bike in front of your house and you come out with band-aids and popsicles.

But really, ask yourself...WWSODD ?

(What would Sean_of_Detroit do ?)