Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Public Lighting Solution! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who have not seen this (I don't think it has been posted yet), Corktown will be getting nifty new LED street lamps in addition to those that exist. I really like this idea!

Excerpt from Model D:

"An innovative street light program has been implemented in North Corktown: LED lights just under 4 feet tall are being installed in front yards to provide additional street illumination. The lights are tied into the home's electricity -- which means they are not impacted when streetlights go out -- and will cost each homeowner less than $2 per year to operate."

Link: http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/ncorkLED15508.aspx

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13740
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could be solared for NO cost per year, but the white-blue they will probably emit is SO damned offensive to the human perceptual system, I certainly hope these DO NOT become ubiquitous.

They can be filtered by tinted lenses to be more agreeable...and bring down the intensity somewhat.

Best thing? With the proper design, they can be instantly turned into near-weapons with extremely rapid high-energy flashing to basically paralyze a perpetrator...or confound the heck out of a neighbor's offensive yapping doggy.

But I doubt they've gone this far...they didn't ask me first (while over-caffeinated, at least!).

I'd have said four feet was just high enough to seriously annoy dogs and children, but not blind the thieves unless they're crawling!

(although I'm assuming they only shine downward, but that would be too much to ask...what's the bet that they will add to our light pollution, obscuring the skies even MORE in the inner city?)

Security cameras will have KILLER feet shots for proper, um, tracking of any criminals!

Hey...you called this a 'solution', I'm just adding a few random thoughts to the mix...

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't a lot of neighborhoods already have small street lamps in their front yards?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, so you pay taxes for streetlights AND get to shell out to pay for your own streetlight. Gotta love Detroit...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4721
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, what's the point of having a Department of Public Lighting?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, because that $2 is a real kick in the ass. Having a lamppost in your front yard is no different from having a light on your front porch...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, jeez, Hud. It's the principle of the thing is all.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News flash, if you ask Detroit Edison or Consumers to put a decorative light in your front yard, they'll gladly do so and slap the cost to install it and the monthly operating costs onto your bill. What did I miss?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4851
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about they concentrate on solar powered LED streetlights instead? The solar panels and batteries could all be mounted near the lamphead so that scrappers wouldn't be such a problem.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have these in Ann Arbor. They are "dark sky friendly" meaning they actually darken the sky.

http://www.icmatv.com/?id=2&vid=149

(Message edited by SaintMe on August 13, 2008)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can adding a light actually darken the sky?? I can understand them being light pollution friendly, but actually darken the sky? I doubt it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6095
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they might darken the sky for astronomers who use the correct filters.

Does that make sense? By shifting the emissions to frequencies that can be filtered out, astronomers can work around the light pollution.

I have two light pollution filters. They screw into the back of a telescope's eyepiece.

(Message edited by jimaz on August 13, 2008)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great technology, but I agree with Gannon on this one. It would be nice if the lights were modified not to have that stale look. They are getting there though. I've seen LED's that cast off incandescent-like light.

Lilpup, there's a few test lights like what you are describing on U of M's north campus. I think they are strictly LED powered, but they require a 14 x 22 inch panel to power them. And that is just to power LED's. I wonder how big it would have to be to power a normal lamp. It may not be as bad as those 1960's cobra lights, but a smaller street lamp, it would be rather unattractive. But the technology is improving, so eventually.....

(Message edited by wolverine on August 13, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.