Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » I need some help. More Drama from the Eastside hood. » Archive through August 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOVE? LOL! That will NOT help.

My parents, although I do love them for being my parents, have always simply moved when they did not like the neighbors. The first move when we were young was from Detroit. A small apartment with violence and vandalism from the neighbor kids a common problem. Clearly, they did not want their kids growing up in that kind of environment, so they moved tooo.....

Westland. We had a nice little ranch in Westland. My Dad worked very hard in that low income neighborhood, and even built a garage and swimming pool (eventually) himself, in the backyard. But, the neighbor kids eventually started to become a problem. They would pick on my sisters, and defecate on our front lawn (yes you read that right). They also would break into our pool in the middle of the night after my Dad would super over chlorinate it. The next morning he would follow the wet foot prints all the way to the neighbors house (proof right?). When he would get there, and knock on the door. Despite the proof, the parents would cuss him out, and insist their kids would NEVER do anything like that. This was clearly not a good neighborhood to raise his kids in. So, we moved toooo......

Livonia. Not the best part of Livonia. It was a little lower income than the rest of the area, but my parents worked hard, and really fixed the house up, making it look pretty good. But we kept having problems with those dang neighbor kids. My sisters would get picked on, eventually me and my siblings made some friends... not the best of people. Would you believe it was just more of the same? Most of the kids ended up committing vandalism, having sex with each other in the parks, or doing drugs (I was the youngest, and did take not part in any of that... thank God). A couple of the people around me, were not so lucky though.

We moved a couple more times, usually around that same area though. I'll spare you the details. It was all typical white flight (although, apparently any other race can fly just as good) stuff. The point was, it didn't solve one problem that wasn't simply replaced by another. The same thing happened to a family I know now located in Novi, and another in South Lyon.

The grass only looks greener on the other side. But, the color is really all in your head. It's always the same dang colorblind, black and white cows eating it, and they will tell you it all is the same tasteless crud.

Just my two cents.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 12, 2008)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason why I asked specifically if your house still had boards over the windows is because it is evident your house (as far as being occupied) is out of place on the street.

I lived in a neighborhood with a few abandoned homes boarded up, but the neighborhood would be enraged if someone covered their windows up (and come to find out the house was OCCUPIED It didn't matter how nice the boards looked.

I know you've tried to get to know your neighbors, but the physical appearance of your house is still sending a message, and parents talk

The message carries to the kids and you become "that strange white guy with boards over the windows." Of course kids will toss rocks at your house, they are mocking you. This type of mischief is decades old.

I can agree with you that once you remove the boards, there may be a chance you will find broken glass when you get home, but I believe you wont. If you are worried, you can buy large thick sheets of plexiglas at any home improvement or hardware store. They aren't incredibly expensive, but will at least help your house appear more welcoming.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAA HAAA BWHAAAA I knew he'd have something to say.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I agree with those who talk about appearance, I think.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edit:

LOL! I just saw your first post... That was ironic!

Sorry, I thought your were just tryin' to be a donkey.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This sounds like an after-school special. It will not end until one of them falls off their bike in front of your house and you come out with band-aids and popsicles."

Sounds like the old pervert off Family Guy

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in a couple rundown neighborhoods in my time, but kids shitting on the lawn is new to me. Is that how they roll in Wasteland?

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Combine talking to a local minister and throwing a block party. Those were the two best pieces of advice given. Also if you have the time try selling candy, when i was growing up everybody loved the candy house.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

I must side with PGN here and Cub is the man that can solve your ills! Perhaps "we" should come over and help you take back what has been taken from you, mainly your piece of mind.

For those of you that don't know Django, he is by far no threat to the kids or his hood. All he wants to do is exist, and perhaps even live a little. I am astounded at the fucking ignorance I have read here, though, and some of the "advice" that has been given, from the ultra lilley white responses to the darkest of black responses from the master of the BJL bullshit-one of the reasons that this city is so very fucked up is that people like Black_hearted_soul_x "laugh" at situations like this instead of offering to help out.

My suggestion is that you need to do something to endear people of the WHOLE block to each other, not just you. The bbq idea is outstanding, and would work wonders for what you are trying to achieve. As for the windows, we have some thick plexi that I would be willing to part with, and I can cut it to any size you want. At 1" thick, even a brick would just bounce off, so they should get tired pretty quick of throwing at it since it won't budge.

As for moving, or being intimidated into fleeing, why should he? Whoever recommends that you flee when confronted with these situations is just a coward, afraid of trying any type of resolution at all, and incapable of any creative thought. Cub and his effort would have been a failure if he had that attitude, and now, after a few of us have helped him, he is paying that forward by helping others. This IS Django's house, and he should be able to live where he wants, without fear of retribution for being in the "wrong" neighborhood just for being in the minority.

Hang in there D, and if I can help, let me know. Maybe you should start with a rock sculpture and go from there, as people like your work and it may start a conversation that just leads to other things. Talking to the parents was also a very good suggestion, and may just make you a new friend or two.

As for the garden not working out, the Mrs. and I would be willing to try to give you a hand...it seemed to work at Cub's, so why not at your place.

Let me know!

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GTGKkmf874c

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whoever recommends that you flee when confronted with these situations is just a coward, afraid of trying any type of resolution at all, and incapable of any creative thought

If you've lived under the threat of constant violence in Detroit then you can say that. If not, then shut the fuck up.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, that was not meant to be a insult to the city or the suburbs. The point was that every neighborhood is going to have a couple bad eggs or nuts that you have to learn to live with.... because they exist everywhere (although I will admit, sometimes it can seem like some areas might have one or two more than most places).

How's that saying go? Something like; "nuts make the cookie more interesting"? Something like that...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'kids shitting on the lawn' even happens in Grosse Pointe Park! One of my most disgusting memories as a child was the little weirdo who lived in the funeral home on the corner of my street taking a crap on the side of my house. I also remember her being tricked into licking a peesicle. LOL

Plymouthres

Post Number: 844
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't know me at all, dude, so you shut the fuck up. I've lived in Detroit twice in my lifetime for more than five years each time, and had multiple problems both times. Both my grandparents lived in Detroit ALL 40 years of their lives, and I volunteer all of my spare tim,e helping kids down there, so take a seat and listen up, son.

I was also in law enforcement and worked for EMS for 18 months so now that you've been educated, you can kiss my ass.

You are an example of the type of person who speak before they think, making off the cuff comments about people you know nothing about, so give it a break.

Lastly, I was talking to Django, not you.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, it's sad because we're all here giving advice on what Django can do, but in honesty, it should be a two way street. The neighbors shouldn't judge him based on the color of his skin, yet I haven't seen the thread started on the neighbors complaning about what problems the 'white guy' is causing. I'm somewhat skeptical about the advice of befriending the neighbors, because the parents are probably the ones planting these seeds in the heads of the kids, because they had to have gotten the underlying feelings causing this from somewhere, and I'm really thinking 'Parents' would be the number one answer if this were a question on the Family Feud.

Fifty years ago, sad to say, this would have been the other way around. I'm sure that the first black families moving in to 'all white' neighborhoods got rocks thrown at their houses and much worse. If you look back, I think there would be very few arguments that those original black families should have or could have done anything different to make themselves more welcomed. They just weren't going to be, no matter what, which was wrong. The people throwing stones were wrong then and they're wrong now. And it just goes to show that we haven't learned a thing.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading in the Freep a few years ago about the "candy lady" in Pontiac. I don't remember if she sold candy or just gave it away to all the neighborhood kids but she was beloved. Either way, I'd caution against being the candy MAN of the neighborhood. No matter how good your intentions, there's a definite yuck factor there. People are going to think pervert, it's just the way the world is today. Classic tactic they use to lure children.

So ... hotdogs, cool. Candy, no way.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthers,

you rock! LOL!

I always assumed you did live in Detroit. You help out so much...

Craig

Post Number: 955
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read carefully, Plymouth: I said "if you've lived in...Detroit..." but even with your explanation I'm not certain that I respect your opinion. Sounds as though you can fade in and out, making Detroit more of a past-time than a place where you have to make your home.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said that I've lived, worked and volunteer ALL of my spare time there, how is that "fading" in and out? You don't make much sense, so when you can offer something better than that assumption, then I'll listen.

IF you read anything about me here, you would know better than to make such cavalier statements about people who clearly put their time where their mouth is.

Now, what are you going to do to help Django out with his problem?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so Craig,Your speculating which may make you feel a little low in the near future.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, now I'm confused. Plymouthres, are you in Plymouth? Craig, I thought that was okay? Plymouth is a small town, not a suburb. I thought only suburbs were bad. Ann Arbor and Pontiac are their own thing, so they're good, right? Novi, Canton, Garden City, those are all suburbs, along with Southfield and majority of Oakland County, right? What about Farmington? That was a small town, but is now in the suburbs? Hmmmm... Livonia DID have a population of a couple thousand before it was a suburb. So is it okay or not? No, it's a suburb... well, maybe only 2,000 of it's residents are in the clear?

Wow, we're way off topic, and I'm getting a head ache. I'll go take a couple pain killers and keep acting like the equator exists.

Do they fight like this over on the Atlanta Boards?

Edit Spelling

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the e-thuggin on Dyes.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooops too late.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 847
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Sean, I live in Plymouth, but I spend a majority of my free time in Detroit, and, if you read what I posted, I have lived in Detroit twice, each for five year periods, and my grandparents lived in Delray and SW Detroit respectively. I spent a vast majority of my life living at their houses, and to top it off, I worked there(directly for the City, once for DFD/EMS for 18 months and as a reserve cop in the 15th for two additional years). I now spend my Saturdays at Fort Wayne and Cubs Garden, and both are enjoyable to me and my wife.

By the way, this ain't fighting, this is clarifying........

Now, to get back on topic here, how are we going to help Django's situation? WE can all do something together, as it appears that he is at wits end.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my plexiglas over the windows advice I think got lost in there somewhere. I hope he finds it helpful.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 848
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine gets the credit for the plexiglass theory and suggestion, but the stuff that I've seen is mucho dinaro! The offer still stands, if you want it D.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, Find out where the kids who are throwing the rocks live. Talk reasonably but firmly with the parents or parent of the kids that you want to live in peace in the neighborhood but that you can no longer tolerate being targeted by their children. Did you ever think the children are only acting out what they're hearing their parents/adults in their house say? Tell them that from now on whatever happens to your house happens to their house. Where's Rodney King's message when you need it. "Can't we ALL just get along?"

Craig

Post Number: 956
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Sean - you're making me dizzy with all that; seriously, I cannot make that out)

Plymouth - My advice to DJ was to cut his loses and get out. There's no reasoning with some people, and based upon the evidence shared in DY threads I'll bet that short of a daily DJ-minstrel show he will forever be persecuted.

Your categorization of "move" proponents as cowards is patently unfair to one such as myself: a survivor of hard-fought neighborhood wars. Detroit taught me when to talk and when to fight.

DJ is your face-to-face pal. If he were mine I'd find him a neighborhood, load his crap into a truck and then tell him he can either get on the truck or get kicked in the balls and then get on the truck. Man, Michigan and Livernois does not sound half as bad as his current cabin in the sky.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: Tell them that from now on whatever happens to your house happens to their house. Where's Rodney King's message when you need it. "Can't we ALL just get along?"

Hmmm...an eye for an eye followed immediately by "can't we all just get along?" How about if we leave out the eye for an eye part, since your statement is completely contradictory, and an eye for an eye never solves anything.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is only one way to get respect in this city Django. Next time it happens grab some old rags, some liquor bottles, and a lighter and show those neighbors whose boss!

After the houses are burnt to the ground, buy up the land and start your own empire.

That will communicate to people not to throw rocks at your house fo sho.

My honest two cents would be to just keep it real and persevere. The neighborhood will come along eventually it just takes time.