Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Even dead people are leaving Detroit! » Archive through August 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 847
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like a waste of money to me.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080812/METRO 08/808120367

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 949
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upkeep seems to be a problem and reason enough to move the dead. Not cited in the article are issues of grieving families being mugged when visiting a cemetery (has happened at Grandlawn) and vandalism of graves.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great grandparents are at Forest Lawn and my Mom talked about this possibility and I said no. I don't think they would have wanted to be moved and we are a superstitious family. Plus I like going there to visit while I'm home and I go more than my Mom does and I live 4000 miles away.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family chose to move my uncle from Forest Lawn to Resurrection. It got really dangerous for my grandmother and my aunt to visit. A shame really, but I understand their point. A few thousand dollars assures the safety of my family.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like doing just the opposite. My father was buried several years ago, at the recommendation of the funeral home, at Resurrection in Macomb County. My family seemed indifferent about the location so there he lies. He lived his entire adult life on the east side, his friends were on the east side, and most of his business was conducted on the east side. I know he would have felt at home being interred at Mount Elliot or Forest Lawn. Now his friends are all dead or too feeble to visit any cemetery, and the few family members still in the area don't feel the need to visit or if they did, would not have a problem with an "inner city" cemetery.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet another blow to the city/suburb divide. :-(

BTW, when the city does breathe its final breath, even the dead won't be around.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 12, 2008)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ This doesn't have to do with city/suburb divide.

If I buried my family out in the middle of countryside and it suddenly became surrounded expressways, big box stores, and parking lots, I'd want them moved. It's about choosing an appropriate location. In Detroit's case, it's about safety of those visiting.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5249
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no reason you couldn't be mugged at a cemetery north of 8-mile, though. To make these considerations with such a low-chance event in mind seems a bit much.

Wolverine

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can agree with that. The same can be said about scrapping. But many consider what their loved ones would have wanted. If it gives them peace of mind, I have no problem.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine, are you serious?

These people are dead. You chose to bury them there so let your love ones rest in peace.

I'm sure if whoever was being moved were alive to see what their children are doing with their bodies, they'd kick some ass.

Wolverine

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'd think they'd want what is best for the safety of their family.

All of this is a matter of opinion. What I am trying to say is there is nothing wrong with the people who WANT to move their family's dead bodies. If anyone thinks this is all wrong, well then let your own family know that when you die, your grave will be there to stay. How do you know everyone shares your same interests?

There are actually plenty of people out there who want to eventually be buried in cemeteries in safe areas so that their family can feel comfortable visiting.

(Message edited by wolverine on August 12, 2008)

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "There's no reason you couldn't be mugged at a cemetery north of 8-mile, though."

Gee, other than that crime is considerably higher in every category in the city of Detroit. Are you really this oblivious?

Some of the cemeteries in town have signs warning visitors not to get out of their cars and to keep their doors locked. There must be some reason they went through the trouble to make those signs.

(Message edited by hockey_player on August 12, 2008)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't decide everyone's opinion.

However, the person was buried there for a reason. Either them or a loved one wanted their bodies to stay there, and the people moving them for "safety reasons" aren't respecting that.

If that person or a loved one wanted it out in a "safe farmtown", then I'm sure they would have done so at the time.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the family took advantage of the opportunity to prop the top up and say good-bye to Grandma one more time.

Wow. I certainly hope that my family would not want to dig me up 30 years later. Just seems disrespectful to the dead

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and the 2 quote sure do make it a city/suburb issue.

-"People have to drive to a place that may take them through neighborhoods they otherwise may never go,"

-"People have grown older and they simply don't or can't drive to the city anymore. They want to be near to those they love."

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although Mt. Olivet is a beautiful cemetary, I would love to move my parents. I'm sure it may have been safer 30 years ago and I don't have a problem driving there now but what's going to happen in another 5, 10 or 20 years. We went there recently and they only had the VanDyke entrance open. Talked to one of the ground keepers and confirmed my suspicions. People getting mugged. It's always happened, I'm sure, but I wouuldn't go alone anymore. I guess your not safe anywhere whether it be in a city or a suburban area.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents are in Mt.Olivet and my Dad use to visit his father's grave on his own birthday every year because my grandfather died on Dad's 10th birthday. At 87 and no longer driving, though, I don't think Dad's doing the trip much any more.

Before my Mom died, we asked what should be done with their remains. Dad's got a GREAT sense of humor and said that they should both be creamed and put in the same box and shaken REAL well so they'll always be together. I thought this was a great idea and we don't have to worry about going to a cemetary to "visit" them.

Ltd
Username: Ltd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a poor relationship with my step-sister. I'd like to dig her up from an idyllic suburban cemetary and transplant her to a rundown detroit cemetary.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11993
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just shows a trend of the baby boomer generation feeling the need to make everything convenient for them. Just a continuation of the most self absorbed generation in history.

Who would think "My parents chose to be buried there but it is too fr to drive"

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4416
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Although Mt. Olivet is a beautiful cemetary, I would love to move my parents. I'm sure it may have been safer 30 years ago and I don't have a problem driving there now but what's going to happen in another 5, 10 or 20 years. We went there recently and they only had the VanDyke entrance open. Talked to one of the ground keepers and confirmed my suspicions. People getting mugged

My step dad died this May and is now at Mt. Olivet. My parents never had any problems when visiting other relatives there and buying their own plots. Nothing out of the ordinary was going on when were there for the funeral.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure that everyone who planned their final rest figured no one would come to visit the grave or pray for them. To Catholics, prayers get the deceased some [consideration] for thier past sins.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam - you didn't finish my quote..."i guess your not safe anywhere whether it be in the city or a suburban area"

My dad was buried there 35 years ago and mom, 5 years ago. I never had any problems either but like I said, I wouldn't go alone.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Second, families have left the city and they want to bring their family members closer to them," Lynch said. "People have grown older and they simply don't or can't drive to the city anymore. They want to be near to those they love."

Just bury them in the backyard. If you move, just move grandma with you.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to all the major cemeteries in Detroit except for one, which I plan to hit this Fall. If you look at your ancestor's grave, turn around and look at those in the same section. You are looking at your ancestors neighbors, business owners and those who built the area of Detroit they resided in. I think the bodies need to stay right where they are. You're removing a part of history; a neighborhood.

For example, Mt. Olivet. Section 33. Poletown. These are my ancestor's neighbors and can all be tracked as living in Poletown through the census. The original occupants of Poletown. Section 11; Delray. Mixed ethnicities (which Delray was). Greeks, Armenians, Mexicans, Hungarians, Italains. They're not all in Holy Cross - they're in Mt. Olivet. Mt. Elliot; The First Detroiters.

So far, I've had no problems in any cemetery in Detroit I've visited and I'm a small woman. I can tell you that I have ancestors buried in Mt. Moriah in Philadelphia (mountmoriahcemetery.org) and that place is hell on earth! There you would actually have to carry a baseball bat, a tire iron, a gun, bring a big male friend and have an attitude. It is a huge cemetery that has gone to hell and was the original burial spot of Betsey Ross. If you want to know who's buried in your family plot it will cost you $25!

Detroit's cemeteries are nothing to fear. I've taken my children and have yet to have a problem. I've watched Van Dyke change from the 1970's through the 1990's. If you can't recall what the road looked like back then, it was terrible. It's improved drastically. Forest Lawn's groundskeepers have been nothing but helpful and always keep a watch out when I'm there. They've even helped dig up a stone in 98 degree temperature and I had to ask them to quit. It was just too hot and I felt that the ancestor had returned to nature and let it go.

Zero problems in Detroit. Major headaches in Philadelphia!

Wolverine

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand your point in that these people grew up in the city, and spent there entire life there. But we don't really know for sure what types of decisions were made prior to their death.

I know plenty of people who always say "I would like to be buried close to my children." I also know people who say, "I would like to be buried in ___ city when I die." If family members are going against grandmother's wish to be buried in Detroit, then shame on them. But there are plenty of people open to this idea of being moved to location where their children would be comfortable visiting. Whether or not they feel safe is not for us to decide. And it's not like this whole cemetery is emptying out. I'm sure family members have very specific reasons. Our own personal beliefs on this board are irrelevant to the decisions they've made.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago I was in the neighborhood on a Sunday and I hadn't been to Mt. Olivet for several years. In the past I was able to find my family just by cruising the general area, but I was going up and down and around the sections with no luck.
An older lady visiting there finally asked what I was up to, and even showed me in a friendly way that she was armed. I don't blame her one bit.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The line I found most interesting in the article:

"As for the Imbrunones, their family took the headstones with them and the cost of the old plot was applied toward the new plot. "

I didn't know cemetaries had a return policy.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11996
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is funny
quote:

I pray the car doesn't break down. I cringe when I drive down Gratiot.

Ooohhh, that whole scary stretch of less than 1 mile in the city along Gratiot.

I also liked this

quote:

I'm worried for my life. There's a lot of bad people in Detroit.

Then he had his 'oh shit, that cuold I sound more sterotypical' moment and then followed it up with:

quote:

But to tell you the truth, there's a lot of bad people out here. But at least we're closer this way."

Nice cover up.

Gratiot from 8-7 is just soooooooo terrifying.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5250
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey_player, I'm sure the per capita rate of muggings in Detroit cemeteries is on par with that of non-Detroit. That is to say, they happen once in a blue moon and are negligible in most places. Only the sickest person would prey on mourning people, and those sick people are scattered everywhere. If anyone can get us some DPD/FBI statistics on crime in cemeteries, that would be most helpful, but my guess is that they don't keep that stat for a reason.

I like Jt1's take on it, and it is just so demonstrative of people's hypersensitivity to everything, and their exaggerated perceptions of threat. If they are willing to take matters into their own hands and uproot history (as Mashugruskie describes) to serve their interests and sense of security, then fine. You're not going to be able to persuade that sort of person to do otherwise.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so hilarious when people worry about where their car breaks down. The only times in my life I have been helped with a broken down car is in the city. In the suburbs, I've had to make a phone call.

How often do most people visit the cemetery? I visit Granny and Granddaddy on birthdays, Memorial Day, Mothers'/Fathers' Day and maybe one other time a year. Am I being neglectful or should I move them closer to me?