Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » New Bridge Picture? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has this been posted?

Link: http://www.rootforce.org/2008/06/19/canada-picks-site-for-new-windsor-border-bridge/

New Bridge

Is that what it will look like?

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh...I hope it doesn't look like that!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Egads! That thing is fugly!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6094
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty radical website. They seem to be against international bridges. It looks like a photo of some other existing bridge.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A search of the I-5 bridge (which comes up if you scroll over the picture) shows it to be an OLD pair of bridges between Portland and Vancouver.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew, thank you!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the story on that bridge:

http://www.columbiarivercrossi ng.org/Background/AboutTheBrid ge.aspx

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the guillotines!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6201
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean of detroit,

Are you being serious, or facetious? Either way, no, that is not what the bridge will look like. It's certain that the public-owned/operated bridge will have to have a higher clearance than the one pictured. It will only have a pier or two, and will be either suspension or cable-stayed.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, last time I looked, Windsor hadn't grown mountains

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be surprised if that public bridge gets built anytime soon anyway. Nobody here seems to be too keen on spending the $2-3 billion it's going to cost on this side, including a another massive tearing up of I-75 about a mile south of the current Gateway Project. And then there's the fact that the preferred location for the US plaza will involve pretty much erasing Delray.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3276
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like a Mississippi showboat convention

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And then there's the fact that the preferred location for the US plaza will involve pretty much erasing Delray.

I hate to say it and I know I will draw the ire of several on here but, so. I'm sorry Delray is not exactly the poster child for safety and is kind of a dump. Not many architecturally significant buildings that are worth saving.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And, last time I looked, Windsor hadn't grown mountains."

That's the Detroit side. Mt. Elliott.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mountains?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.