Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Are around St Cyril, Marjorie, Guthrie, Winfield, and Sheehan streets « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://tinyurl.com/55prua

From Google Maps there. These streets intrigued me. Almost all the houses are gone. It looks like Guthrie, Marjorie, and Sheehan streets are cut off. Guthrie and Marjorie streets east of St. Cyril aren't as empty.

Did the neighborhood get really dangerous and the city purposefully cleared it, or did it just complete empty out on its own?

I assume they were once residential streets because there are still a couple houses standing, though I would assume empty, and you can vaguely see the gravel streets behind where the houses were (in between the paved streets). The sidewalks are also still there.

Just curious. Thanks.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, this Live View shot (late 2005, early 2006?) shows a few more houses there.
http://tinyurl.com/5ap4py
And the roads don't appear to have been blocked then.

Helen, Carrie, Winfield, Roland, Marcus, Concord, and Sherwood to the south are all empty, too. And the streets are blocked.

Were the purposefully cleared?

Thanks for any info.

(Message edited by leannam1989 on August 13, 2008)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7628
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of those streets are now deemed to be an urban praries. It's nothing but trees, grass, flowers and birds. Nature is fixing man's mistakes by building a forest for her animals. That area is also reserved for future brownfield development. Giver it about after 2015 ans we will have some homes for the Yemeni/ East Indian/Bengali folks who live on the other side of the Detroit/ Hamtramck border.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7629
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leannam1989

"Did the neighborhood get really dangerous and the city purposefully cleared it, or did it just complete empty out on its own?"

Here's your answer:

That Northeast Detroit ghettohood was once a paradise. Fill with cookie cutter woodframe Hamtramckesque bungalows and family flats for single families who worked in factories next door. It's was mostly Polish back then. Later in the 1960s, black folks moved in, blockbusting and urban disinvestment was in full swing, Polish whites quickly moved out to City of Warren and retreated to Hamtramck, low income black folks also quickly move in, can't take care of the houses. Later in 1970s to the 1980s the ghettohood is almost gone. House fires, arsonists, crackheads, drug pushers and gang turfs wars destroy what's left of the area and " VOILA!" a black and blighted urban prarie was created allowing nature to reclaim the area and make it into a new forest and set aside for future brownfield development.

Word from the Street Prophet

"All of Detroit is a ghetto, and the people are a part of it." THE GHETTOMAN

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they were residential streets. I had an aunt and uncle that lived on Sheehan. I was just speaking with my cousin last night and she was telling me she drove by there several years ago and the old homestead was gone.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Depowerment Zone absorbed the few homes that were occupied on those streets. There has been only one business that was constructed on the Depowerment site. Somebody told me that it is a trucking company owned by the same guy that owns the old train station. Its painfully clear that there aren't many businesses ,even with the massive tax breaks , that are willing to locate their operation in the DMZ.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a thread in the Hall of Fame section, about the demise of St Cyril:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/9493.html?114826845 0

There's also some photos in the Ruins tour section of this website.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neighborhood was good until rumors of industrial/warehouse development surfaced. Then all hell broke loose with arson. Rumors were confirmed, and even more hell broke loose.

I believe this period occurred 1990-2000. I'll find out for sure from a reliable source.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 718
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is true 7051. But more like 1998 -2003.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.