Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Anyone here driving/attending the Dream Cruise? » Archive through August 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to friends and family in the area a lot of locals really don't like the traffic headaches, restaurant waits, and a few other things that go along with the Dream Cruise. I rode shotgun in a friend's 32 Ford sedan last year and there were way too many late model cars and $500 junkers with $4,000 wheels. However, I've been driving my 31 model A Since I finished it in March and I think I'm going to come down Friday afternoon just to cruise for a while. Anyone else have an old car they're bringing out or just going to sit on Woodward and watch?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dream cruise is my husband's high holy day. He will be there watching, but we don't own a car to drive. I would be there too, but he likes to walk up and down Woodward and I'm not able to do that anymore. So I leave him to enjoy his world of shiny engines and burnouts. :-)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go before noon.The later in the day you go,the worse the traffic is and the more kids are out in non-collectibles with loud radios.Last year it was unbearable after 7 pm and I left, a decision based largely due to the drunk passenger of a beaten-up early 90's Olds I couldn't escape who kept harrassing me to race him for a pink slip. He just got on my nerves.
But yes, starting Wednesday Ill be living out there.This will be my 4th WDC with the '74 Gremlin I have become known for and associated with.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we have a display parking spot on Old Woodward someplace, and we are going to walk around up there and sit and watch. It really is a special event for my husband, as well, and I am sure he will want to cruise up and down at least once and hang out at what he considers the epicenter, 13 and Woodward. I like Nine Mile in Ferndale, too. The trouble with driving on Woodward is the gridlock, it's hard on the elder cooling systems. Early is better, before 10 or 11 in the morning.

Precruise traffic seems lighter than in the past couple of years.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill be out there all week. Went last Sat and on Friday. last Saturday was awesome, cars everywhere.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe,

The epicenter will be gone in a year or two. I have a lot of great memories of that corner going back to the mid sixties.

quote:

When the Woodward Dream Cruise organizers show glitzy cars Thursday in a Royal Oak parking lot at their annual pre-cruise event for the news media, it could be one of their last opportunities to use the central location.

The site is the so-called epicenter of the Dream Cruise -- a parking lot that fronts Northwood Shopping Center at 13 Mile.

But the center, which the rest of the year draws crowds of shoppers and restaurant patrons, will be swallowed up within two years by Beaumont Hospital, its owner, said Dream Cruise board member Jean Chamberlain of Royal Oak.

Northwood - No more.

Bcscott

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a younger guy, (31) so I wasn't around in Woodward's heyday but I hang out with a few old timers who really enjoy reliving the past. If I can get them to tag along I'd like to spend some time down there Friday. I went down there last year with the above mentioned old guys on Thursday and it was getting packed around 2:30 in the afternoon. I drove my Model A for the first time in the basement of COBO hall during Autorama earlier this year and I've been working the bugs out of it since, and it doesn't like sitting in traffic too long. Guess we'll try and get there early.

Bcscott

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a shot of my car down in West Virginia in June. Its lound and obnoxious, and I love it.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice old school rod, there Bc. Chopped, channeled, and leaded I hope.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does Beaumont deal with the Dream Cruise? Anyone know? It seems like it would pretty difficult to get an emergency vehicle through all of that.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there, we'll probably ride bikes or walk there as 9/Woodward is just up the road. Last year we went around 5 and had no trouble finding a close parking space

Bcscott

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bigb23 it's my first attempt at a hot rod. Chopped 6" Channeled 6" the whole car is a grand total of 46" tall at it's highest point. Plus the engine is a nasty small block out of my circle track car. Sorry, no lead but there's not much filler either,everything rusty was replaced and its all steel. There's something special about Woodward and all it's history. I'd just like to say I cruised it in a car I built.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 531
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How does Beaumont deal with the Dream Cruise? Anyone know? It seems like it would pretty difficult to get an emergency vehicle through all of that."
]
]
The rigs drive over the curbs and pass on the island (median) which is otherwise reserved for police vehicles

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not gonna make it this year after all..my big-block Diplomat wagon's engine was stolen (along with the van it was sitting in) about a month ago..I thought maybe I'd be able to throw together a 383 backup engine in time, but there's just too much going on.
Beautiful ride Bc! If I do manage to get down as a spectator, I'll keep an eye out for it..

Bigb23

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there in Mustang Alley (Ford Mustangs on 9 Mile in Ferndale)

They are supposedly going to have at least one of every year.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We live near 13 Mile and Woodward, and I love, love, love the Dream Cruise. We've attended all but one Cruise since its inception. I've been out and about walking Woodward several evenings in the last two weeks to check out the classic cars and people that gather. The number of cars and people will increase every day leading up to Saturday, so it is a lot of fun to take in some of these pre-Cruise gatherings. Check out Northwood Center on Wednesday and Thursday evenings for sure! I'm taking Friday off work to watch the preparations and to get down to Ferndale for the day before spending the evening in Berkley for the Parade (starts at 6:30) and music afterwards. On Cruise day, we are out on the road early, around 8am, with our non-classic car to drive the route south down to the State Fair Grounds and then north out to Wide Track Drive and back home. Takes a couple hours with 1 or 2 stops along the way, but it is a lot of fun! Then we hit the pavement, usually walking from 13 up to Maple and back. Can't wait!! Everybody enjoy!!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen-Stop by the parking lot,behind the fire station,at Woodward and 13 mile.I will have one of my classic cars there ,we will be there on Saturday

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will not be attending as Flint has its own car event the same weekend. The fourth annual "Back to the Bricks" rolling cruise and car show. It gets kicked off on Wednesday with a cruise from Groveland Township to Downtown Flint. and gos through Saturday when they close off Several streets downtown for a car show. They are expecting double the cars that they had last year (3-4,000 expected).

quote:

Some of those who will be joining the cruise are people frustrated by the enormous number of people (and, of course, cars) in the Woodward Dream Cruise, held the same weekend.

"I love the Dream Cruise, but it's just getting very congested," Hobson said. "People end up overheating because it's so much stop-and-go."

As for the event as a whole, Back to the Bricks officials expect to double last year's crowd.

Sure, its numbers don't approach the million or so along the Dream Cruise route -- but that's sort of the point.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjour nal/business/index.ssf/2008/08 /back_to_the_bricks_organizers .html

http://www.backtothebricks.org /

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super nice car BCSCOTT.
The Cruise is Detroit Area's answer to The Mardi Gras. Hey its only for that day, but The cruising has been going on on Woodward since April this year and it will probably go on till it friggin snows outside. This is "The Motor City". We are famous for cruising Woodward , and this is what is left of the legacy. Enjoy it. We don't have many other positive things we can be proud of. For all that many people and cars to come together and not have any major problems is quite an accomplishment I think.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll look for you, Pgn421.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there! It's the one day of the year i can tolerate cars on the road. :-)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's the one day of the year i can tolerate cars on the road.

Would you rather them be on the sidewalk?

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you just enjoy watching the cars roll by at 2 mph,stay in R.O. or B'ham.If you want to see cars blast by at 45-50 mph.,"find a spot" around Long Lake Rd.Anywhere from here north to Pontiac is where the cars can be seen and heard.Pontiac cops,all 4 of them, are much more easy going when it comes to burnouts!Our Oldsmobile club is at the Charter One Bank on the s.e. corner of Long Lake and Woodward,stop by and say hi.If you tell me who you are,and mention this great web site I'll load you up in the red 1967 442 and take you for a lap ,my gas, no charge,my pleasure!This goes for anyone else who stops by...
Alan

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watch every year in Pontiac, usually near St. Joseph Mercy Hospital; this year I may also be making a stop in Berkley. I think the key to enjoying it for me is that I always take a back way into my viewing spots, and never deal with very much traffic.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aww, Bigb23, is that a pic of you on a date?

(Message edited by Lnfant on August 11, 2008)

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckycar has the spirit. Sharing the fun with everyone. Bravo for your generosity

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to enjoy viewing from the SMART shuttle bus, but sadly that will not be running this year. Several months of $4.50+ diesel appear to have caught up with SMART>

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I accidentally drove into the middle of it and wanted to start crying. My eyes were watering from all the burning rubber, and there were freakin' flames shooting out of the tailpipes of the car in front of my. Thought my car was going to catch fire. All that happened was I wanted to go to the midnight movie at the Main and got trapped. Jesus, it was horrible.

Funny, though, somebody correctly called out my car at the time: A Chevy Citation II. Perhaps they thought I was an enthusiast, but it was all the car I could afford at the time. :-)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes, until the fumes get to me, I ride a bike up and down to certain hot spots...you have to walk the bike at times, through a crowd, but you can snake in and out via the back streets.