Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Rhino in Harmonie Park Closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crment
Username: Crment

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by today and the place is empty.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww, really? I had my wedding reception there when it was under different management. I think that was two owners ago. The food there was phenomenal and overlooked, IMO.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Empty as in nothing inside? They've changed owners and the only way to tell if it is closed is to go by there tonight. They normally don't open until after 4PM. They have an event scheduled tonight. If you drive by you won't see much on the "restaurant" side since they use that for the DJ and dancing etc.

Crment
Username: Crment

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing inside.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In related news, the Belmont in Hamtramck has new bar stools! ;)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

|quote{Rhino in Harmonie Park Closed}

Don't you mean "Paradise Valley Entertainment District" a.k.a. Africatown? Didn't you get BR Collins' press release? The Harmonie Park moniker was a vestige of the slavemaster patriarchy.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes...that's certainly helping business in the area....

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Kwame's fault.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got off the phone with a promoter I work with and he said they are closed but he didn't know why.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

other related/unrelated news. Jacoby's is under new management, and seems to be getting back on track again. The book shelf is back and food was reminiscent of a few years ago before the joint was sold. service improved as well. Although they are still keeping up with their trademark: always out of at least 3 beers on tap.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Harmonie Pa — er, Paradise Valley Entertainment District the other day, recalling fond memories of working at Intermezzo and Centre Street Pub when it first opened and was actually a cool place. Then I thought about how stupid it is that they are renaming the neighborhood and how it will likely have no effect on the place's fortunes.

Honestly I can't figure out why that place hasn't taken off.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the current big deal about naming the area Harmonie Park? I think it sounds kind of trendy.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It already is HP, because of the music/theater district area.
Some folks and council members want an African town, like Greektown etc. Problem is investors willing to take a gamble.

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leave it Harmonie Park IMHO. Harmonie is a great word and less daunting than "Paradise Valley" or whatever. How about opening Centre Street again or whatever it's called now. Or is it open? Sometimes bars are open and sometimes they're closed. No rhyme or reason...

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 863
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paradise Valley sounds like a retirement home or a funeral home.

Melody

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners were evicted, sadly. I think there is more behind this and once they are ready to talk you'll hear more about it.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owed on water, rent, electric bills, etc. He tried to sell it for a few years now, business was so so but expenses are high. There are a few other restaurant / clubs on hanging on the verge also.

Melody

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2 how do you know? Who's he? Just wondering. Several people own the Rhino.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of the owners look like City Council?

If not, then perhaps that explains how they wouldnt fit into PVED/AT.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not it East_D

Lefty2

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone who knows someone.
- Detroit’s Downtown Development Authority on Thursday 07_24 approved a $968,000 contract with Detroit-based Caasti Contracting Services Inc. for improvements in the Paradise Valley Cultural and Entertainment District, also known as Harmonie Park.
Kresge Foundation,to back the project with a $600,000 grant.
Look at this Crain's article people.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080810/SUB/774764465
or this rendering pdf.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a ssets/PDF/CD51300724.PDF
It is the DDA's attempt to redevelop the area.

They need to upgrade the area in order for business people to invest big bucks I guess.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given KK's propensity to get his friends involved in city developments, is it possible that the owners were evicted so that a Kwame friend like Art Blackwell (who owns Arturro's in Southfield) can open up a downtown club? Very interesting how the Rhino closes right around the time Paradise Valley breaks ground.

I know I'm being anti-Kilpatrick, but given his track record involving friends and family (Bobby Ferguson), I can't help but be suspicious. Can't wait to see who takes over the property from the city, and to see if the new owners have some close ties to the mayor.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the links, Lefty!

Regardless of the whole "African Town" controversy, you'd have to be a moron to not support this plan. There's a ton of proposed infill, and not a single parking structure planned! However, I doubt the whole plan will take shape.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go with the parking again. We wouldn't want people to walk one block from the Opera House now would we?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the plans. Rjlj, I would like to know where the visitors staying at the Hilton Garden Inn are going to park their cars if no new parking structures are planned for this development? A multi-story parking structure next to the Hilton and behind the Music Hall is definitely needed for both venues. Ground floor retail could be put in this structure but personally I don't think it's needed. There are enough vacant buildings on the eastside of Brush Street that having more space for retail would be counterproductive.

The plans also talk about ground floor retail along Randolph with apartments above. Personally, some sweet Brownstones/townhomes would be what I would like to see along that stretch of the Paradise Valley development. There's already enough vacant space in the area to house more retail( old Dell Pryor gallery and ground floor of Opera House parking garage. Also, the Rhino and the temporary art gallery next to Lola's).

One area in the plans that I will be amazed to see converted to anything more than the parking lot that it is, is the Madison-Lenox surface parking lot. I just can't see Mike Illitch given this land up to the city. The revenue for mostly Tigers parking will be something I see Illitch not willing to give up any time soon.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Paradise Valley sounds like a retirement home or a funeral home."

Funny that you mention that, as the retirement village in Brush Park actually is called "Brush Park Manor Paradise Valley."

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce - that's what, five, retail spaces?

There should be the garages built because people don't like to walk - and there needs to be much more there to create a true destination.

If one is going to go through the trouble of creating this, do it right. It's pathetic that downtown Royal Oak has much more retail density than almost the entire CBD of Detroit except for one block of Greektown. Time for Detroit to catch up, and do the spirit of the development proud.

If they keep the rents reasonable, the spaces will fill.

Oh, and there should be 2-3 hours of free parking, or this isn't going to work. I want mass transit as much as the next guy, but this is a car-centric town, and you must accommodate for it if you want the retail business.

I know quite a few people who've come downtown to shop once - but didn't again because they won't pay $8 -$20 for parking. And you can't expect newbies to know what garages get validation where and how to work the system. That's too much of a barrier to entry.

(Message edited by digitalvision on August 18, 2008)

(Message edited by digitalvision on August 18, 2008)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision, you hit the mackerel on the head. I can remember when you could get multiple tickets for parking downtown when there was no other cars in sight for blocks. Pete Waldmeier used to harangue the DPD and parking enforcement for their rush hour ticket 'sweeps'. His point, which was absolutely correct, was: 'where's the rush hour?' For all of his crankiness, he was right on. 1KD

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 975
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the Jacoby's thread-jack: after-meeting agency-bender there this afternoon. Beer and food were excellent - like the old-timers used to talk about.

Paradise-what?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first casualty of the 'Paradise Valley'. Detroit has f@*k#d up Harmony Park so many times you'd think they'd just give up. They always manage to go into places like 'Chinatown' and 'Trappers Alley' and push or kick everyone out or worse yet, 'Demolition by Neglect'. They need to figure out how to provide police and other essential city services. Detroit could try civilised council meetings, treating citizens and businesses in a friendly, helpful, businesslike manner or BUTT OUT. 1KD Thanks to Bob McKeown for 'Demolition By Neglect'

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, I wish I had brighter things to say about Harmonie Park, but everybody I've talked to has pretty much told me the same thing. They loved it, lived there, worked there, and partied there. Then, the big movers said:

"Oh, look at that little place with artists and restaurants. It's starting to get hip and interesting. Let's get together, buy it all, kick them all out and make some MONEY!"

Sigh.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say let the market decide what should go there and keep the Council and other public agencies grubby paws out of it.
The DDA already lost a lot of money on loan subsidies that haven't panned out.
If the free market won't pay for it then why waste precious tax money on it.

ps Is Lola's business doing better now there's less competition?

(Message edited by lefty2 on August 25, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't that be nice, Lefty2?

Dirty little secret, though - very little of the revitalization is being funded by private money, which is scary.

There's not the actual demand now in the CBD unless it's subsidized or seriously tax-abated to make the numbers work. It's leveraged through the pension system or other governmental or quasi-governmental arms.

They're trying to create a market using taxpayer dollars as the investment fund.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, now I get it, the politicians use our tax money to build or do projects so they can say, "hey look what I did with your money, vote for me".

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lola's was packed Saturday night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.