Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit-born film critic in Windsor cab loses 11k, Cuban cigars to Border Guards « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only found the Ontario Children's Choir members they stick in Dudley Do-Right uniforms in Windsor to be jerks...maybe I haven't got the right American one

http://www.laobserved.com/arch ive/2008/08/elvis_mitchell_wan ts_his.php

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(disclaimer- I'm black) I see the race card being played, but he had two strikes coming across the border. 10k + and cubans... I don't think that has anything to do with race. If you have a fear of banks and you grabbed the wrong box, was he gonna leave the money box @ home? LOL.

Hmmmm makes you wonder the real deal.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had a problem at customs. Be honest and polite (no matter what) and there won't be problems.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any normal person kept $10K+ in a box you can be sure it wouldn't be taken on an international trip by mistake.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In light of todays economy I have no faith in banks either but mine is buried in my yard with a GPS unit. I sure wouldn't take it on a vacation. I really hated to read the race card being brought up in the article.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice that he just told the world he keeps large sums of money in boxes in his house.

I hope the money buried in your back yard is a joke too.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hope the money buried in your back yard is a joke too.

Why?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not recommend burying Cuban Cigars in your backyard.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because 1)Money rots when buried 2)It's easy to find when freshly buried 3)Putting a gps device inside lets others know how to find it

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wally,

there are a laundry list of things that could happen to your cash, not to mention a complete lack of security or insurance in the instance in which something does happen. The neighbor's dog could easily destroy your life savings in the blink of an eye, relatively speaking. There's a significant amount of passive income you could be making with some intelligent personal finance.

not to mention burying cash in the backyard sounds like a pretty paranoid thing to do

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if you remember when Elvis Mitchell was at the Freep. Everyone thought being at his home town paper would be a good fit. Mr. Mitchell dances to his own drummer(putting it nicely) so the fear of banks and the cuban cigars would not be unusual for him.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Wally, whats your address.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never cared much for Elvis Mitchell's reviews so I'm not surprised by his reaction to being treated like anybody else would be treated.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a complete non-story. You can't cross the border (in either direction) with $ or financial insturments of a value in excess of $10,000 without declaring it. It's against the law. End of story.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.