Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Former Saber Lancer/Club 500 workers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chefbrandon
Username: Chefbrandon

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for anyone who may have worked in the kitchen at Club 5oo...I have lost my original pizza dough and sauce recipes but kind of remember the ingredients list...someone help..wanna bring back the original pizza in my cafe.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope that someone can help you out there...because Club 500 pizza was the best!! We had our wedding rehearsal dinner at Club 500 for that reason!

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it good. The pizza cannot be compared to any other I have ever had. Its rather sad that I worked there for so long but can't remember the recipe to save my life. I have come close, but...it still lacks something

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get a hold of Jeanie Grzyanka

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is she Grzyanka or Fellows?...I thought that she worked for Cottage Hospital...but I haven't made it down there yet. So Pgn421...you still haven't answered my question...do I know you?

Sabrelancer
Username: Sabrelancer

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked at Club 500 and for that matter, my last few weeks at the Sabre Lancer, Jeanie's name was Fellows. If you ever find the recipie for the dough please share it!...hee..hee

When did you work at the Club 500? I was there when it started...Frank was still renovating the place furiously trying to get done so it could open on time. Sabre Lancer, I worked at off and from about '72 until around '75. My last stint at Club 500 was, as a Waiter just before going away to WMU in '80.

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iI didn't start there till 1988...so we were a few years apart...was Kevin Mumford in the Kitchen...Rob Dann also, I worked with Chuck Burns when he took over the kitchen....I will try to dig up the recipe if I can find my old notes

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember that pizza, over twenty years later, WAY better than Buddy's. Now it's a "Love's Just Hors d'oeuvres & Me" catering.
The Dairy Queen after being robbed, is now a landscaping lot, the Seven Eleven, after an employee got shot and killed, is a tax free church.

Sabrelancer

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Chefbrandon. I remained in Germany after getting out of the military and the pizza here really sucks, as does most everything else, but that's another story. The recipe would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know whatever happened to Frank Grzanka?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7206
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2, I used to always buy my Christmas tree from that Dairy Queen lot. The year they stopped selling the trees (about 5 years ago), I instead got an artificial one.

Ironically although I lived on Marseilles until 1990, I never went to Sabre Lancers (I used to go to Kavan's Colony East (there's a large archived thread on Kavan's) and Pointe BBQ.

As a kid I used to go to Maple Lanes Bowling down the street. And of course went to that Dairy Queen and 7-Eleven for years.

I was always intrigued by that rotunda shaped muffler shop a few blocks down E. Warren. A very interesting building.

Sabrelancer

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh....Maple Lanes. Where I broke 200 for the first time and bowled my all time record of 256 in the late '70s. Thanx for bringing Maple Lanes up Gistok...I hadn't thought about that in decades. Lived on Lodewyck by the way.

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Gryzanka now is partners at Cover Girls strip club, he did also own the two Porky's Ribs & Chicken, one next to Whimpy's and the other on the corner of E. Warren just off Mack, but he sold the Club 500 to a Yugoslavian family that turned the place into a restaurant/arcade...so ridiculous!.when I worked there, we were cranking out at least 100 pizzas a night...making dough two to three times a day, always fresh, always perfect...when the new owners took over...they made half the amount (the neighborhood has declined to say the least) but they would re-use the day old dough...that dough was never meant to be re-used..too much fermentation, would never rise the same when baked

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as for the rest of the "hood"...well yes the Dairy QUeen is gone, 7-11 gone, Maple Lanes gone...but at least the "pony Keg" still stands its ground...I went there for old times sake before the 4th of July and bought fireworks...as usual, the crap was displayed up front for the tourists...but when pushed...they have a shit load of the good stuff hidden in the back...it makes you feel like you're doing some illegal arms deal in a back alley in Bosnia or something!!

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Porky's! Awesome sauce.

What year did he sell Club 500?

I waited tables there for a summer (1990?)...didn't really care for working there, but that was mainly b/c pizza tips can't compare to tips from a table full of individual entrees (which is what I had been used to). But they really did make great pizza.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Mar-Say, on the snobby side u know.
Wasn't the tuffy's a church before that?
In the early 80's the coke users/dealers slowly scared a lot of people out.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guy's are bringing back alot of memories for me. I almost shed a tear. I lived on Kensington between Southhampton and Frankfort. The SabreLancer was a weekly ritual. Cheeseburger medium well with sauteed onions. Nice cold beer. On occasion, I'd go in on Friday night and sing with Don who played his keyboard. I think that was his name. I remember when Frank owned it, then Pete and Diane Corio and then Louise. She was great. Her son ran the kitchen. I remember a waitress named Karen that was there for a long time.

(Message edited by Servite76 on August 15, 2008)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maple Lanes matchbooks for you.

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yes...Club Ground Round with crinkle cut fries...we put MSG in our seasoning..always helping the customer drink more beer to was down all the sodium!!

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and just so you know...the bbq sauce at Club & Porky's we used Open Pit...when heated high enough...it is pretty good

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76 " I lived on Kensington between Southhampton and Frankfort"

Servite 76 did you happen to know the Pryzbilski's, Affelts, Arpins or Nowaks? In the 1960's I lived on Chandler Park Dr. between Yorkshire and Kensington; it was a great neighborhood with lots of kids.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what happened to Frank Grzanka? I used to go in the Sabre Lancer and his buddy's place -Trumps'. They used to visit me quite frequently too. It was Ken Potenga that owned Trumps. I'm glad I got his name out there or it would have bothered me all night. 1KD

Kathleen

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken Potenga....I remember him from Oliver's, the precursor to Trumps!! I grew up on Three Mile Drive between Warren and Mack, and later lived on Whittier just above Chandler Park Dr. We used to frequent Oliver's to hear our favorite bands. Ivory Tower, Cirrus, Wildlife come to mind. In fact, I met my husband when he played in Wildlife. Thanks, 1KD!

And welcome to the Forum!!

Sabrelancer

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oliver's was a major hang out for me. I remember Ken. I worked as a bartender at Trumps for a bit. When the law changed back to 21 to leagally drink, it kind of devestated his clientel, but he was pretty innovative at getting more customers...ie all drinks for 15 cents, that sort of thing.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 76-77, there was Nickel Night at Oliver's each Wednesday. $2 cover, then 5 cents a drink from 8-9, then 10 cents 9-10, 25 cents 10-11, and 50 cents 11-2. We still talk about Nickel Night!!

Sabrelancer

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After Kenney bought the place, the original idea for an adult disco basically turned into a disco. I worked for Trumps, and it was a good job, but my heart is with Oliver's mainly because of the live bands. At the time I used to hang out there, Harriet ran the place. After declining an offer as a manager, she worked at Sabre Lancer as a waitress after Oliver's became Trumps. More money because of the tips. A mistake, as far as I am concerned however, because the woman was a sharp as nails as a club manager. Knew just what bands to book and when, she knew all of the logistics involved in running a club as if it were second nature to her. Plus she was kinda pretty too...hee..hee

Pgn421

Post Number: 788
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abruzzi,Potenga, and Grazanka.

Sabrelancer

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey...haven't heard about Mike in a looooooooong time. When I knew him he was an attorney, Broker, and just about everything else. Took over the old Royal Coach Lounge and had his own Stripper bar......

Anyone know John Roulo? He was a manager of the Sabre, along with Jim Eathorne and then later with Betty Sulki in the late mid '70s, before Jeannie Fellows came along. John later opened his own bar called Your Place on East Warren.

Pgn421

Post Number: 789
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John is in Marysville.he owns The Green Oak Tavern

Lefty2

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you cook with a guy named Greg R. (no last name please)? He still lives around here.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabre Lancer...best damn burger on the east side. Wimpy's which took the same spot, also was good.

Club 500 was indeed killer pizza.

Anyone use to hang out at the Mediterranean Lounge up there?

Also...Maple lanes...I drive by it every day. Its a shame to see it being used as a storage shed for a landscaping company.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yum...Mediterranean Lounge's Cream of Broccoli soup and a hunk of bread were a meal all by themselves.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to deliver bread for Mr.C's bakery,club 500 was one of my stops.Great place.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PGN ...John's place is Marine City and is called
"The Oak Room Grill" Come on boy get with it..Give me a call about the State Fair..

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and just so you know...the bbq sauce at Club & Porky's we used Open Pit...when heated high enough...it is pretty good, too.

LOL. I grew up on Open Pit, so that explains that!

Pgn421

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whaler-thanks! old age creeping in

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My kids are in their early 20's and we STILL talk about how good the french onion soup was at Club 500. We went there a lot for pizza and french onion soup. Recipe?

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing special about the soup itself...beef base, lots of regular yellow onions sauteed in butter till lightly golden, we added sherry then the beef base/stock, cooked down and adjusted seasonings, salt & pepper...what did make it good, was the cheese blend, the same cheese used on the pizzas as well as the nachos & wet burrito we made...its all in the cheese!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.