Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mark Spitz in Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know why Mark Spitz is in Detroit? I just saw him on NBC in an interview with Bob Costas and Phelps, and the caption said he was in "Detroit, MI". Just wondering why!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I are wondering too.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess his son is playing basketball in the area.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Spitz had a son?

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080813/SPO RTS17/808130408/1217/sports
(paragraph before "Covered")

Found it, Lnfant your correct. Tell him what he's won Bob.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an earlier article, which I can't find, Spitz has a 16 year old son who is playing in the Maccabi games out in west bloomfield.

These Maccabi games are like the Jewish AAU games, or some such thing, they'e been having these games for 25 - 30 years. Folks come from around the country to West Bloomfield to compete. Here is an article about the games, but it doesn't include and mention of Spitz or his son.

http://www.hometownlife.com/ap ps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080 814/SPORTS02/808140349/1064/SP ORTS

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 790
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitz is dentist in Indianapolis

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, I remember hearing about that. I didn't know Spitz was Jewish, thought it was a German name...Germanic Jewish name, eh?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7207
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Historically many Ashkenazi Jews have Germanic names (Goldfarb, Goldberg, Goldblum, Feinstein, Finkelstein, Bernstein, Spitz).

For anyone watching the ill fated 1972 Munich Olympics, it became apparent that Spitz was Jewish because after the Palestinian raid on the Israeli Olympic housing (and later 11 deaths), Spitz (an American Jew) was whisked out of Germany after his 7th gold medal.

It was also mentioned that he was Jewish at that time.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 266
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, wasn't even alive for those Olympics, but my dad remembers that's all he did that summer was watch the Olympics.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, it was just recently that I became aware that Jews of today are not considered related to the Hebrews of Biblical times but rather from the Khazarians who converted to Judaism sometime around 700-800 AD. If that is indeed true then that has huge implications for all the fundamentalists Christians who consider today's Jews "God's Chosen People" and are nearly 100% Zionists.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite 1972 Summer Olympic athlete is Dave Wottle, the gold medal winner of the 800 metre run, in where he came from last place behind the field and start to past every runner to win by .03 seconds. He wore a cap during his races to keep his long hair from falling on his face.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Khazarian?This explains my urge in the middle of the night to eat that Khazarian dish of zcetavotix with a side of gwzcghjiamos.And where's my 1000 by 5000 cubits parcel of sand promised to us by King Rutin-Tootin?

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys crack me up. The mere mention of Jews or Germans really gets the discussion fired up. Heh heh. All I know is that Spitz was on the Wheaties cereal box forever. On an unrelated note: what is up with the Olympics these days? I spent at least 3 summers as a kid watching nothing but. But now it seems that all I hear or read about is whining, crying, and Swedish temper tantrums. Fortunately, the times that I do happen to run across a television, I've seen some pretty good competitions.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Wottle was a favorite of mine, too! Detroit was fortunate to have hosted the NCAA Indoor Track Championships at Cobo Arena for years and years. We went every year and saw some great athletes perform, including Bob Seagren!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Spitz in Detroit while Kwame Kilpatrick spits on Detroit.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, Bob Seagren could not only run his ass off, but returned to Cobo Arene to record one of the Greatest live albums of all time.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bronze medal for trying, Ed.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take it.

beer

Arclight
Username: Arclight

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman_Dude the myth of the Khazarian Jews was invented back in the 60's to try to discredit the Jewish historical claim to an Israeli homeland. Modern DNA testing has of course proven the Semitic roots of European Jews. Science beats conspiracy nuts every time.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mark Spitz is Jewish and was indeed evacuated from the 1972 Olympics to keep him safe from the Palestinian terrorists. He was in West Bloomfield at the JCC (Jewish Community Center) for his son and from what I heard, was a really nice guy and happy to be here.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gistok, it was just recently that I became aware that Jews of today are not considered related to the Hebrews of Biblical times but rather from the Khazarians who converted to Judaism sometime around 700-800 AD. If that is indeed true then that has huge implications for all the fundamentalists Christians who consider today's Jews "God's Chosen People" and are nearly 100% Zionists.

Catman_dude,

What you "recently became aware of" is not accurate. Yes, there has been speculation as to the origin of Ashkenazi Jews, and *some* Khazars were known to have converted to Judaism around the time you mentioned. But as Arclight said, DNA testing now shows that Ashkenazi Jews are indeed mostly descended from the "Hebrews of Biblical times", as you put it. There do appear (both from DNA testing and physical looks) to be *some* European influences in the Ashkenazi gene pool, and perhaps some of these are Khazar. But it would be a minority of the total ancestry. The biggest proponents of the theory that today's Jews are all descended from Khazars are those who want to limit the Jews' link to Israel. Like Arclight said, sorry, won't work.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My buddy met him last week. Real nice guy.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Spitz is NOT a dentist. That was just a rumor. He is a stockbroker and investor and he lives out in California, not Indianapolis.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 698
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Spitz once had plans to attend Dentistry school but never did. From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M ark_Spitz#On-going_dentistry_e rror

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.