Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Robberies - - Watch Your Back! » Archive through August 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From of friend of mine; it seems this is occurring in North Rosedale Park but obviously they are mobile so this can happen anywhwere. Watch your backs!

Dear neighbors,

This morning, Thursday, Aug 14, at 8am, my husband was out running on Artesian just north of Lyndon. A newer big black SUV pulled up to him and at gun point wanted his wallet. He didn't have it, so they told him to get into the car and they came to our house. There were 3 black males in the car. The one with the gun and the one in the back seat came into our house. The one with the gun was in his early 20s, med. black around 5' 8". Hair not long or big. The other 2 were late teens. The one in the back seat tinier, darker black male. Their shirts were pulled over their noses. They were nervous. They bent my husband's glasses up. They got money, a wallet, cell phone and ipod. My son and I were sleeping. NO one was physically hurt. Within minutes the robbers left the house. Husband called the police. They came at 8:30am. We put in a report.

While husband was talking to the police at their car in front of the house another robbery was committed probably by the same criminals down near Davison which means they were headed probably south and east. The police sent out the description right away so that units will be looking for them. Another officer on our street said that catching them is hard because they tend to dump the car they are driving.

Nevertheless, if you see a newer black SUV, possibly a Chevy Tahoe, get a license number and call the 6th Precinct and tell them you have a number on a vehicle that looks like the vehicle used in an armed robbery in Rosedale Park. Thank goodness husband was as cool-headed as he was so no one got hurt.

I drove to the Artesian, north of Lyndon-block where the crime started and told some residents there to tell their residents and told another resident that I saw out jogging later. Spread the word.

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's incredibly ballsy and incredibly sad!

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's sad. Looks like it's time to invest in a treadmill.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm glad nobody got hurt and hope they catch them. I know that area well because my church is there, Macedonia Baptist. I will pass the message along.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ever you do, DON'T GET IN THE CAR!

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its easy to look back and think what you should and shouldn't do, but why would you lead 3 men with a gun back to your wife and children?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo
What would you do with a gun pointed at you?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, it's not fair to bust MrChievous' chops. I'm sure he feels terrible enough.

Unless you were there, unless you've had a gun pointed at you and pulled a Dirty Harry, you have NO idea on what you would do in a similar situation.

Let's just thank god that no one was hurt.

Gogo

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not get in the car. Or at least take them to a busier location, unless they already knew where you lived. I run a lot and I would have just told them I'm staying at the Marriot. There is no way they'd walk with me, with a gun through the Marriot. I know Rosedale Park is nowhere near a major hotel, but surely there are gas stations or other busy places nearby that you could have been coming from. Tell them you're running from work and don't live in the neighborhood and you can take them back there. They'd probably lose interest or be too scared to go back onto a major road.

If I had a wife/kid, I definitely wouldn't take 3 guys with a gun back to where they were.

Gogo

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome - Not trying to bust anyones chops. But if the point of this thread is to warn people, then maybe they should be warned to (1) not get in the car (2) not lead them back to your loved ones. Definitely not trying to blame the victim, but we can learn a little from their experience so that it does happen to someone else, they can be better prepared.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You scream for help and run like hell. That's what our parents in that same neighborhood told us. (That is one rough ass neighborhood two blocks west of there). It may sound childish, sheltered, or wimpy, but I have done it (a few times), and lived to tell about it. You grow up on Schoolcraft, you do what it takes.

Gnome

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, you have NO idea on what you'd do unless you've been in that situtation. That is not a personal slam on you gogo, it is just a fact. You can plan and dream and do all the "what-ifs" and "I'd do this or that" but the brain doesn't work that way unless it is trained.

In combat the sane thing to do is to run the other way, but soldiers stay and fight because they are trained to do so.

A guy going for a morning jog, is thinking about breathing and not stepping in dog shit, not what he'd do if someone pointed a cannon in his face.

You do what you do. It ain't right or wrong it just is.

Cemeteries are filled with dead heroes.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You scream for help and run like hell. That's what our parents in that same neighborhood told us. (That is one rough ass neighborhood two blocks west of there). "

No kidding! Thats what my parents taught me, I grew up by Cody. Draw as much attention to you and the vehicle. Those folks will be out of the area quick. These are crimes of opportunity, folks like this like to prey on the weak or helpless. By drawing attention to the situation you have a better chance of survival than getting in their car.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13775

Yeah, and run the opposite direction they're pointed in...and through a few yards.

Maybe slap a few windshields on the way to set off a few car alarms!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3395
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sorry to hear that happened to you Mschievous. I'm glad no one was hurt physically.

However, I do agree with Gogo. Even if you are nervous & not sure what to do, always remember to never endanger your loved ones in situations like this. If you must (in the most extreme cases), take a bullet for them. He could have led the robbers to a busier area or a place with plenty of security & protection.

I must say though, if the robbers are athletic, then I'll be dead because I'm not a runner. :-(

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this happened to me, I'd move away ASAP!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8576
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's a cop on DetroitYes with their professional opinion when you need one?

I, for one am curious as to what they would recommend.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy has it right: "What ever you do, DON'T GET IN THE CAR!"

That's the No. 1 survival rule, and I drilled it into my daughters' heads. Run, scream, zigzag. Police stats show you are far more likely to get hurt once you're inside a car than if you attempt to run away. The average street criminal doesn't know how to handle a weapon, much less hit a moving target. Even if by chance you're winged, you're still alive and moving away from danger and attracting attention by screaming like hell.

Having said that, it's up to each person to figure out how to step outta the shit. It's hard to criticize someone's snap decision----though I have to admit I could never lead three armed punks to my house if my wife and kids were there. I'd have to figure out something but no way do I bring this nightmare into the home. Obviously, if the punks have your wallet they can figure out where you live from your driver's license, but this guy didn't appear to have his wallet with him.

Whatever. We've all suddenly found ourselves in some dicey situations. This guy and his family got out of it safely and that's all that matters.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh----I'm not a cop. And I don't play one on TV.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It's not if you're a law enforcer, but rather or not you have common sense & know how to defend yourself when the cops aren't around.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, Just a note from a female about what to do in this same situation

I have repeatedly heard from many experts and law officials about "creating a new crime scene" esp as a female...NEVER NEVER NEVER get into a vehicle. Don't allow them to create a new crime scene.
If you are told to get into a car, run, run , run like hell. 50% of the time, they will flee. If they choose to shoot you, 50 % of the time, they will miss. If they do hit you 50% of the time the wound wont be fatal. The odds build that you stand a better chance of survival this way, as opposed to being a sitting duck tied up, bound or gagged.

I am only repeating what I was told by at least 8 police and law enforcement officials. I am not trying to start anything, really, just of what I have been lectured on

I had a situation occur, reported it to the police, and this is where I recieved this information

Basically, I'd rather them do something then and there,as opposed to being thrown in a trunk of a car, only to be raped, beaten and killed.As a female, my decision would be to run. Thanks for listening Jane

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats why I couldn,t convince myself to buy a home in detroit. And I have two beautiful pitbulls at home. Im sorry to hear about your problem. I truly sympathize.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an incredible story. Sorry for your experience.

These teenage thugs are very, very brazen. They take chances. I don't live that far from Rosedale Park. In my neighborhood my neighbor observed thugs steal a Yukon by pushing it with another vehicle because they couldn't get the car started. Behind them were the owners who were chasing right behind them in another vehicle. They robbers finally bailed out.

I don't know, it is getting really, really bad around Northwest Detroit. I am past the point of being fed up.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sleezebag criminals, they ruin the City.

I'm not going to highjack the thread with my story from many years ago (an opportunist told me that I wasn't going to make it home. I have very short patience with these cheaters in life and I DID make it home without losses or physical harm). It seems each scenario is dependent on the personalities involved and pure luck (thanks for the advice janesback). But this thread reminded of that first experience and of what others have described as the "higher self" or "survival mode" where the mind exits and the body swings into a powerful automatic. Certainly training could prepare someone for a threatening situation. But when this "survival mode" is turned on, all the senses are heightened and the situation changes quickly– you get to see what you're really made of. Unfortunately, I think criminals are addicted to the high/low emotions of "survival mode".

Gogo

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thats why I couldn,t convince myself to buy a home in detroit. And I have two beautiful pitbulls at home. Im sorry to hear about your problem. I truly sympathize.

Cause nothing ever happens in the burbs! NOT. My coworkers sister had 3 guys break into her house, tie her up, and repeatedly rape her. Then they poured bleach all over her and left her there for over a day before someone found her. Where she had 3rd degree burns. This was in Warren and very close to the hospital. Not Detroit. Get a grip.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is also the reason that keeps me from buying in the city.

While it's true that it could happen in the burbs, the chances are MUCH higher within city limits, and if it does happen, you can't rely on the cops to show up.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyday crimes in Detroit are rare occurences in the suburbs...

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 628
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enlightening, sensible comments here. (Well, mostly.)

Nothing to add 'cept a respectful heads-up to hasty readers (been there plenty of times) that Mschievous was sharing an email "from of friend of mine" -- not relating her first-hand account of being victimized. Doesn't affect the discussion, of course -- just clarifying 'cause of a couple "sorry to hear that happened to you, Mschievous" posts.

Gnome

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reality, good point. missed that the first time I read it. Need to re-take my 4th grade reading comprehension course.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: Hamtragedy: What ever you do, DON'T GET IN THE CAR!
Right! Especially if you are a women, if you get in, chances are you are going to die. Gouge their eyes out or the thumb in the throat works well.

How about starting a criminal thread, one with maybe pictures of cars plates, faces, places, like a online neighborhood watch. Because we know the police can't be everywhere the criminals are.