Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Anyone here driving/attending the Dream Cruise? » Archive through August 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Funny, though, somebody correctly called out my car at the time: A Chevy Citation II. Perhaps they thought I was an enthusiast, but it was all the car I could afford at the time. "

I would have also thought it was intentional.As the 80s are becoming more distant,the eras cars have become obscure.Theyre becoming "retro-cool" and old Citations now are quite symbolic of
their era.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln: Heh. Never thought my '80s-mobile would have cachet until then. I was kinda chucklin' through the tears. :-)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant -

quote:

aww, Bigb23, is that a pic of you on a date?

Well, I can't get a date, that car is more classic than mine, but I DO have more hair. :-)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed; sobering to think that, for instance, an early K car is officially a classic now. My 1977 Dodge Aspen, and I'd still like to find the guy that assembled that piece of s**t, would be considered a classic if I hadn't had the sense to sell it for scrap metal 20+ years back.

Now, the 1970 Dart, which was the Prof's first car back in his misspent youth - that I wouldn't mind taking for a spin one last time.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went last night up to the shopping area on 13 and Woodward. The lot was packed with cars of all kinds. Woodward too was wall to wall cars .The Cruise has officially stated for sure.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan to attend a few evenings this week with the Laurel Green '68 Amabassador DPL, but may just spectate on Saturday. I get enough gridlock on my way home from work, don't care to be part of it if I don't have too.

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could make it with my 36 Lincoln, but it's hurricane season and I have to stick around.
(36 Lincoln Zephyr V12 Sedan)
stock, unmolested.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13735
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be spending some time down at the NextCruise event in Pleasant Ridge that you might've heard about from Paul Eisenstein on Craggy's DetroitTODAY a week or so ago.

There will be eight car companies showcasing their 'green' technology in that parkzone on the west side of Woodward just south of I-696...and actually providing ride-n-drives for those interested.

There should be some cool displays explaining the various approaches the firms are taking to the petrol problem.

I'll be bussing it with my bike from downtown, after my usual Zeff's breakfast...glad I saw this thread, I almost booked work for this day!

East Detroit, look for the light blue Mustang Hardtop Convertible Prototype...that fellow is my old Dearborn Heights neighbor and a fantastic guy. He landed one of SEVENTEEN prototypes made by the same fellow who did that short-lived hardtop convertible for Ford in the early sixties, cannot remember the name of it.

Cheers and more, see y'all there!

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroitnerd, you might want to steer clear of my car. It shoots flames out the side. Those black marks on the door aren't painted on :-) Zephyrmerc that is a beautiful car, don't see those everyday. I saw a few cars out yesterday afternoon around 3 pm when I was on my way to the ballpark. I know it's going to be crazy by Friday though. I'm going to try and be there early afternoon, but I've got to be back early for Back to the Bricks in Flint the next morning. Most of the guys in my car club are from the Flint/Clio area and the local ABC affiliate wants to do a little spot on our cars.

Bcscott

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found out my pal Marc is planning on cruising Friday as well. Here's my sedan and his bitchin 34 coupe at Billetproof in Davisburg earlier this year

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" plan to attend a few evenings this week with the Laurel Green '68 Amabassador DPL, but may just spectate on Saturday. I get enough gridlock on my way home from work, don't care to be part of it if I don't have too."

I saw you out there near 14 mile. I really doubt theres another green Ambassador around. Looked real nice.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I haven't had it out all year, forgot how nice that old car runs. HP, are you going to Green Meade this Sunday?

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father and I plan on going.We wanted to last year but rained too hard.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there in my car, a '96 Corvette Grand Sport. It is blue with a white racing stripe and black wheels that was a special edition for '96 only. 1,000 produced, 810 coupes 190 convertibles. Hope the weather is nice!
Those rat rods are cool in their own way!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were out at Northwood last evening too. A nice turnout and a nice range of cars! Walked from there up to Normandy and back down. It can only get better each day through Saturday so will be out and about each evening, all day Friday, and all day Saturday. Enjoy!!

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, pertaining to cruisin' - I might start a non-Detroit thread about this.

If any of you get tired of the slow cruise, bring your vehicle up to Flint. We have "Back to the Bricks" car show that runs on the same dates as the Dream cruise.

Enclosing the link so you can read about it yourselves. I think I am heading downtown on Friday.

http://www.backtothebricks.org /

(Message edited by mama_jackson on August 13, 2008)

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

96 Corvette Grand Sport isnt a classic and should not be out there....

Cambrian

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was annoyed by all the 2005 Trailblazers and Hyandai's that just HAD to be in the right two lanes with the old cars for some reason.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen...hubby and I will be at the parade too. Would love to meet you. Where do you usually sit to watch?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Blueidone,

Usually near Gardner since my sister and family lives on that street. What about you?

Bcscott

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's funny. Leave it to a vette guy who BOUGHT his car to talk down to hot rodders who BUILT their own cars by saying they're "cool in thier own way." Rat rods are rusty pieces of shit with bullet holes, poor engineering, and zero asthetics. So you're not paying anyone any compliments by calling their cars that. Not trying to be a dick but I get sick of the new Vette/Harley/Streetrod guy telling everyone else what's cool when all they did was open up the checkbook.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 537
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 2 interviewed me today at Northwood.Said theyd air it between 5 and 7.
so much for being low-key.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13750
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian,

You got a paintball gun?

heh...

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen: I don't think hubby has a favorite spot. We can try to meet you there. Please e-mail me a picture or how to recognize you to corneroffice2 at aol dot com and I will send you one back.

Look forward to meeting you!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5229
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm well on the record for my anti-Nightmare Cruise thoughts, but really, don't all of these posts give truth to the lie that it's only 1 day a year? I had such a wonderful time tonight trying to conduct some business on Woodward. No, Mr. Black 1970's Duster, I DO NOT WANT TO RACE. Or hear your engine. Or breath your exhaust.

Alienjerky
Username: Alienjerky

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking of wearing my halloween ELVIS outfit to see if I can hitch a ride & take some pictures in some of those classic cars. Just don't ask me to sing.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - Bcscott, you know what Jay Leno says about checkbook car collectors !
Here's a link to my old ad that's still up here.

Give me a shout sometime.

"Advanced autobody, custom car and limousine fabrication, antique car restoration, laser programming and operation."

MIG, TIG, ARC, Flux, Gas welding and print reading. BEEP School,and custom architectural metal fabrication.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/65504/133534.html?121133 1251

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely. I just got my 1960 Chevy Impala post sedan running, but it still needs a few more adjustments to make it road worthy. It has a 283 small block V-8 with a cast Iron Powerglide and 2-bbl carb.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back out at the Cruise tonight...nothing keeps the cruisers away, not even torrential rain! And then it cleared out...making for a nice evening.

Blueidone: Check your email.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys have got it all wrong..a car doesn't have to "be" any particular flavor for it to be a "cruiser."
I'm speaking as a person who actually did "cruise" Woodward, (and Gratiot, and Telegraph, and any other street where there was a chance to find a girl or a race) back when it was a real phenomenon rather than a made-for-tv event..
I gotta tell ya, the cars didn't much matter. I was usually driving some butt-ugly sleeper (Gremlin with three different colors of mismatched body panels and a 390/4spd, anyone?) and looking for a sucker to race..but there were just as many guys (and ladies) driving new(er) "factory hot rods," bone-stock grocery getters, and homebuilt or pro-built showpieces..cruising was a social event with cars, not a car show.
Go easy on the 'vette guy..and the rat-rod guys..they have just as much right to be there as the dude with the handbuilt (by him) showcar that's period-correct and has the proper OEM wiper blades..and the guy with the Citation would've been there in the old days, too.
It's about the people..