Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Perrien Park... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any information about Perrien Park located at Chene and E. Warren i.e. history, old photos, uses, name origin, etc.? I can't even find a sign with the name of the park on it anymore! Thanks

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 60's there a sign mounted on pipes at one of the corners of the park. I am not sure if there is still a gazebo or band shell in the park. There weren't many parks in the area.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So instead of twideling my thumbs while this report finishes, I did some quick internet research on your park (hey it was something to do).

Around 1987 Ujamaa Associates became the leader in honoring Marcus Mosiah Garvey's birthday at The "Garvey In The Park Celebration". Although the location was moved through the year, it's permanent home is Perrien Park in Detroit, Michigan. This community festival brings out families, vendors, shoppers, drummers and musicians for an all day party. Throughout the day the entertainment includes Spoken Word and Dramatic Poetry Readings, live music, drumming and dancing. A wide variety of vendors and sellers offer up food, hand made clothing and jewelry, and artifacts, African imports, and more. All Ujamaa celebrations have an open call out to all drummers in the area to participate in the Sundown Drumming Session!
http://www.ujamaaassociates.co m/Ujamaa%20Celebrates!.html
(you'll have to copy paste the above link into your browser. The novice website designer must not have been aware that it's a bad idea to include an ! in your html page name...)

There was a strike protest held at the park denouncing meat packer price fixing during 1930's
http://books.google.com/books? id=5l5roo7qmlgC&pg=PA61&lpg=PA 61&dq=%22Perrien+Park%22+detro it&source=web&ots=L9U2taPF4c&s ig=fM3UGO-OYW-L7zDIMaopMozjqWI &hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&res num=9&ct=result

Apparently it is also the site of "Old Eastside High School" and they still have bands there.
http://collect.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=music.showDe tails&Band_Show_ID=34680441&fr iendid=295318979

Report finished, so it's back to work for me...

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's some info about it in a thread in the HOF section:

The Early Detroit Polish Community...

I know of no high school that was located where the park is.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northeastern High School.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, but NE was on the other side of the street (Grandy), on the corner of Jos Campau and Warren. Now it looks like it's all the same abandoned land, but way back, the park was surrounded by homes and businesses. There's a map of the park in that HOF thread I linked.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I remember it, the school was directly facing the park. There were no homes facing it. Here's a view from 1961.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I've only looked at the Sanborn maps for that area, and that happens to be the border between the volumes. Should have looked at the aerials too.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a fairly recent photo of Perrien Park from last winter. But, still no sign saying "Perrien Park". And, yes, there is a gabezo as you mentioned.

Perrien Park

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.