Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Teen Town and Club 1270 Memories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard stories from folks about watching Swiningin' Time, but it seems no one remembers Teen Town, or Club 1270. Anyone here remember those shows, and have stories to tell.

I would love to hear them

Orchard612
Username: Orchard612

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Club 1270 which had Joel Sebastian and Lee Allen as hosts. I can't remember Teen Town by that name. Wasn't it renamed Swingin' Time later on?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing the very young Rolling Stones on Club 1270 sometime around 1964. The continental style greasers who were sitting around the tables on the set (made up to resemble a teen night club) were pounding their fist into an open palm and were giving the long haired Limeys "The Bad Eye", even more so when Mick removed one of his shoes to scratch his foot.

...on a different note Len Berry of the Dovells (Bristol Stomp..One, Two Three) refused to perform with the Stones because they had long hair.

Mhc
Username: Mhc

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to watch Club 1270 every Saturday; it was a great show. A lot of the music was live. I remember seeing Billy Lee and The Rivieras do a great cover version of a classic local Detroit R&B record, Lee Rogers's "I Want You to Have Everything"; a few months later they changed their name to Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels. I saw Joel Sebastian's last show, before he went to NY and turned the show over to Dave Prince. Chuck Jackson was a guest and played live. Chuck Berry was on one Saturday and, again, played live for about half the show. Of course lots of local stuff was featured, like The Headliners, The Sunliners, et. al. Too bad there are no video tapes...

Mickeymac

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orchards you're right, Teen Town later became Swingin' TIme only Time was from CKLW.

Yall probably know this better than me, but Teen Town featured each week kids from different high schools around Detroit. The one episode that I know still exists of that show was in early 1965 where Robin Seymour did the a salute to Motown. A lot of that footage has been used in various documentaries over the years.

Thanks for the Club 1270 stories. Man if only I could have seen that.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Joel Sebastian go to Chicago, actually?

Both Teen Town and Swingin' Time were on CKLW. Both were hosted by Robin Seymour.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On CKLW, before Swingin' Time and Teen Town, there was Bud Davies Dance Party. And before Club 1270 WXYZ had Ed McKenzie's Saturday Party. WJBK was host to Detroit Bandstand with Dale Young.

Mickeymac

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right Ed. I have read about those early shows. Wasnt around to catch any of them(or the 60's shows for that matter). Too bad no footage of those 50's show exists anymore.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Too bad no footage of those 50's show exists anymore"

I wouldn't say that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.