Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » FBI Investigates Failed Highland Park [Northpointe] Housing Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4961
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time! This was a hopeful undertaking for a needy neighborhood but the poor quality and chaotic deployment made it suspicious from the outset. Poor Highland Park, ripped again.
Northpointe project Highland Park Michigan

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of similar homes on Alter, between Outer Drive and Jefferson. I wonder if it's the same developer?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7234
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, great ruins story. Can we have some street addresses to see this mess?

jjaba.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rocknrollscientist, but that particular project didn't fail.

People purchased those homes & are occupying them.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^That's true, I was just wondering.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those houses look stupid. They wouldn't be so bad if they were closer together. In fact, if they were attached homes or even semi-detached homes they would look decent.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you saying that the scrappers would have left them alone had they been less stupid looking?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they look fine. You can't build them as close as you used to, but the narrow design still means the lots can be smaller, right? They'd look nicer with a bay window on the front, but that would be more expensive, and unnecessary for lower income individuals (a good, eventual upgrade by the buyers maybe). I wouldn't mind it for a starter home... you know, if the quality was better. LOL!

I wonder what's wrong with them. I seem to remember reading it was the foundation, but am not sure. If true, that's just sad. That is a kind of important part of the house, that would be expensive, and possibly impossible to fix.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its amazing to me that anyone would think that development no matter how well planned would have worked.... $130K to be placed in the middle of what is essentially a war zone???

"I envisioned good (credit) rate scores and I envisioned a bunch of homeowners owning these homes," said Highland Park resident Michael Curry. "Now, it's down the drain."

if you've got good credit your most likely not buying in Highland Park... for 130K at the time you could have purchased a decent older home in safer established areas such as East English village or possibly the burbs.... sadly, even these 130K houses are probably worth half that now.....

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is the worst city in metro Detroit. Highest crime, lowest income, no services, etc. Why would people with decent credit even consider HP when there are so many affordable options across the metro?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because this housing is NEW! Newer is ALWAYS BETTER! ;)

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3057
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those homes definitely look like they are worth less than $30,000 each. I wouldn't even dare live in them. What a shame, too. Some folks here holler why folks won't move into the city. For starters, some of the home construction lenders are corrupt and won't build housing that would cater to middle and upper-middle class families (larger lots, larger homes, high quality materials).

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, the people were from California and had no idea that Highland Park was a warzone from the beginning. I do admit they should have done better market research.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny. In other cities, the housing that appeals to middle- and upper-class families are old-fashioned adjoining buildings, not large-lot homes.

That said, they are building large-lot subs on the riverfront. They're big, with huge lawns and big parking garages for big cars. In other words, the antithesis of new urbanism. Great job, Detroit.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 595
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would expect the name of the contractor to be false as the article states. It's the same name of the streets these are on, correct?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they don't have gutters...I hated that about them when I saw them being built

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4962
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For jjaba... This is the NE Highland Park neighborhood near St. Benedict and just north of the Model T Plant.

Northpointe development

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.r22d7y827qc0_Northpointe____&encType=1 from Microsoft maps.live.com [Click Bird's Eye view] when you get there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7244
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell. jjaba doesn't know the Eastside very well. Add this to the tour.

jjaba.

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Benedicts being one of my old accounts, I used to deliver to, and drive John R. to Chandler every week back in the 90's and watched the transformation as it progressed and eventually stalled. Being a breadman and delivering to most all neighborhoods in the city over time, I used to think this was THE worst war torn looking part of town that I had ever seen and couldn't fathom anyone purchasing a new home in that neighborhood. Certainly doesn't surprise me reading this now.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2771
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic here, but why do I have to scroll horizontally to read this thread?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Off topic here, but why do I have to scroll horizontally to read this thread?

because of the wide image posted in the thread.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to hijack your thread Lowell (yes, I know I do this often) but in a thread some time ago, I remember discussion concerning out-of-state investors. The mention in this thread about the investors reminds me of the many out of state companies purchasing a large number of homes in historic districts throughout Detroit. I know it's happening in non-historic districts, but I'm going from my experience. I wanted to purchase a home and was sniped by some investment company from out of state.

What happens when these "investors" sell to just anyone? I'm afraid the integrity of these neighborhoods will suffer greatly.

I would sure love to kick the a**es of those involved in mortgage fraud for this latest affront to residents.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn KK and the "family" were found to be involved in this.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to hijack your thread Lowell (yes, I know I do this often) but in a thread some time ago, I remember discussion concerning out-of-state investors. The mention in this thread about the investors reminds me of the many out of state companies purchasing a large number of homes in historic districts throughout Detroit. I know it's happening in non-historic districts, but I'm going from my experience. I wanted to purchase a home and was sniped by some investment company from out of state.

What happens when these "investors" sell to just anyone? I'm afraid the integrity of these neighborhoods will suffer greatly.

I would sure love to kick the a**es of those involved in mortgage fraud for this latest affront to residents.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn KK and the "family" were found to be involved in this.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4916
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's funny. In other cities, the housing that appeals to middle- and upper-class families are old-fashioned adjoining buildings, not large-lot homes.

That said, they are building large-lot subs on the riverfront. They're big, with huge lawns and big parking garages for big cars. In other words, the antithesis of new urbanism. Great job, Detroit.

Detroit and Highland Park have always been single family detached home areas with a few low rise multi-family dwellings mixed in. Why is everyone trying to force a change that isn't natural for the area? It's stupid and a waste of time and money.

Lodgerdodger, the Blackwells are Highland Park's KK and family equivalents.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 597
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, I think a lot of these lots are zoned for single family detached housing. Although it's a shame the driveways had to run alongside the houses.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger, that is a very good point. Maybe we need another topic about that one. Is it reasonable to assume that some of these investors, are tomorrows "lost" owners or slumlords?

As far as the middle class in Highland Park; s\Slums are a way to enter an economy from the bottom. Not everyone stays there forever (in theory). Many work there way up. In the past that meant moving to the suburbs, or out of state. The idea was to provide better housing nearby, that some could move up into. I think it was for those who still wanted to stick around their family, who may not be able to move. Some like to be close by to look after their aging parents, or something similar.

Also, those abandoned buildings... Progress would be better made (in theory) with a association or neighborhood groups to constantly pursue the areas goals and improvements (as well as to reduce crime).

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 21, 2008)

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of state investors are buying like crazy right now in Detroit... I've got cash buyers calling an associate of mine who is one of the top REO agents in the city... they're requesting lots of 5-10 homes, site unseen...

What does that tell you?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4923
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happens to those 5-10 unit purchases if they don't get up to code on time?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It frightens me. Do they have a price point? I know ten homes were purchased for $200K. I don't like this one bit. People who are looking for a decent home to live in are getting shut out.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in highland park and can tell you that the scattered homes are in an area where most other standing homes are also in a state of ruin. Its not a surprise, however, that those large brick homes look just as liveable, even without windows, or doors. When I first started teaching in HP in 2005 these homes where the talk of the town. Residents were angered by the "little houses" as they called them. They were offended that homes like this were even built in Highland Park. There are very successful apartment communities that are of quality construction just scattered all over Highland Park, as well as nice communities tucked here and there. I believe that filler houses would have been much more successful, even "little houses". This community might even have worked if it had been fenced. Apparently those idiots who planned Northpointe didn't have a clue what they were doing. By the way, St. Benedict is now a charter school, conveniently names "Northpointe Academy". So the plan just might have worked if any brain power had been used...

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always wondered what those mini-tunnels were. Underground school passages, huh? I'd hate to see what's down there now.

As for the homes, I'm glad they're investigating, but I'd have to side with common sense here. The houses were poorly built, developed and maintained. The area that the accompanied was a good choice, but one can't help but to wonder how one say they didn't try to make it work.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5382
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall that when these prefab houses were built, a forum member tried to take photos and was chased off by the crew "building" (assembling) the houses...They used the excuse that the process was "proprietary"...This smelled fishy from day one.
Highland Park was also the epicenter of an earlier real estate scam in which a developer fixed up old houses and resold them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.