Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Oh, It's Just YPD spreading YP Propaganda again. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not the author...but I might as well have been. SE Michigan will be in serious trouble if we can't attract young talent into the region. And for right or for wrong, when people think about SE Michigan, they think about Detroit.

It's not enough to be attracting population, we need to be attracting our talent. The elite. The future leaders of the city and of the region.
And, not to be harsh, but right now it's atrocious.

Most of the under-30 professional population is leaving or have left. And those that are here are not really thrilled about being here. Many of them are here while waiting for their company can transfer them out of state, or until they take the New York bar exam, or because the residency lottery in medschool matched them here. What happens when a region loses its brightest and best? You end up with leadership like we have in the city limits.

Detroit, the city, isn't a leadership incubator. It's a leadership destroyer. Someone replied to me when I first came to the forum, saying that they were glad to have me, but that Detroit has a way of chewing up people like me and spitting them out. Well, if we don't fix this problem, the same thing ravaging the city will soon be ravaging the suburbs.

Someone else replied one of my earlier posts, saying "perhaps under-30s are overrated." Well...if they're overrated, it's definitely not in SE Michigan. I can't imagine our region being valuing young, non-manufacturing, highly educated, entrepreneurial talent any less than we already are.

Look at a population chart for the country. See that big bump called the baby boomers? The problems that will bankrupt Social Security and Medicare are going to be catastrophic for our region. We're already starting out way behind. And instead of growing our young population, we're shrinking it.

To all of you here on the forum, I implore you, we need to do what we need to do to retain and attract our young, educated talent. Even if it means that everyone else pays the price at first. If we fail to do so, then in 20 years, we're gonna have a huge vacuum of leadership. Except it's going to be in all of SE Michigan. And we already have one large city in our region that demonstrates what that looks like.

YPD
----------------------

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080820/OPINION 05/80820060

Well, let the second great exodus of the city begin.

To say that the City of Detroit is tainted or corrupt would be akin to gross negligence. Yes, I am just another voice of the thousands sick of defendant Kwame Kilpatrick’s dismantling of the city, but my voice matters none the less.

I am a recent university graduate. I am an entrepreneur. I am the coveted young professional talent Michigan so desperately needs to retain. My voice is a hundred thousand strong, from Detroit to Kalamazoo. We are the future of Michigan, we are the future of Detroit.

But I digress. To paint an accurate picture, you must first point out that the cream of the crop, those of us with talent, usually leave the city. In fact, we usually leave the state. Those of us with grit choose to remain.

The logic has always been simple: big fish in a little sea. Detroit has so much potential for improvement, it seems logical that anyone competent enough with a decent business plan can succeed. As anyone with a background in business will tell you, you just have to sell the idea. Sell the dream.

Detroit is a rare and beautiful city, and for awhile there was genuine momentum moving us forward, genuine progress.

I was sold. I was staying. I would be part of Kilpatrick’s Next Detroit, and I would bring my money, my friends, my employees, and they would bring their friends, a synergistic effect of collaboration, of success, and we would tell people Detroit really has changed, from Campus Martius and Woodward to the Riverfront, to the neighborhoods, to Bell Isle and beyond.

What do I tell people now? I've come to fear that doing business in Detroit is a farce. It requires what would seem to be a complete lack of morals and ethics. To those of you who are not corrupt, I apologize, but understand that this is the generalization, this is the perception that people across the region, state, and country see. Detroit’s perception is that of a city where every branch of government seems like it’s bought and paid for.

I'm talking the Mayor’s office, Detroit City Council, Detroit Public Schools, Detroit Police Department, Detroit Water and Sewer Depatment - all under investigation by the FBI. Well, if the City of Detroit doesn’t want my morals and ethics, do they deserve my taxes and employees?

I will rejoice the day someone actually cleans this city of its corruption. I will truly be ecstatic, though, when the good people of Detroit and her suburbs finally realize that we as a region need unity to compete with other cities. Purists who maintain the suburbs should play no role in Detroit are only interested in keeping Detroit as it is: corrupt.

They have no interest in seeing Metro Detroit as a global competitor. I would like to publicly commend Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, Lt. Walter Gozwon, Lt. Michael Kearns, Gary Brown, and all the rest of the heroes of the region for standing up and doing the right thing. If Gov. Jennifer Granholm were even half serious about retaining young professional talent within the State of Michigan and her largest economic region, Metro Detroit, I would plead with her to act with the utmost urgency in removing Kilpatrick and his corrupt appointees.

Believe me, just as you would believe the analysts who will someday report this; that the current scandals have had a measurable effect on so many fronts, the least of which is the young professionals eager to stay and live and work in Metro Detroit.

James Macon, 25, grew up in Grosse Pointe Farms and lived in Detroit in 2003 while attending Wayne State University. He graduated from Western Michigan University in 2008 with B.S. in psychology and business. In 2004 he started a Detroit franchise of College Pro Painters. In 2008 he incorporated Project Professional Michigan, a nonprofit organization aimed at developing, producing, and retaining young professional talent within the state. He is currently serving as managing director. He can be reached at Project.ProfessionalMichigan@g mail.com

(Message edited by youngprofessionaldetroiter on August 20, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could of told you that. Happens every year sometime after graduation too.

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Well, yeah. The question is whether or not we here are interested in stopping it from happening.

The Eastside Memories Megathread has 6645 messages right now. There are 4800 messages about St. Jude. (which, by the way, is cool...I went to St. Jude for 3 years)

What frustrates me is that we have nowhere near that much interest or advocacy for attracting business, regional cooperation, attracting talent, or getting to understand how we can have world class universities right in our backyard and still lose talent.

I guess, it doesn't bother me that there's a problem. I am ok with problems. We can work with problems. What bothers me is the same thing that bothers so many of us on the forum about apathy in the city of Detroit in getting a successful recall effort. (Yes, I know there is one...and as soon as I change my residency to the city, I'll sign it, too.)

There seems to be a general apathy in the region about keeping our brightest and best. We can work with problems. We can not solve anything with apathy.

People have been telling me for years...once you get into your late 20s, people will start coming back to start their families and be closer to their extended family.

That's not happening anymore and doesn't look to be for awhile.

YPD

(Message edited by youngprofessionaldetroiter on August 20, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3435
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HUH!?

Is what I've been saying all along finally not exiting out the other ear? :-)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey DRise...I always knew there were problems. I guess I was just delusional enough to believe that people were more interested in solving them than reminiscing about how things used to be.

I'm not going anywhere, so I might as well stick it out and see how it all ends up :-)

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not the author...but I might as well have been." -- aw thats cute, he's a better editor though: he summed up your entire contribution to this site in a simple letter. Maybe you can take his position at his non-profit when he leaves Detroit.

I'm young and educated and leaving next week. A shortage of jobs coupled with a less than desirable quality of life has sent me looking elsewhere.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not going anywhere, so I might as well stick it out and see how it all ends up

That's all we can do. Unless you have enough political or business power, one person can't do much.

BTW, you know the future is bleak when a big city school district is having a difficult time recruiting children.

But I will say this, if the tip of the boat begins to sink under water, I'm outta here. :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 20, 2008)

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not the author...but I might as well have been." -- aw thats cute, he's a better editor though: he summed up your entire contribution to this site in a simple letter. Maybe you can take his position at his non-profit when he leaves Detroit.

Sorry to see you go. And I do understand why you're leaving. I'm just not sure why I sense your hostility. What's up?

YPD

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although you see many commercials about how Michigan is a great state to do business and travel to etc.
IT IS, I know it is and I love it here.
But the fact is, that as students graduate from Michigan colleges, they are already brainwashed by years of family, peers, media and others in their sub conscience that Michigan is not the place to be successful in their future career. Not even to mention Detroit's problems.

Entrepreneurs in the NEW economy aren't all thrilled by all the government red tape and maze of confusion trying to get all the latest DEALS on tax breaks etc in starting a business.

It is too bureaucratic overall for the average person for a small business. This state is focused on getting LARGE corporations and auto suppliers (for the most part).

There is a brain drain in this State and I would love nothing more than college grads to stay. But I don't own a corporation to hire them or have a influential government job to change the situation. Until Lansing focuses on an equal playing field for all without the tax games it will continue.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This region sucks and must be turned around immediately in order to make the changes to solidify a successful future.

You can bet your bottom, all the new automotive factories that are being built out of state, that those states are now offering, or at least striving to, offer the specialized education that the universities in our back yard have been offering for years.

It's the ripple effect, starting with Detroit as the core. To keep the young crowd here, there must be jobs. There are certainly no manufacturing jobs, those are out of state. The white collar jobs are leaving too by way cutbacks at the Detroit Three and suppliers moving or closing up shop. Not to mention what is here...with out automotive we're done. I have three siblings, 2 of which are out of state. They just moved with in the last 2 years...why, no jobs. My sister is a elementary teacher (Florida) and my brother is a chemist (Virginia). If I was a few years younger I would look to move, as there is nothing to keep me here other than family.

Don't get me wrong, I was born and raised in Detroit Proper, went to St. Jude. I now work in Detroit, right smack dab in downtown. I love Detroit and the rich history it has. I am a supporter of this forum and the future of our city. I'm just citing my opinion and thoughts...I want to see my great city strive. I guess the good news all we can do is improve. Now who is going to lead us in that crusade?

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What do I tell people now? I've come to fear that doing business in Detroit is a farce. It requires what would seem to be a complete lack of morals and ethics. To those of you who are not corrupt, I apologize, but understand that this is the generalization, this is the perception that people across the region, state, and country see. Detroit’s perception is that of a city where every branch of government seems like it’s bought and paid for."

Aren't we taking ourselves a little too seriously? In working with multi-national corporations, international clients and corporate leaders on a daily basis, no one has raised this mayor situation upon discovering that our central business operations are located in Detroit. Yeah - this current situation sucks, but, come on, most people have bigger things on their mind than the corruption and self serving interests of Detroit's politicians. And if your ego is so fragile that you cannot deal with a question about it and acknowledge that, yeah, things kind of suck right now, then maybe you should consider leaving to a place where all is perfect and politicians serve the interests of their constituents, that is, if such a place exists...

Personally, I look at this whole situation as one nice, fat house cleaning that is well overdue. Get rid of the rats, the roaches, the termites and the parasites. Make everything nice and clean for the new ones...

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 683
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now who is going to lead us in that crusade?"

Um, how about you? Part of the problem we have in Detroit is that we're always looking for a savior to rescue us whether it be Archer or Bing or Penske. Heck, wasn't Kwame heralded as the bright young man who was going to move the city forward. Even in the suburbs, there's the cult of L. Brooks Patterson as if nothing happens without his involvement. Stop waiting for a crusader to lead the way. We all know what needs to be done. Within our little slice of the world, we need to start walking the walk, not just talking the talk. If you're looking for a savior, go to church. Otherwise, stop waiting and start working harder.

(Message edited by Novine on August 21, 2008)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12120
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But the fact is, that as students graduate from Michigan colleges, they are already brainwashed by years of family, peers, media and others in their sub conscience that Michigan is not the place to be successful in their future career. Not even to mention Detroit's problems.

Have you recently been looking for a career after college in Michigan. To say that people are leaving due to brainwashing is silly. Simple fact fo the matter the jobs are not here.

Let's not stick our hand in the sand and say everything is perfect here.

Jt1

Post Number: 12121
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Personally, I look at this whole situation as one nice, fat house cleaning that is well overdue. Get rid of the rats, the roaches, the termites and the parasites.

Exactly

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't bother me that my fellow graduates mostly left the state. What bothers me is that those who did leave have received many more opportunities than those who stayed.

You have to work harder in Detroit, and that's just it. Of course, if the strong really do survive, then those Detroiters that can conquer their adversity, should be among the strongest and most successful people in the country, and possibly in the world.

YPD, I hope to see you at the next Open City meeting... :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13912
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is that Ciao, Chow?!

bummer...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3443
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Novine, but it's just the world we live in.

In every huge step in history, there was always some "savior" that stood out from the rest.

I'm sure everyone doing their part & playing by the books.

However, it's always the leader (who is usually a person with enough political influence or money) that they throw flowers at.

Sure we can do right in our individual lives, but it won't be enough to correct the wrong of nearly 1 million people, a general perception & a broken government system.

If MLK didn't lead the March on Washington & Rosa Parks stood up from her seat, then times could be much different today.

Remember, Christopher Columbs was thne ones that went to the government & begged them to approve his voyage the Atlantic Ocean, not his crew (although sure they helped).

Chow

Post Number: 487
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too many jobs for architects around here. I am heading west and north.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand that, "There are no jobs here". I think it's true is some cases, but others just B.S. I think people just need to be more agressive, the No Job thing is just mental right now. It is too much, "There are no jobs that I want right now", going around. Everyone has to start somewhere. People are retiring daily, there are many feilds hiring people just need to step out of their comfort zone and go for jobs that migh not suit them at first, but may work for them in the long run. Detroit has alot to offer in other fields than the Auto Industry.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heading west and north? Are you splitting yourself in two?

Jt1

Post Number: 12123
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't understand that, "There are no jobs here". I think it's true is some cases, but others just B.S. I think people just need to be more agressive, the No Job thing is just mental right now. It is too much, "There are no jobs that I want right now", going around. Everyone has to start somewhere. People are retiring daily, there are many feilds hiring people just need to step out of their comfort zone and go for jobs that migh not suit them at first, but may work for them in the long run. Detroit has alot to offer in other fields than the Auto Industry.

Yes and no. It depends upon fair pay and your field. To put it in perspective. I recently was looking for a job (decided to stay where I was due to lack of propspects locally). For every callback I received or request for interview I saw a ratio of about 5:1 for Chicago and the saem for DC compared to here.

There are jobs but there are less careers if that makes sense. Most driven young people are looking for careers, not jobs which is a big difference between out market and the market in other major metro areas.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7218
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Heading west and north? Are you splitting yourself in two?

Based on his schizophrenic tirade on the theatre thread I do believe he is...

Chow

Post Number: 488
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Heading west and north? Are you splitting yourself in two?"

its a vector, put the two together smartass.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13919
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where does that get you...Northville? Lansing?

Heh...I keed, I keed...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chow might be becoming a Canuck - Calgary? :-) Chow becoming an oilman?

This could be a fun game.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure this young, entrepreneur leadership cream of the crop model is valid for turning around Detroit and Michigan.

In the first place, there are plenty of opportunities for people to start businesses in Michigan. In times of economic despair there are plenty of opportunities to do things with a better and more innovative business model. If people graduate from UM, WSU, OU, MSU, etc., and want to start a business, they can do so here already. I don't believe they move out of state to start a business if there are existing resources to start a business in the given industry here.

Secondly, I don't think most recent college graduates want to move out of state. If there are jobs for them, they'll stay. The cream of the crop has even more opportunity to stay here because they'll get hired before the mediocre graduates, forcing the mediocre graduates to move out of state.

Third, I don't see that having a pool of cream of the crop young entrepreneurs on hand sitting on their thumbs is going to attract businesses to locate here. There are certain skill sets that are needed for certain industries, that is for sure. But a generalized young leadership cream of the crop entrepreneur skill set? I doubt it. These people will go to where the opportunities are. If there are opportunities here they will stay for them.

I would be interested in seeing good research that demonstrates a causal link between a pool of young professional cream of the crop leader-entrepreneurs and job creation. I haven't seen any good research on this. There are geographic areas where there may be a relation but once you control for other regional characteristics I am not sure the correlation remains.

Further, there are a number of construct validity problems with this whole concept of entrepreneurship.

I agree with a previous post that says this young professional entrepreneurship cream of the crop model is overrated.

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I would be interested in seeing good research that demonstrates a causal link between a pool of young professional cream of the crop leader-entrepreneurs and job creation. I haven't seen any good research on this. There are geographic areas where there may be a relation but once you control for other regional characteristics I am not sure the correlation remains.

Further, there are a number of construct validity problems with this whole concept of entrepreneurship.

I agree with a previous post that says this young professional entrepreneurship cream of the crop model is overrated."
--------------------

I agree with much of what your saying here, but I think some of it is worth some discussion.

First, I believe (but can not prove with data), that our younger employees are more interested in working in fields more related to the new economy -- jobs in the service sectors and the technology sectors. Even at a state level, there is this incredible culture of wanting to make manufacturing the way of life for Michigan. I don't believe we can rely on that the way we've used to. This is not going to work.

For example, I had lunch yesterday with a 30-year-old business owner who has a web-based business producing over 1 million a year in revenue. He is going to move his point-of-sale servers to Nevada, where the Michigan MBT cannot take all of his profits. He would like to remain here and keep his operations here, but most of his contacts in his industry are tired of fighting with the MEDC and our manufacturing-obsessed culture.

Second, most recent college graduates do want to move out of state. Many are moving for jobs...but most are leaving just because Michigan isn't all that great a place to be. Under 35s choose lifestyle over money in a heartbeat. Don't believe me? I'm confident that you could pick any 50 graduating university seniors and ask them if they would rather live in Chicago or Michigan, assuming they could get a job in either place. I bet at least 80% say Chicago. But it goes further...one thing about staying in Detroit is that your barriers to advancement are so much less because there is so much less than in New York or Chicago. Does that matter? No. It's not the money.

Lastly, there is an intangible value to the new generation. They aren't jaded by the BS that's taken place over the last 40 years here in SE Michigan. They're at least willing to give Detroit a shot. I hate to say it, but I feel like most (not all) of the region over 50 and 60 wrote off the City back in the 80s.

I'm not saying that this young professional model is the key to turning around Michigan (or Detroit) What I'm saying is that failing to address it will cause us to fail.

YPD

Jt1

Post Number: 12124
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am not sure this young, entrepreneur leadership cream of the crop model is valid for turning around Detroit and Michigan.

Turn around? No. Improve? Yes. Very rarely does entrepreneurship turn around an area. It is a supplement that may make it better.

quote:

In the first place, there are plenty of opportunities for people to start businesses in Michigan. In times of economic despair there are plenty of opportunities to do things with a better and more innovative business model. If people graduate from UM, WSU, OU, MSU, etc., and want to start a business, they can do so here already. I don't believe they move out of state to start a business if there are existing resources to start a business in the given industry here.

Depends upon the type of business. Many small businesses rely on a local customer base and the simple fact of the matter is that there is less disposable income in SE Michigan than in most metro areas. Just a side effect of our horrid economy.

quote:

Secondly, I don't think most recent college graduates want to move out of state. If there are jobs for them, they'll stay.

I don’t want this to sound condescending but how many recent alum from the state’s top Universities do you know? That statement is not factual given the state of Michigan economically, socially, etc.

quote:

The cream of the crop has even more opportunity to stay here because they'll get hired before the mediocre graduates, forcing the mediocre graduates to move out of state.

Wrong. The top jobs in most fields are out of state and that is what the top are going after. Michigan is left with the mediocre. Engineering was a previous exception but not anymore. Look at anyone studying finance, architecture, economics, etc. Michigan, in very few instances will attract or retain the top because the top companies,or perceived top opportunities are not here. That is a fact. A very unfortunate one, but one nonetheless.

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don’t want this to sound condescending but how many recent alum from the state’s top Universities do you know? That statement is not factual given the state of Michigan economically, socially, etc."

Yeah, I didn't want to come off too harsh, but I agree on this too. Every month, 2 or 3 people I know leave Detroit to move out of Michigan. Usually to Chicago or New York. Sometimes LA.

Get off of DYes and hangout on Facebook for a little bit. See for yourself. Again, I'm not saying that yuppies are gonna save Michigan. I'm saying that you can't do it without them, and that at a cultural level, there's something we as a community do to drive them away.

YPD

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our company here in Baltimore just hired our fifth former Michigander in the past five months. I asked our most recent arrival if she considered working in the Detroit area. She just laughed and said it wasn't worth it. Hope things change.

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wrong. The top jobs in most fields are out of state and that is what the top are going after. Michigan is left with the mediocre. Engineering was a previous exception but not anymore. Look at anyone studying finance, architecture, economics, etc. Michigan, in very few instances will attract or retain the top because the top companies,or perceived top opportunities are not here. That is a fact. A very unfortunate one, but one nonetheless."

Here's a story...a few months ago I was at an presentation where one of our head investment strategists came to talk about problems in the financial sector. As a way of acquainting himself with the group, he talked about how he graduated from Indiana University and got one of the most coveted entry level jobs in the banking industry -- a placement at NBD, which was apparently the breeding ground for the brightest and best in banking back then.

Me and all my friends looked around and said, "who the hell is NBD?"

That's what we're fighting here. Things have changed, and I feel like middle, upper management, and a lot of people need a big wake up call.

YPD

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who knows quite a few entrepreneurs under 30 who have raised millions of dollars (over 20m in total), I can attest that they do not always sit on their hands.

But what was a condition of the financing? The investors told them they had to leave the state, due to the negative climate and inability to find qualified talent.

50 brains in one fell swoop, gone.

This happens quite a bit.

Frankg

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't doubt that many bright young people leave Detroit and Michigan. They always have. I remember back in the early 1980's people were moving to Texas in droves, that emigration ended once the economy picked up here. Further, there used to be a lot more opportunities in Detroit, when Detroit was the 4th largest city in the US. Now that it is 11th largest there are far fewer opportunities here, that is why people have to leave. My only point with this is that IF people have opportunity here they will tend to stay here.

I am not familiar with the top UM, MSU grads, but most of my experience with OU students is that most of them want to stay in Michigan, but many of them will leave if they have to in order to find a job.

I am all for making Detroit and Michigan more culturally appealing to young professionals. I just see it more as a quality of life issue and less an economic one.

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. When was Detroit the 4th largest city in the US?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the U.S. Census reports, 1950 at 1.8 million and change.

Frankg

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in second grade (1967) it had already dropped to #5 in the nation. I believe it was 4th sometime in the 1950's.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 687
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1920 - 1940

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L argest_cities_in_the_United_St ates_by_population_by_decade

Frankg

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to that link, Detroit was #4 in the 1920, 1930, and 1940. It appears to have been #5 throughout the 1950's.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Frank. My brain remembered 1950 as the point of the highest capita census at 1.8 mil, but we had dropped down to #5 at that point.

Frankg

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, well I was wrong, too, I thought we were # 4 in the 1950's-1960's time frame. It turns out it was earlier that Detroit was #4.

I still remember the lecture my second grade teacher giving about how Detroit was going to grow to be #4 again (and how we were going to get the metric system).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gone--and yes, I haven't even felt the need to keep up with the goings on in Detroit. Haven't seen me post in a while? I'm losing Detroit and Detroit is losing me. I was resolved to the fact that Detroit won't give me employment when I moved south. Sure do miss lots of friends, the allure of the city, and even its grittiness. People don’t move out of Detroit because they think that Detroit sucks. No, in fact Detroit has quite a bit more to offer than many other up and coming cities, except for that one all (and arguably most) important aspect—employment. Sure there is a lot of ‘opportunity.’ A lot of it! Who’s going to tap it? Generations now at this point have left the city in shambles and the region is not in much better shape. Detroit has a place in the world, but policies at the federal level have missed this opportunity. Somebody do something! Anything! Please! I’m going to miss this city when there is nothing left.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

frankg, you can't underestimate how important keeping young talent is.

i graduated from high school 5 years ago. i really don't keep up with that many people from high school, but i know only 1 person who is still in michigan. the rest are in nyc, cali, utah, chicago, etc. It isn't necessarily that we need entrepreneurs to save detroit's economy... it's that we need people just to have an economy! every college grad who leaves is like 3 people leaving, because they are taking their future spouse and children with them. this is a mass exodous. sure, we've got plenty of old people keeping our population up for now, but we are damn near losing an entire generation and those old people will die off.

In any city, people leaving for another area of the country is inevitable. This has to be made up for by bringing people from other areas of the country. Detroit is currently doing a piss poor job at doing this. One big problem is that detroit has no big companies that people long to work for (ie Google, NBC, Microsoft, Oracle, Coke, etc). what big companies does detroit have outside of the big 3 (cuz lets face it, no one from outside michigan thinks the big 3 are worth a damn or that they will still exist in 5 years. this may not be true, but that's what people think)? No one outside of michigan is seeking out michigan companies to work for, and michigan companies aren't seeking talent from outside michigan either.

my last year at Purdue i attended the business school career fair, which attracted about 250 companies. how many companies did i see from michigan, a state that borders indiana? one. Ford was looking for accountants.

attracting and retaining young talent should be a top priority for detroit and all of michigan. attracting talent requires jobs, but also a vibrant downtown (and don't tell me detroit has one. sure it's getting better but it has a long way to go before it can compete with other cities) with lots of entertainment and mass transit. people also need to feel safe (note i said FEEL safe, not be safe).

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so I think I'm considered in the entrepreneur group, involved in three start-ups, and speculating on more.

Now here's my problem; These three start-ups were choice, because they did not need much start-up capitol. Me and a few others were able to pay for them all by ourselves. Now, the problem comes in with bigger projects that you need investors for. My original plans were bigger, and realistic. What I quickly realized while making my business plans, was that I had to justify Michigan. Anyone with money is going to ask you why you chose the choices you made. Loyalty to your home state/city doesn't cut it. It actually makes you look bad.

Opening... oh lets say a small cafe (just for example), you have to prove that Detroit is the best place for your cafe. When comparing to other cities, you realize Detroit is not nearly as profitably a location as elsewhere. In fact, even if you only look locally, you quickly realize Detroit doesn't even make sense as a location when compared to many of it's suburbs.

So what happens is, you leave Detroit, get good funding, and open elsewhere... or, you end up like me, attempting to come up with most of the funding yourself, and starting at a much lower level.

On a side note, all the incubators, start-up assistance programs, tax breaks, expos, better street vendor laws, the Internet, cheap rent, and places like Tech Town and the Russell Bazaar, are all really making it possible for young people to finance themselves. That is kind of good news, depending on how you look at it. While many business owners are thrilled to see more entrepreneurs entering the scene, many others are not. Many fear that they will take their business (those places who are so against street vending, state this as their reason), and be able to operate more efficiently, and drive them out of town.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SofD,

if there is demand, and you can prove this to your investors, you should have no trouble selling the city. Remember, is there a market for the service or product? Simple question. Investors like money--they want to make it. Show them how they are going to make them money and do it--they will be happy and you will be happy.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not as easy as you make it sound. Assuming you are competing against many other entrepreneurs and business plans for the investor's capitol, it is not simply proving you can make them money.

You are competing...

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is about risk. If they feel that there is too much risk for their liking then yes, your correct. Perhaps they feel there is to much risk even if you believe the outcome will be positive.

I was also unaware of your competition with others in the same geographical area.

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Investors like money--they want to make it. Show them how they are going to make them money and do it--they will be happy and you will be happy."

"It is about risk. If they feel that there is too much risk for their liking then yes, your correct. Perhaps they feel there is to much risk even if you believe the outcome will be positive. "

You guys are close, I think. It's not just about risk. It's about PERCEIVED risk. What I mean by that is that Detroit has a risk premium that's through the roof, in comparison to the suburbs. That's why properties sell for $1. I know hundreds of people who could make money on redeveloping property, but the learning curve of getting permits, finding contractors, ensuring security...it's really high.

The only way you eliminate PERCEIVED risk is by increasing FAMILIARITY. That's why I'm so big on bringing young professionals back into the city. If they live there for 3-5 years, they'll become more acquainted with the city, understand it more, understand how things work, and the nitty gritty of "getting things done".

People want to invest in Detroit. And the money is definitely there...a killing could be made with how inexpensive property is right now. Even with all the risks.

I mean, how risky can a property be if all you owe is back taxes an $1 to purchase it?

The answer: Really risky, if you're not familiar with the neighborhood...or are able to distinguish between the parts of Detroit that are safer than others...etc.

Suburbans (read: outside investors with capital to invest) usually don't know enough about to Detroit to know that Boston-Edison is different from DelRay. Or that Indian Village is different from Corktown. So, they just hold on to their money.

Yes, we need to work on reducing the ACTUAL risks of investing here...crime, blight, all the things we talk about everyday on this forum. But there's a huge opportunity to improve the city just by reducing PERCEIVED risks. And in my mind, the quickest way to do that (5-10 years) is by starting with a new generation of Detroiters who are unphased by the nonsense of the past, bringing them into the city, and having trust rebuilt.

YPD

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7221
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how in 1900 Detroit was the 14th largest city in the USA, pop. 293,000.

Back then we were behind such cities such as Cleveland, St. Louis, Cincinnati and Baltimore.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem of losing the most important resources Detroit has are staring everyone right in the face but no one will put the "right" label on it for fear of the storm of criticism associated with it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.