Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Kym Worthy's home in foreclosure. » Archive through August 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bite in the rear. She says she was trying to work things out with Countrywide, but time ran out.

bummer.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080820/NEW S01/80820065

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is any part of our local government free of corruption?

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why/how does her house being in foreclosure have to do with corruption? Housing issues are a NATIONAL crises...and a CATASTROPHE in metro Detroit....

Looks like Countywide is an equal opportunity mortgage predator....

A tidbit: somebody explained to me that the term "mortgage" means DEATHGRIP.... Wow...

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because she hasn't paid back taxes and her financial situation would be cause for dismissal from some jobs. Corruption may not be the word, but it certainly doesn't paint her in a good light.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, if her house WASN'T in foreclosure, and met the criteria for foreclosure, then you could call her corrupt. The fact that she is experiencing what millions of other Americans are speaks in favor od her honesty.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan55 answered more wisely than I would have. I saw only a news clip about her home's foreclosure. I didn't read/hear that the foreclosure was due to back taxes.... But then again, like Alan said, she AIN'T alone....

And apparently poor stewardship is punishable in the corporate sector, it does not appear to be so in the public sector, ergo KK and his deputy, who DECLARED BANKRUPTCY! In all caps due to the absurdity of it all....

(Message edited by FoxyScholar on August 20, 2008)

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see why her financial problems would cause her to lose her job. She's not a banker or broker or in any type of financial career making decisions on others finances.

All this shows is that she's one of the few in Detroit not on Kwame's RICO plan. I still respect her and pray for her to get through this. I have more respect for her than someone like Beatty who made over $140k and uses public funds meant for low income people to buy her house. Who's paying HER mortgage? Because with no job and no savings, her house should be in foreclosure too. Makes you wonder!

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I didn't read/hear that the foreclosure was due tback taxes"

Read the link posted by Gnome. And saying "is any part of our local government free of corruption" hardly frees Kilpatrick and his crew from not being corrupt AS WELL. Read my caps...

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

non-news

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If non-payment of back taxes was cited, fine... I believe it. I stated that I barely saw a news clip....it wasn't to imply that just because I didn't read it doesn't mean it's not the case.

Ok.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonder if she now feels Detroiter's are OVERTAXED?

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about paying your taxes, living within your means and paying the bills?

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOOOoooooooooo NOT THAT!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pot, meet Kettle. :-)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What about paying your taxes, living within your means and paying the bills?

Good in theory but with peoples salaries remaining stagnant or lowering and energy costs skyrocketing our "means" ain't what they used to be. It is real easy to stand back and judge without knowing the full story.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby, the woman should have got a fixed mortgage rate.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldnt tell from the poorly investigated/written article, but was the house her primary residence or a rental property or some other property she has been trying to sell?

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is pretty simple, DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU MAKE.

Gumby

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I agree (I got one on my house just before the market crashed) but I was commenting on the fact that Stinger4me and many other people like him find it easier to see things as black and white and seem to leave out the extenuating circumstances that make up reality.

Stinger4me I am not trying to pick on you as you may have just been making an off the cuff remark or even a joke, so no harm meant.

Gumby

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On second thought Stinger4me after your last statement it is obvious that you don't look at all the circumstances involved so your arrogance has been shown.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is pretty simple, DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU MAKE"

Its not always that simple especially if you have a mortgage that's not a fixed rate. Any kind of financial set-back can send you reeling. That along with increase taxes and insurance can really hit one hard. And while that is happening you see the worth of your home going down until you owe more on it than its worth on the open market.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is pretty simple, DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU MAKE"

Well, yes, but you have all those credit card companies giving you free money... so it's easy to spend more than you make. Especially sense parents seem to be teaching squat to their kids about finances (many are in the same boat their kids are in, or worse).

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh... on a funny side note to the housing crisis in general...

TBS has been showing a bunch of Bernie Mack Show reruns (he was a great comedian). However, one show has him talking about how he got clobbered in the stock market, and he urges investors to invest in real estate. He talks about it being the best move you can make... investing in your house. Very interesting to say the least.

It definitely got me thinking, how many shows and books (many not sitcoms, but actually considered reputable financial advice givers) urged their audience to buy real estate... as your home is your best asset (is your home even REALLY an asset at all?). It adds so much irony to the whole mess. The fact that anyone notable is having a problem, should not surprise anyone, because of this kind of stuff.

We were required to read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" in high school... another giver of great advice... :-(

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a rule when it comes to investing. If I lose a nickel it was a bad investment. The house I exempt from this because eventually it will be paid for. I also have and will never take an ARM. Countrywide has proved that point with their predatory lending

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but if you are even, or even don't make very much, it was still a bad investment...

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oprah said never be afraid to invest in your house. It's always a good investment.

Property taxes in Detroit are stifling.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. My property taxes are lower than grosse pointe, ferndale or pleasant ridge here in Indian village thanks in part to kwamster.
2. Worthy's situation is kinda our business... In a similar fashion to previous arguments about kwame's ability to do his job, that's a pretty disruptive personal situation for someone with an important job, and
3. As much as I hate embarassing stories like this (I feel for her... This could happen to me), it does speak to her intelligence and organizational skills. I mean she's an attorney for Christ sakes... Read contracts before you sign them!

(Message edited by quinn on August 21, 2008)

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever the specific circumstance may be, she obviously lacks the ability to manage her own finances. What does that say about her ability to do her job as prosecutor ?

Does it speak to her credibility ?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am disappointed in Kym Worthy and her inability to keep her home. I would think that she would be a more responsible person. She certainly must make a substantial income and I would like to know the circumstances of just how this happened. It doesn't make her a bad person in any sense of the word, but she is in the public eye, more now than ever, and she should be totally unimpeachable.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we don't know all the facts, we shouldn't sit in judgement. On the surface it seems like something of a black eye for her, but at least she didn't steal anyone elses, or the cities money to pay for her problems, unlike someone else we know. I hope she can get it all worked out. There is a lot of this going around...she is not alone, but it is a shame.