Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Seldom Blues « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Secondndfloorwalkup
Username: Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been invited to join a few friends at Seldom Blues next month. I have never been.

I have a few questions.

Can you wear dressy jeans there?

Whats your favorite dinner/drink there?

I did do a search on this and didnt find the answers I was looking for, can anyone help.

We are also seein Cheech and Chong that night, is the theatre in a decent neighborhood?

Will we have any trouble getting a cab from dinner to the show?

Thanks

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Jeans may be too casual for the place.
2. I don't drink, but I don't think they have Pabst or Old Millwaukee.
3. There is a movie theater in the building, see if they are showing it.
4. No need for a cab.

Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ew, I dont drink such nasty beer

We are seeing Cheech and Chong at the Flimore? I think? I know we need a cab to get there

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A cab? Take the PM and then walk 1 block.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seldom Blues is in the GM Building and I would recommend the Theatre thats there. All u have to do is catch the elevator, no cab needed.

It is supposed to fine dining...I guess? But, it is pretty casual, unless u go on a Friday night and you will usually have the Happy Hour crowd that are usually professionals.

As far as drinks are concerned, I can't make any recommendations, I have never really been one to inquire about a restaurants house specials.

All in all, it is pretty nice but, kind of pricey for in my opinion for what it is (2 quarter sized crabcake appetizzers are like $15)? You may want to hit up the food court first which is down the hall before u go..lol!

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW welcome to DY.

Also, is Cheech and Chong a play? If it is at the Filmore you may also consider the People Mover.

Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys dont know who Cheech and Chong are? Cheech Martin and Tommy Chong?

Together again after 30 years, doing a comedy tour?

Its Sept 20th at the Flimore

I dont really know where the Flimore more is, I diddnt know the PM stopped by there.

So you dont think dressy jeans will work at SB?
Darn, I really dont want to buy a new pair of pants

Thanks for the welcome!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow. Cheech and Chong together, live? And you are going? I am envious.

Will there be doobage?

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't buy a new pair of jeans..its not necessary.

There is a PM stop within walking distance.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Together again after 30 years, doing a comedy tour?

I think that's the key to their question. Most of them weren't even born then.

The Fillmore is Next to the Fox Theater. (It used to be the State theater.) It's across Woodward from Comerica park. The Grand Circus Park Sation is 2 blocks from the Fillmore.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4921
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, I'm over 40, know full well who Cheech and Chong are, and still had no idea they were back together touring. I just assumed he was going to see one of the movies.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only been to the bar at Seldom Blues - great view - so I can only comment on the drinks. They made a nice Vodka Gimlet - almost positive I had Belvedere - and my wife had a nice Shiraz. Again, we haven't eaten there, but we've been very impressed with the service and ambiance the few times we drank there.

As for jeans, I'm pretty sure you can wear a dressy pair there. It is upscale, but a nice pair of jeans seems acceptable at nice places these days.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also note that one block west (of the Filmore) you'll find Park Bar, Cliff Bell's, Centaur and Town Pump... all great bars.

I grew up with Cheech and Chong in the nineties. My friends and I would watch Up in Smoke religiously... curious to see what their act is like now that Cheech is a square.

(Message edited by beatsworking on August 21, 2008)

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would call SB and check about the jeans, when we ate there it was fabulous but I am not sure about jeans. Definitely take the PM to Grand Circus and walk the 2 blocks. Try out Proof on Woodward or the other bars mentioned for an after show quaff.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they were back together, but I just assumed it was for a movie, sorry.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

secondfloorwalkup,

you are chastising us for not knowing who Cheech and Chong are but you don't even know what Cheech's last name is.

his name is Cheech Marin. there is no T anywhere in that name. Marin, pronounced kinda like "marine", only spanish. Cheech Marin. or if you are a gringo, it would be pronounced cheech mare-inn. like a female horse, and a small country hotel.

i am in my 20's and i am well acquainted with Cheech and Chong's body of work. yet i too did not know what they'd be doing at the Fillmore. that's cool that they are performing again.

i remember i saw Tommy Chong do an appearance on the Colbert Report about a year ago. he looked pretty healthy, and hilarious as always. good to see the old potheads are keeping busy.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, take the People Mover; Renaissance Center Station to the Grand Circus Park Station.

Also, if you would prefer a cab, you can usually "hale one" at the Renaissance Center's Marriott Entrance (it's on the West side of the building). You may be able to simply find one outside the Fillmore or Fox right after the show, but you might have to call for one to pick you up after. It's iffy. Get the cab companies number on the way over, from your cabbie (or printed on the side of the cab). They usually take about fifteen minutes to respond in the CBD.

In fact, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to get a cab number for the CBD in your phone, "just in case" something does go wrong, or you get turned around somehow. It's just good to have.

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd Floor,

If you want to keep your jeans, you probably want to go Cliff Bells. It, for the most part, has better Jazz than Seldom Blues and has a more relaxed atmosphere. It's located right behind the Fillmore, and drinks are cheaper. Cliff Bells is still really classy; not a dump whatsoever.

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe your friends would agree to meet you for dinner at Small Plates or Detroit Beer Company on Broadway. You could park in the Opera House parking garage, and get good food (and drinks).
Then you could walk to the Fillmore -- about a block and a half away. It will be a safe walk before and after the show.

If you eat at Seldom Blues, you would need to take the People Mover (and still walk a block to the Fillmore) ... and you'd have to take the PM back to your car after the show.

I might want to see Cheech & Chong myself. I live a block from the Fillmore.

Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any on-line maps of the PM stops?

We are staying the night at the RenCen and reservations have already been made for Seldom Blues, so we are leaving the car there, no driving that night

How late does the PM run?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3049
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thepeoplemover.com

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8349
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you want to keep your jeans, you probably want to go Cliff Bells.

No food at Cliff Bell's.. YET. They are building their kitchen.

However... SCHWARMA! Needn't say more.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, jeans should work as long as you dress them up with nicer shoes, shirt, etc.

I like the food there okay, but it definitely leans to the pricey. Last time I went, I stuck to soup and appetizers (seafood chowder was pretty good...calimari was generous, if just good). Worth going on occasion for the ambience and views.

Enjoy!

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I remember about Cheech and Chong is the Fish smoking a fatty. I don't know which movie that was but that was some funny stuff right there.

I agree jeans should work.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop was being nice when he said it has better Jazz. Seldom blues tends to program bands that are more adult contemperary (aka Smooth jazz). Cliffs is a great hang. If you ever get a chance to hear The Scott Gwinnell Jazz Orchestra you will be in for a treat. But then again: I like Big Bands and I can not lie. Oh my gawd Becky; did you see the size of his band?

Cheech and Chong should be great. Do tell...how will you "prepare" for the concert?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally, unless a place specifies that men should wear coats, you can get away with a dressy pair of jeans, PROVIDED you do not wear tennis shoes (not even black tennis shoes) and you wear at least a button down shirt, if not also paired with a blazer.

Jeans + dress shoes + blazer = you're in
Jeans + tennis shoes + t-shirt = denied

Again, if they require coats, you better forget jeans.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seldom Blues?

Ah, Kenny Wayne on Sunday, Jason Bonham is playing drums for Foreigner tonite, Allman Bros is soon... George Thorogood with I forget who.. The Who, naturally... another cataclysmic ending to Summer D '08. And I don't even read newspapers. Too much! Plus the Dally, and the Hamtown ruckus... plus open mics... and also trimming tree-limbs for fifty bucks! Yeah! And I have been dropped that ZZTop is playing soon as well? Good lawdy Miss Lawdy, I jus' put the coon tune on this bee! Have mercy Miss Percy.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to mention that Cliff's has some great beers. Belgians, IPA's, ales and even some good lagers. Regional microbrews and some world class beers.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Tommy Chong move to Detroit in the 60's or 70's and start his career here?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Tommy Chong was in jail.

Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, I will be able to prepare for the concert properly. A little of the green dontcha know.

I should have mentioned, I am a girl....so would dressy jeans, a nice dressy top and dressy shoes work there?

Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a review that mentions the dress code as *dressy casual* so I think I might be ok.....I dont want to be turned away at the door though....

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're concerned, just give them a call!

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dressy jeans are fine almost anywhere in Detroit. I've seen people in jeans at Seldom Blues and didn't think twice about it. Same goes for Coach Insignia. I think most places would rather have patrons who look good, look well put-together, even if it is in jeans.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on today's Det News article on how fine dining restaurants are doing, I think you'd be welcome in a Speedo. I wonder if The Breakfast House & Grill still turns people down who are not dressed to their standard.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.