Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » I just saw the coolest fireworks display « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 575
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from my front yard! Anyone know if they were set off from the Fairgrounds? It was pretty large scale and coming from that direction.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard them in Royal Oak. Shook the house and nearly woke the baby. I figured they came from the fairgrounds or the racetrack.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was the fair, nice display. Of course I'm a little away from there, so the low stuff don't show up much.

Choralmike
Username: Choralmike

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the founding of Israel, held at the State Fairgrounds.

Alley

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a cool surprise :-)

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I thought the Russians were attacking, it was loud and clear with helicopters flying around way up here on 11 mile. Must be the humid air but that really carried.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, so that's what all the "Death to Zionists"-type signs and scruffy A.N.S.W.E.R. commies & dirty hippies were doing along Woodward between 7 & 8 Mile roads this evening.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey don't be knocking the Hippies they didn't drop your house value by 30 percent or make your dollar worthless, it was the lowdown, scumbag Neocons that did that.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rumbling carried all the way out here to 22 Mile Rd. and Van Dyke, which is 15 miles to the northeast! I was outside at around 9:40 pm and kept hearing what sounded like distant thunder. I kept looking around for flashes of fireworks or lightning but couldn't see anything. I came inside and checked the weather radar on the Internet but there was no rain within 100 miles. Then I surfed over here and saw this thread.

Alley

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080821/M ETRO/808210493

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6699
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the rumbling out here at the Windsor Airport too... I thought it was thunder as well.

According to the distance measuring tool on Google Maps, that's 14.3 miles south, as the crow flies...

Must have been a pretty good show for the sound to carry in a 15 mile circle...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8337
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GEEZ! Could they warn people? All the neighbors came running out and were freaking out. We were ready to pack up the cat and take off. Those were pretty damn loud.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it too. Scary.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there, yes it was the ending of the celebration for Israel's 60th. I think half of Metro Detroit Jews were there! Pretty amazing experience to see such a large event with probably 20,000+ jews in attendance!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 985
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only Jews attended?

Rogerjab

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Jew go to the fair?

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jew did what?!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought jew all knew about it... :-)

I could see it from a distance. I was personally hoping for a Star of David firework - that woulda been dope.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Green Acres we had a great view. At first we thought that Russia had invaded Detroit.(Dumb huh?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8378
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kind of thought that too. But then I thought, why?

Then I thought maybe the government had decided enough is enough and decided to carpet bomb us.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.