Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Swastikas on Skillman Branch, Detroit Public Library « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was relaxing in the park next to the downtown library with my friend Abe Lincoln last evening while reading a book. While taking a break I was admiring the library when I noticed the decorative stonework around the base of the building (around 7ft up) reveals swastikas around the building.

I recognize that this was a regular part of architectural design back in the day, but this building was constructed during the rise of the nazi party in the 1930's.

Just curious if there was ever any point of contention for this Detroit landmark.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, those symbols are on many buildings of that era, but Hitler took it and reversed it.

Also, see the Penobscot building about 5 floors up

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8355
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler ruined several things forever, that can now never be used again.

The name Adolph.
That Charlie Chaplin mustache.
The swastika.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4965
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler also stole Charlie Chaplin's moustache. Chaplin took his revenge with his movie "The Great Dictator".

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler: Ruining swastikas for the rest of us.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I'm a big american history buff, but my world history lacks a bit...what part of history do we take this symbol from in american architecture, the indian/hindu or late european influence?

(Message edited by detroitstar on August 22, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the Nazis bastardized it, it was common from the neolithic period around the world.

Buddhism, Hinduism, Native American cultures, pre-christian europe, China, and other cultures have been using it for millenia. The Nazi party intentionally chose it as propaganda in order to tie it to the beginnings of man.

It originally meant good luck and prosperity.

Rideron
Username: Rideron

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically, the swastika (in blue and reversed from the German) was also the national emblem of Finland during WWII and was on their aircraft.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The symbol has another ancient name. It is Indo-European, I gather. I found this note online on another Board:

"You will find the Swastika in many places that you wouldn't always expect to find it. During the 1900's it was often found in tile work as part of the "arts and crafts" movement.

When we were looking for houses in Grosse Pointe MI, a number of the homes had it in the tile work. You will also find it very prominent in the floor of the Detroit Athletic Club Grill Room, built in 1915 by Jewish architect Albert Kahn."

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7220
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, many ancient Roman building remains have found the reversed swastika as a pattern around the edges of colorful mosaic tile floors.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6166
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reminds me of a story from about a year ago:
Navy to Mask Swastika Look of Barracks in California.

You can still see the building in Google Earth at 32°40'34"N 117°09'28"W.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone looked at the Penobscot facade lately?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, the Hitler/Chaplin moustache is called a toothbrush moustache. Oliver Hardy had one, also.

I suppose when Hitler came along with his, Hardy said, "This is ANOTHER fine mess you've gotten me in to....."

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3034
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we're lucky Hitler didn't favor the bowler hat too.

*fiddling with bowtie* :-)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Lewis, former Red Wings coach used to have a very similar stash.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The U.S. Army even used the swastika at one time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W estern_use_of_the_Swastika_in_ the_early_20th_century

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the swastika's little sister was the fasces, which appears on lots of pre-WWII monuments, and was, in fact, on the back of the "liberty dime." Mussolini appropriated this Roman symbol for his new form of government: fascismo.

American use of ancient symbols was a way of countering the mythology of the crown. Instead of symbols of the monarchy (lions, heraldry, shields), American government would reference the ancient Roman republic for its symbols. Unfortunately, lots of fascists had the same ideas. :P

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do turtles fit in on this?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are in an airplane, take a look down at motels. Ive seen several that were shaped similar to the swastika.

Awhile back, a contractor uncovered one underneath some old flooring at the admin. building for the Walled Lake school district. They promptly got rid of it.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by Skillman today and it looked like a typical Greek Key pattern that is still common today. My roomate and I were discussing this and he reminded me of the name because I was looking right at the greek key pattern and wondering what this post was about. I had wall paper border with this also at one time. Maybe I didn't look in the right spot.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09 /27/us/27swastika.html

How does this make any sense?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.