Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Colin Hubbell passed away last night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is a better place because of him.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's ok, I'm sure Colin would understand :-) Yes, a better place because of him...

Akoper
Username: Akoper

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin Hubbell passed away last night. He had been fighting cancer on and off for years which was the cause. I have a ton of respect for him; he was a pioneer that played a major role making Detroit – and the world – a better place. He founded the Hubbell Group and redeveloped and developed property in Midtown Detroit. Going back 10 years ago, when cities like Chicago and New York probably had tens of thousands of loft units, and Detroit had basically zero legal loft conversion units, people had been moving out of city at the rate of 1,000 a month for 30 years, and there were thousands of run down houses and thousands of garbage-strewn vacant lots, he developed the Canfield Lofts near Wayne State. He has since gone on to do the Art Center Townhomes north of the DIA and 55 Canfield Lofts, where Avalon Bakery is scheduled to move. He and other small, entrepreneurial developers like Bob Slattery, Joel Landy, and Julio Bateau were/are giants in bringing money into the city, fixing up the city, developing market rate property, making Detroit prettier, and changing its reputation. At time when there had been basically no new housing permits issued in Detroit in decades, he took great risks, helped prove that it could be done, and helped lead the boom we have all seen and enjoyed in the last 6 – 8 years. Colin was a positive, smart person, and the ripple effects of what he did in terms of retaining and attracting additional money, businesses, and people to Detroit, growing the tax base, etc. are really big. He was active in promoting other development in the Midtown area, and served on the boards of several community development organizations. Detroit is worse off today than it was yesterday, the amount of good he did for Detroit is so far reaching it is hard to measure, and we are all indebted to him.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's very sad news. His was my professor for Development Practicum at UDM. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family right now. RIP

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm including info from the other thread encouraging people to share their love for Colin:

Jill Ferrari & Claire Nelson are helping Trish Hubbell collect tributes, memories and photos from friends and fans of Colin.

Here are three ways to submit:

Facebook:
"Colin Hubbell Fan Club"
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=23085938970&ref=mf

E-mail:
info@bureauliving.com

Hard-copy:
Bureau of Urban Living, 460 West Canfield Street, Detroit, MI 48201

Thank you.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck!
I never knew him that well. But I feel like I just lost another family member. He will be missed. :-( That man is a real inspiration. He should be all over the news as example for young people, not all these negative people that take up space.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry to hear this...had a great convo with him about his daughter last summer

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Colin...We will not let u down!! Colin was truly one of the best that ever did, and he will be surely missed!! I definitely took notes, His legacy will live on in the City!!

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's carry on his legacy

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a drag. Heres a photo from the 55 Canfield opening - hard to believe that was already a few years ago.

colin,kwam

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 930
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in peace my friend. You will be missed.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has lost another person it needed.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A big loss to Detroit and its redevelopment (even if he's a supporter of KK). He was a trailblazer and has forever changed Detroit in a positive direction.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. He was a wonderful and respected man in the City of Detroit—I give his family my sympathy. He was and will continue to be a positive inspiration for all including myself.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if I ever met Colin. However, I took photos at an early Detroit Synergy bike meeting. There was a very enthusiastic, well-spoken advocate who looks like Colin.

http://www.m-bike.org/gallery/ main.php?g2_view=core.Download Item&g2_itemId=1880&g2_serialN umber=2
http://www.m-bike.org/gallery/ main.php?g2_view=core.Download Item&g2_itemId=1895&g2_serialN umber=2

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 919
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What type of Cancer was he battling? We have an epidemic of Cancer with all the toxins in the foods we eat and the medicines we take. He deserves much credit for the renewed interest in the comeback and growth of Detroit.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to sound random, but did Colin live on Audubon between Mack and E. Warren on Detroit's Eastside?

YPD

Rshepha1
Username: Rshepha1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colins a great man! A man I respected quickly in my short time knowing him. I was his neighbor. He was the type of neighbor who made his presence known, even though his condition handicapped his ability somewhat. If his cancer gave him great discomfort in the neighborhood when he biked, played, walked, and communicated you never knew it, because his words spoken and involvement in what he needed to do to continue on the journey of life gave you the assurance that your need mattered more than his own need.

What I saw, heard, or choose to believe through my own experience from my father and as a father and friend, he was a great friend, father, husband, associate, community worker, and team player in everything he put his hand to.

I will truly miss his encouragement. That assurance that I'm "OK" and I matter to, as he waved from the inside (the spirit of a man) out (the physical part of man) using his daily genuine friendly smile as we crossed each others path between the brown wooden fence on a daily bases.

He always let me know, we may not be blood brothers or of the same ethic group, but he's my brother too, and we are going to get through this together!!

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 739
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YPD - Yes he did...I did too...I used to babysit his kids, and that's what hurts the most for me is thinking about them losing such a wonderful father. He will be missed in so many ways.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4972
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebuilding Detroit, one brick at a time. Thank you Colin and RIP! Your made Detroit better.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so sad....I can't believe this. Colin lived directly behind my house on Outer Dr. I grew up there from age 10-18. I didn't know his family well because his kids were much younger tham me, and my parents were not really involved with city politics or leadership.

I had no idea that he was such a contributor to the city until I read the article that he died. Wow. The last time I ran into him, I was giving a presentation at TechTown, and he recognized me, but it had been 12+ years since I saw him as my parents moved out of their home on Outer Drive just after I finished college.

It's sad that he died, and I'm even more sad that we shared a passion about Detroit, and neither of us were aware of it.

YPD

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News travels slow here in south. I just found out about this today. Sad. Had Colin for a professor at UDM as well. Who's going to stand up and fight for Detroit now? There are very few like him. Lots of talk and not a lot of action abounds. He, on the other hand, covered both of those!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.