Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Book Depository Scrapper -- right now « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's someone on the second or third floor of the book depository at 14th and Dalzelle right now smashing/scrapping the interior.

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call the police!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT'S NOT THE BOOK DEPOSITORY! IT'S THE ROOSEVELT WAREHOUSE! THIS IS NOT THE KENNEDY ASSASSINATION!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Video tape the incident (from afar). Watch out for look-outs, and try and get a license plate. Probably a low priority for the police though.

Hunchentoot

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called the police before posting here and also notified the postal vehicle maintenance building across the way, but neither seemed concerned, so then I posted here.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While your video taping see if he has any green patina looking stuff that might have come from the roof of a church?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police will put that at the level of stealing garbage. Think about it on a priority level: protect citizens, protect property etc.

At what level do you place "protect blown out burnt abandoned building filled with garbage" ?

In this particular case, the scrapper is no different than a maggot on road kill. Nobody cares about the maggot, nobody cares about the road kill.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shoot him :-), then per zug, Call the police!
If you ever see me getting pummeled on the street, don't videotape me, call the cops or help me.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it looks like the scrapper has a vehicle, you could work on disabling the vehicle. There's probably a good chance he's vehicle-less, though.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense, but being that building that Detroit probably should've demolished long ago, I doubt the police care.

Though it's not a far trip to the train station.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so let the thieves rip it off.

Leannam1989

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say scrapping is right.

I just don't know that the police really have it as a top priority when that building is probably not salvageable.

Hunchentoot

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrapping is a major problem in this city and routinely dooms buildings worthy of saving. Cracking down on scrappers should not be seen as a trivial activity, regardless of whether it's already a doomed building or not.

In the meantime, we should also crack down on billionaires who hate the public and choose to allow their properties to hasten the ruin of civilization in their decreptitudinality. Such property owners should be court-ordered to reside in their own offending buildings. Also to not be allowed to build any new bridges until everything is up to code. I mean in general, I'm not singling out any property owners in particular here.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sneak up and put nails under the tires.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 783
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Such property owners should be court-ordered to reside in their own offending buildings.

I like the way you think.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sneak up and put nails under the tires"

I'd think a burning rag in the fuel tank would go a lot further..heck, the guy would get an instant two tons of LEGAL scrap that way, and the cops would probably deem a vehicle fire worthwhile to show up for..
(Did I just type that?)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a white guy in a white dodge van is pulling metal out of it as we speak.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6182
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If it looks like the scrapper has a vehicle, you could work on disabling the vehicle.

Steal his catalytic converter. Oh, the cruel irony of justice!

BTW, this is the only page on the entire internet that Google finds when searching for the word "decreptitudinality." Great word.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Steal his catalytic converter. Oh, the cruel irony of justice!

having been both a victim of catalytic converter theft AND copper plumbing theft, that would be sweet ironic justice indeed

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leannam1989 wrote that the building is "probably not salvageable."

Well, the same thing was said about the Book Cadillac by many people. Not that the book depository/former Post Office building is in the same league as the B-C.

The point is that almost any building can be rescued, if enough money is thrown at it. But yes, it's doubtful that a savior will appear for the former schoolbook warehouse. It's probably not so much the condition of the building, but the out-of-the-way location that dooms it.

It's too bad. It was designed by Albert Kahn, and is a handsome structure, simple but not bland. Nice clean-cut lines and window treatment.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. It could be saved with a ton of money, but that would be better spent salvaging Detroit's more significant structures.

The top level is pretty cool with all those glass clerestory windows. If the building wasn't such a mess, and an easy salvage, it would make for some great studio space.

Dougw

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a white guy in a white dodge van is pulling metal out of it as we speak.

license plate #?

quote:

I'd think a burning rag in the fuel tank would go a lot further..heck, the guy would get an instant two tons of LEGAL scrap that way, and the cops would probably deem a vehicle fire worthwhile to show up for..
(Did I just type that?)

Not bad. Another one I like is the "Log Cabin Treatment": Pour a gallon or so of Log Cabin Syrup into the gas tank, and, if you can get the hood open, top off the oil and transmission fluid with some more Log Cabin. Or more practically, use a sugar-water mixture. (Disclaimer: I've never done this and have no plans to, but it would be fun to see someone else do it to a scrapper.)

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does syrup do?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What does syrup do?"

Creates a trail of buttery goodness and easy for the cops to follow Mrs. Butterworth's perfume to the perp.

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shit is good on pancakes.

Make sure it's the scrappers car though. If it turned out the scrappers drove a different car, you would feel bad for the real owner.

Dougw

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mostly it gums up the engine & fuel line. Of course you'd want to make sure it's the scrapper's car.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, syrup doesn't do nearly as much bad as legend would have you believe.
Back in high school, my shop teacher drummed the myth of "sugared" gas into our heads, lest us little darlings go out and fug up cars on devil's night..
Supposedly, what happens is that when you burn the sugar it becomes a very hard carbon, and scratches the poop out of cylinder walls as well as doing severe ring damage.
I was intrigued.
:-)
Anyway..I had a spare 3 horse Briggs & Stratten lawnmower engine that wasn't doing anything but occupying space in the shed..
Long story short, we ran about half a bag of sugar thru that little buggar..and NOTHING happened. Idle went to hell eventually, but when we ran fresh fuel thru the carb to rinse it out, all went back to normal.
Bear in mind that this is with a fuel tank that holds under a gallon of fuel, so it was far less diluted than sugar/syrup in a car's tank would have been..
Lesson learned?
A burning rag does WAY more damage and is much more satisfying to watch..if you're not quite that larcenous, grab a couple bottles of "deer scent" at your favorite sporting goods store and dump 'em in the cowl ducts at the base of the victim's windshield.
Nothing blows up or burns, but you can bet nobody will enjoy the ride for a good long time..

Dougw

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I have heard that sugar by itself actually doesn't do much. It doesn't dissolve in gasoline and it ends up being equivalent to pouring sand in the tank, which I guess gets blocked by the fuel filter so it doesn't do much. Mixed with water (like syrup) I believe it does some damage. Actually even syrup is probably too thick, watered-down syrup might be better. Maybe Coke? ;)

http://www.snopes.com/autos/gr ace/sugar.asp

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im down with ZRX on the deer scent. Ive fantasied about pulling that trick on ding dongs. The rag works better I hear though.

I was talking with Snowbank yesterday and discussed putting some deer scent all over the porch of a vacant house where all the little fuckers hang out.

Leannam1989

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coke could probably kill just about anything.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I suppose if you dropped fifty or sixty grams in the fuel tank, the van would go into cardiac arrest or something..but wouldn't that be kinda expensive?
:-)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe this thread. Way to let the dude get away with tearing up another building....

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had better do something quick...pretty soon the scrappers are going to have scrapped all the abandoned buildings and then where do you think they will go to get scrap? They'll break into our houses and steal it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.