Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What’s new with the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy?

Urgent Need for Immediate Funding

Although we have received sufficient pledges to meet our initial obligations to the City of Detroit, we have an urgent need for immediate additional funding in order to meet deadlines imposed by the City. Our next deadline is this: OTSC must raise $169,000 by September 8. The City intends to demolish the entire stadium unless we meet this deadline.

We need your help now to preserve the Tiger Stadium field and a significant portion of the stadium structure itself: the original 1912 Navin Field grandstand, the upper deck above it that was added in 1923 and the broadcast booth.

More than 75% of public donations that OTSC has already received have been deposited in an escrow account to satisfy our August 8 obligation to the city. We need your continued support to meet our future goals.

Please donate today at www.SaveTigerStadium.org or write a check payable to The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, Inc.; PO Box 141193; Detroit, MI 48214.

This is a grass roots effort and we need your support. Every donation, large or small, brings us closer to achieving our goal. Help us make history and donate today!

The Conservancy is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations made to the Conservancy are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed under the law and a receipt will be sent to you to acknowledge your donation. Additionally, all previous donations made in 2008 to the OTSC are also tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed under the law.

Upcoming Fundraiser

For those in the Detroit area…Come watch the Tigers take on the Indians on August 27 at Gusoline Alley. Recommended donation of $10 per patron, all proceeds to benefit the OTSC! Live music will be performed by Niko Frangos from the Red Hot Sugar Daddies & Mark Paul from the Salt Miners. Drink specials include $2 PBRs, $2 Warsteiners, and $2.25 well drinks. Gusoline Alley is located at 309 S. Center St. in Royal Oak. The fun gets started at 6 p.m.

iGive, We all Give!

Make OTSC your preferred beneficiary at iGive.com, which contributes a small percentage your purchases from a list of 700+ online merchants, including well-known retailers such as BestBuy, Dell, Orbitz and Staples. Our designated "Join Page" is at: http://www.iGive.com/TigerStad iumConservancy.

Detroit Historical Society

The Detroit Historical Society will be featuring Tiger Stadium in its upcoming exhibition "Fabulous 5: Detroit's Entertainment Venues." Each unique venue is an icon of Detroit's "pop culture," having created generations of enjoyable experiences for those who visited them. The exhibit opens to the public Saturday, September 13 at the Detroit Historical Museum and will run through February 2009.

The other venues to be highlighted include the Michigan State Fairgrounds, Orchestra Hall, Masonic Temple and the Fox Theater. Their histories are as varied as their architectural facades, but they all share a spot in our hearts!

Signing Off

Please feel free to forward this on to your friends. Anyone who would like to be included in our next email distribution should send a blank message to TigerStadiumConservancy@gmail. com.

Thanks for reading, and for all of your support. Together, we can preserve a piece of baseball history!

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy
PO Box 141193; Detroit, MI 48214
TigerStadiumConservancy@gmail. com
www.savetigerstadium.org
www.savetigerstadium.wordpress .com
Join the Save Tiger Stadium Facebook community:
www.facebook.com/group.php?gid =17082694267

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me silly but why are you trying to save what's left of Tiger Stadium? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be a wonderful gesture of solidarity and historical continuity with the community they play for, if a select number of current Detroit Tiger players were to donate one day's salary to the cause of the Tiger Stadium Conservancy. I realize players make contributions to other community groups of a monetary or personal kind and I salute their initiative and generosity for doing so. How about one day of passing the cap among the Tiger players to cough up enough money to save a historical structure and space where their forebears and sports heroes played.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12130
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Come watch the Tigers take on the Indians on August 27 at Gusoline Alley

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this at Nemos or Hoots. Does anyone else see the silliness of this location.

If poeple lovedTS so much they could manage to support a business next to it.

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortal...the same reason we are still trying to save any part of Detroit. The city itself is a piece of shit compared to what it used to be, but we save what we can. If we can a piece of history it is better than nothing.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortal, see the website mentioned above, and click on "The Plan" to see the plan for what would be done with the saved portion:

http://www.savetigerstadium.or g

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortal,

You seem to care very much about St. Albertus--not TS? Why?

Eap
Username: Eap

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this at Nemos or Hoots. Does anyone else see the silliness of this location.

If poeple lovedTS so much they could manage to support a business next to it.

Why not take regional support for a regional cause? Even if that means going "there" to get it. Even this site is run by one of "them".

Just let it go....

Jt1

Post Number: 12131
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EAP - The question is do people want to 'save' Tiger Stadium for comunity as many claim or for their own sense of nostalgia. If it is for the sake of the community wouldn't spending money in the community be just as beneficial?

What the city needs is viable business, dollars spent in the city and jobs.

It's unfortunate that this basic premise is lost on so many people.

Regional support is needed for job creation, he;pingthe homeless, maintaining infrastrcuture, helping the impoversihed, transit, etc.

Saving a piece of nostlagia isn't regional cooperation, it is people that want a piece of their childhood maintained. Caring about TS is a far cry from regional support.

I still contend if people can't drive the few extra miles to drive into the city to support a local business it is a sure fire sign that they want to save TS for their own nostlic reasons, not to help improve the community.

Regional support is great, I just don't see this falling into that category.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strathcona, if you can't see the difference between St. Albertus and Tiger Stadium we're in more trouble than I originally thought. But, I knew that already! One is about the salvation of the soul which I know is debatable and the other is about the salvation of the buck which requires no debate at all. I guess we've all got our own priorities. If you want to save Tiger Stadium that's fine and if I want to save St. Albertus that's fine, too. I realize that sport has become the new religion of the masses but not all of us subscribe to that thinking.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 430
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gusoline Alley benefit was initiated by Gusoline Alley. It does make sense for Nemos or Hoots to sponsor a benefit, why no one has approached them or they haven't approached the OTSC is beyond me. There has been a lot of effort on the part of the OTSC to get this thing started, but I have to say their grassroots campaign has been late out of the gate and slow starting.

I've made a couple of donations already and do not sum up this cause as nostalgia. For me, saving something of Tiger Stadium would be akin to saving something of how the game is played. As it stands now, I barely recognize the sport. Funny, how in golf everything in its past is called "Tradition" with a capital "T", but in baseball anything old is trademarked "nostalgia". Oh well, that's not how I see it.

Jt1

Post Number: 12136
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Gusoline Alley benefit was initiated by Gusoline Alley.

Thansk for the clarification.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.