Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit on First 48 on A &E « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3335
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday night at 9pm, the A&E series First 48 is focusing on Detroit. The following is the blurb from the website
"In Detroit, Sgt. Gary Diaz and Officer Kelly Mullins investigate a triple shooting that left a young mother and her friend dead. The third victim, a critically injured 18-year-old girl, is the only one who can tell them what happened. "

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 875
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Detroit episodes are all repeats. Most of them have Detective Joanne Kinney in them. (She's one of the officers assaulted by kwame.)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 631
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friends, I hate to break this to you...Detroit is ALWAYS featured on The First 48; sad fact.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think sometimes those crime shows say detroit,when many times it has been a detroit suburb.i think those crime shows sometimes make detroit look bad when they show drug houses being busted,etc, and nationwide people think its inside of detroit.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 823
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong

1. The episode on Tuesday is new.
2. Detroit is not ALWAYS on the First 48. This season they have also been in Miami, Memphis, Minneapolis, Dallas, Cincinatti, Tucson. I think they have only been in Detroit twice.
3. On this show, they work out of 1300 Beaubien St, Detroit, MI.

http://www.aetv.com/the_first_ 48/index.jsp

Chuckjav

Post Number: 632
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladia...I hear what you're writing; many times suburbanites will claim to be from Detroit for no better reason than the assumption that new friends/acquaintances (from out of state) won't know where Taylor or West Bloomfield is. I've also noticed that suburbanites call Detroit their home when the Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings are doing particularly well.

(Notice how I left the Lions out of the equation?)

Anyhoo......my point is - with regard to The First 48; the producers are indeed referring to the City of Detroit - DPD jurisdiction and-all.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 633
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iseries840....You're absolutely right; I should have said almost ALWAYS.

(Which is grammatically incorrect.)

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav, people say they're from Detroit because that's where they're from. "Detroit" extends beyond the 139 sq. mi. city limits.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 640
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina....Entirely unacceptable.
I possess the poignant and exquisite scars (physical/mental) unique to growing up within Detroit's city limits; attending the public schools.

Speak up Real Detroiters - please, second my emotions....'Ya Know!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Season 1, episode 12: Sergeant Jo Ann Kinney must turn to forensics to solve the murder of a man found dead in a brand new Cadillac Escalade.

Season 5, episode 61: A double shooting in a vacant lot leads Lt. John Morell and Sgt. LaNesha Jones to an unlikely suspect--a 61 year old man.

Season 6, episode 80: On a rainy night in Detroit, Sgt. Mike Martel finds a young man shot to death in a neighborhood yard. Martel finds he must rely on a friend of the victim's to help him close the case.

Season 6, episode 83: Officer Anthony Wright Jr. is investigating the death of a man found shot behind an abandoned house. Then Wright learns that just minutes after the homicide there had been a second shooting--and it's on tape.

Season 7, episode 94: Lead Detective Lance Sullivan investigates the murder of a woman shot in her home. Police catch their suspect driving the victim's car, but don't have enough to charge him. Now Sullivan must race to collect evidence for a murder warrant before his suspect can post bail.

I seem to remember one more Detroit episode where a guy 'jumped in the water' and divers had to find him. With that and the new one coming up, that makes 7 Detroit episodes out of 99 total. HARDLY ALWAYS, not even really close to almost always
http://www.aetv.com/the_first_ 48/episodes/index.jsp

Jcole

Post Number: 3350
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like Memphis is on more than Detroit is.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 580
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, there's a lot of Memphis, Dallas, and Miami. Can you tell I love that show?

Jcole

Post Number: 3351
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got that feeling.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 641
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True enough....Memphis & Miami lead the way.

Graceful
Username: Graceful

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone catch this episode??

Don't read below if you don't want a spoiler..................

I knew Vincent Smothers looked familiar when I saw his picture on The First 48. Then it hit me...he's the same guy that was contracted to kill that Detroit Police Officer's wife in the CVS parking lot. CRAZY!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the episode tonight. The only living victim of the 'hit' on the one male victim was treated at St. John's. It was a crime on the Eastside. I didn't recognize the apartment building. The two young females were bound in the apt. after made to call the male victim on the phone to 'come over and help jump my car'. When he came, the 'hit man' went out and killed him, and the other shooter in the apt. shot the two young girls. The 'hit' guy didn't know about the other shooting the girls (or so he said).

I wish I could remember the last name of the murdered girl. She went by the name of Angel.

Her best friend was left with only one eye (shot in the face), and permanently scarred psychologically and emotionally. Angel had a baby son. I am so very sorry to all of their families and hope that Angel's best friend can make a somewhat happy life for herself. She was worried that she is no longer pretty. Poor baby girl. They said that the girls were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This was a new show. Detroit is not featured that much, we watch it all the time. Mostly Miami, Memphis, Kansas City, then Arizona.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Chuckjav, people say they're from Detroit because that's where they're from. "Detroit" extends beyond the 139 sq. mi. city limits."

I agree. You don't get the right to call yourself a Detroiter unless you have to put up with all the schitt that goes on in this town on a daily basis. The Pointes, for example, may be close to Detroit geographically but might as well be a world away.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk....Right-On!

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, I love that show too...a relative of mine worked with Detective Lance Sullivan some time ago ( at a 2nd job, not DPD ). He was shot in the line of duty a few years ago, very close call, but the perp was eventually caught in another state, after a traffic stop. I watched the show last night also.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good show, paints the police department in a very positive light, they always get their man. I watch it and do not get the sense that Detroit is less safe than any of the other cities featured like Minnieapollis, Tucson or Cincinatti. I see a LOT of repeats from Memphis which looks like it has a lot more crime then we do.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10336
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, but Memphis doesn't more crime than Detroit.

Chuckjav, you aren't my friend...

Chuckjav

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat...oh well; I'll still offer you a Stroh's at the next Detroityes picnic

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10339
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as it is in a rust encrusted tin I am in.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav, I was born in Detroit and lived here for the first 10 years of my life. I've now been working in the city for the last 6 years. Can I call myself a Detroiter?

Too bad, I'm going to anyway. Who cares what the reason is for calling yourself a Detroiter. Maybe if more people identified positively enough with the city to call themselves a Detroiter things would get better. Rose colored glasses they may be, but who does it hurt?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to (briefly) stay on-topic.....
What I truly enjoy about The First 48: the goofy-ass aliases used by criminal suspects.

Goat...Stroh's from a rusty tin can, pre pull-tab era, that is truly hardcore!

Gencinjay...You certainly do qualify as a Detroiter. Sounds to me that you care about Detroit - the City of Detroit; that is what makes someone a true Detroiter.

I was born in Athens, Ohio; lived in Detroit from age seven, straight through high school. Although I frequently visit family members that remain in Detroit, I have not lived there since.

I will always be from Detroit.

Cargo_kitty
Username: Cargo_kitty

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched that episode last night and the gunman was Vincent Smothers, the guy accused of killing Rose Cobb, the wife of the Detroit police officer that was murdered last Christmas Eve in the CVS parking lot.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see the episode where a Lt.'s nephew did a drive by on somebody on 96? They found a cell phone under the seat of the shooter vehicle that had the Lt's phone number. The look on the detectives face when he realized that there was a connection to DPD was priceless.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.