Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Lesson for Detroit from Philadelphia « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 876
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this report on Nightline tonight. Very interesting. Get these two guys to Detroit!

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/S tory?id=5618676&page=1

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three hundred and ninety-two people were murdered on the streets of Philadelphia last year.

I have a solution but most democrats would oppose it.

Detroit loves crime. It keeps the populace at bay.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2774
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our police numbers should be close to Philly's. They have 6700. We need at least 6000. Hopefully we can get some money from an Obama administration to hire more cops.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6221
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you figure? Philly has a population of 1.45 million, Detroit is off of that by about a half-a-million.

Panda
Username: Panda

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...get as many video cameras as possible in here ASAP.

"Padre, these are subtleties! We are not concerned with motives, with the higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime!"

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know approximately how many people are in the Detroit PD?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12134
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit loves crime. It keeps the populace at bay.

what an assinine statement. The majority of the people in this city are hurt because of crime. Implying that the populace as a whole, or even majority loves crime is completely ignorant.

You should make an attempt to get to know some people in the city. Peoplefighting to improve their neighborhoods, people workign to give their kids opportunity, people struggling due to crime.

We have too few officers, a weak court system that continues to put criminals on the streets and people that are scared and victimized by this. Your statement is devoid of thought and ignorant.

Detroit PD has around 3000 officers (I believe a little less). One thing the city needs to do is shift the non police work of PD to civilian employees. Most large metros do that, we don'tand we have officers doing things that are below their area of expertise.

DPD and all city departments should leverage every best practice imaginable.

Jt1

Post Number: 12135
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have a solution but most democrats would oppose it.

By all means let's hear your nugget of wisdom.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit and Philadelphia are so much alike it amazes me. I spend significant time working in Philly, and yet I always feel like I am at home in Detroit.

There is much that we can learn (good and bad) from the city that boos Santa. They have completely revamped their CBD, used history to preserve their identity created viable neighborhoods 1 project at a time, and yet they still have some of americas greatest slums.

Sounds remarkably like what is going on here...relatively speaking.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has about 3200 patrol officers and another 400 in command. Check it out on the budget which is online on the city's website. I spoke to the police chief 2 weeks ago and she confirmed that that they are at 3200 and way undermanned. Compare this to almost 5000 budgeted and 4800 on the job in 2000 and 6000 in the mid to late seventies before the big cuts of 1979-82.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I remember they were hiring police in 2000 when I got back here, then when KK came soon after came the layoffs. Philly is not like Detroit, they get alot of help from the state level and from washington.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was referring to the lack of police response in Detroit. They have a HUGE problem and the city cannot come to grips with it.
It was a tongue in cheek sarcastic line.
I do know that they are doing a great job for the resources they have. A couple friends of mine are cops.

My solution is: Give guns to non felons to protect themselves along with training. This would cut down on a majority of violent crimes and save the city on hiring more cops.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They brought the layoff cops back a 2 years ago along with more classes hired. They have a class about to start. Still nowhere near enough.

Bring in the National Guard or Army (especially now that they are combat hardened and not the early arriving 1967 riot morons who helped escalate the riot(it wasn't until close to the end of the riot that they brought in Vietnam experienced troops who didn't freak out and taunt the populace but DID take care of business when it was needed).

Jt1

Post Number: 12141
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty - My bad. I did not pick up the sarcasm.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC the National Guard would be worthless, as they have no police powers. They would only be for show.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 760
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will take show for now. How many criminals would know the the National Guard wouldn't have any authority if they were patrolling some of the roughest parts of the D. Hell deputize there asses. :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4942
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The National Guard in Detroit would be a recipe for disaster. Let the Guard patrol the rest of the state and move all of the State Police to Detroit.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 493
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd also like to mobilize citizens in the communities to help patrol. Of course they couldn't (and shouldn't) pursue criminals but citizen being seen patrolling and watching over neighborhoods would be a deterrent. Plus they could radio to the cops if they saw a violent crime in commission.

Disclaimer: This is not in place of more cops, this is in addition to more cops.

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on August 24, 2008)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that a large number of the citizenry swear by "no snitchin"

The criminals in Detroit know that no one is going to tell on them, so it wouldn't matter if there were citizens in the streets.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 494
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously, we wouldn't have the ones who have a "no snitching" policy patrolling. It would be the ones who want to better the neighborhood and lower crime. Besides, I think it's an exaggeration that most people won't tell if they see a crime committed. Police relationships with the community and response time has more to do with that than protecting criminals.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6224
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, yeah, no kidding. Yeah, Detroit's problem is that there aren't enough guns. lol It's actually be funny if 1. It were true and 2. Most law-abiding folks didn't already have a gun, 'cause from my anecdotal experience, most do.

No, you want to know what would help Detroit? Taking to heart the fact that at least 70% of murders are drug-related, and that the "War on Drugs" hasn't worked, isn't working, and isn't going to work, and then doing something else about it.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 24, 2008)

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. I still think a battle tested soldier patrolling a street or block in the city with an M-16 at his side would do wonders to reduce crime.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6226
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it you're not familiar with history of the National Guard patrolling urban areas, huh?

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah it worked wonder in New Orleans

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The key to stopping crime is a vigilant population, good police response and better parenting.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.